Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Page Error! in ePub

I would be very grateful if someone here can offer me advice on this issue:

I have a book where I can page through the first 10% or so of the book, and all the pages work just fine. But when I get to a specific page, my reader throws a "Page Error!" message. Once the book gets in this state, I can't get back to the functioning pages without deleting the book from the reader, and re-loading it from Calibre, and starting over.

This happens on the same page, on both my PRS-350 and my PRS-650.

The book is in ePub format. I converted it to ePub from a Topaz format book, using Calibre. It's rather large, 6.6MB in size.

The ePub works just fine when I view it in the viewer in Calibre. I don't see anything strange about it.

I brought it up in the tweak ePub area in Calibre and rebuilt the ePub to no avail.

So then I installed Sigil and used that to examine the book. I can't see any difference between the html file for the last working page and the html file for the first non-working page.

Note that while I have some rudimentary knowledge of html I am hardly an expert, and I've never worked with Sigil before - I downloaded it specifically to try to fix this book. I found a "Validate ePub" button in Sigil and tried it; it did not find any errors.

The TOC in this book is a little funny; if you click on a chapter, it takes you to the page before that chapter starts. Therefore I tried running the "Generate TOC from headings" tool in Sigil, and re-saved after doing so. I saved the ePub under a new name and imported it to Calibre, and sent it to my device, and the error remains.

Does anyone have any advice about this error? I'm guessing it's fairly generic. Is there any sort of a debug log, that might tell me more details about it? Are there any known common issues in normal ePub files, that can choke the Sony readers?

Thanks!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
When you rebuilt in Calibre did you re-save it before trying it again? Sorry if an obvious thing but changes aren't fixed unless the book is explicitly reconverted from epub to epub as others have found... you could also try a convert to lrf and see if that works...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did not reconvert from ePub to ePub. And I didn't think of trying an LRF. Thanks, I will put both of those in my toolbox for future cases.

But in the meantime I think I may have solved this another way...

I got to wondering, why is this ePub file so large? I started poking around trying to see where all this size comes from. I brought it up again in the Tweak ePub area in Calibre, and specifically looked for an answer to this question. I found that the images folder contained a lot of JPG files, which is as I would expect, those would be the illustrations. But the real space eaters were the SVG files. 96 of them. What are these? I didn't know. I googled and it turns out SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics. Just a wild guess, but I suspect the ePub doesn't use these - I bet these are remnants of the Topaz file I converted from.

I already had made a backup of the ePub. So I tried just deleting the *.svg files wholesale. Then I re-assembled the ePub file. This brought its size down from 6.6 MB to 2.0 MB. I deleted the copy on my PRS-350, and sent a fresh copy. I can now page past the point where it was failing before.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try the ePub in ADE. You cannot use Calibre's viewer as a test viewer. It's not ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Another issue is that the individual html files within the ePub need to be reasonably small. Someone in the Calbire section(IIRC) had an issue with epubs where the whole book was a single html file.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
elizilla
Addict

I experimented with bringing back the original 6.6MB ePub file and doing an ePub to ePub conversion. It did not take out those svg files when I did this. I had to go in and delete them manually.

The ePub contains many small html files, so I don't think an oversized html file is the issue here.

The ePub with the svg files removed, is working great. I have read a hundred pages of it on my PRS-350 since I last posted. I think taking them out, is all it needed.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've seen the issue in my Sony when I use files that I convert to ePub originally with Scrivener. I've had to put them into Calibre and then copy for it to work again.

The LRF file will be your best bet to make a conversion from. If you have a large illustrated book, you might be running into RAM issues also with the Sony not being able to store that much data in its memory bank. Pure speculation, but ya never know.

I think there's a program out there that checks your ePub for errors. Try just converting it to a DOC file or one of Sony's other readable formats and see if that page is still screwy.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur
melkorbauglir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650,LG G7 ThinQ,Samsung S5 Active,Pocketbook InkPad 3
I have one epub convert always erroring in my PRS-650,just looked it in ADE-readable.So ADE might not be tool to check epubs 100%.
melkorbauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Topaz is basically a set of images (SVG) with OCRed text n the backround for searching, or so I understand. We hate Topaz, but some books are only available through Amazon in Topaz because they are old and were scanned rather than created with HTML. You should be okay deleting them, and yes you will have to delete them manually as calibre wouldn't know which images are used and which are not.

Calibre also has a setting to make sure HTML files do not exceed the size limit. If they are too big it can break them into smaller files.

Your book was probably just poorly formatted and at some point the reader puked on it. After all, Topaz to ePub is quite a stretch and a lot can get screwed up in the process.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

I have some html scanned converts,on opening those,PRS not puke....it drops dead (i must restart reader).Feel free to try

Both reads fine on PC in ADE.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Page erroring book 1.epub (361.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: epub page erroring book 2.epub (442.3 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 07-28-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
elizilla
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkorbauglir View Post
I have some html scanned converts,on opening those,PRS not puke....it drops dead (i must restart reader).Feel free to try

Both reads fine on PC in ADE.
These have html files that are too large. As Pinecone said up above.

The ePub is basically a zip file with a complete website for the book, embedded in it. Most of them have hundreds of html files that are each a couple pages of the book, around 10k apiece. Your ePubs contain the entire text of the book in a single html file that is around 2500k. I think the problem you are having is because this html file is too large for the memory of the device. It needs to be broken out into smaller chunks.

You can download Sigil and use it to do this.

Also I suspect you should not link those files here, because they are in violation of copyright - the mods will probably delete them soon.

Last edited by elizilla; 07-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Epub segments shouldn't exceed 300K for Sony eReaders, ideally 260K... this is the interior chunks within the epub and is one of the things that calibre will do when you save epub to epub with the default settings...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

Thanks for tip....so 2500 kb html is too big.What is safe for epub for PRS-650?2 mb?Calibre can split too,never tryed yet,but i saw the options.

Sorry,didnot noticed post above.Thx for numericals,it might explain,why some stuff acts so nastily on my 650.

Just asking...as original .prc is 300 kb...its some zip derivative also?

Last edited by melkorbauglir; 07-28-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur

I set hardlimit for Calibre 250 kb for epub output in general options,and those 2 nasty epubs started to work.Big thanks for filesize limit mentioning.I had not slightest idea.

On side note,russians warn only to use translit...aka ANSI (i think) for folder and book names,stored on SD or MS cards.No cyrillic there,as content generally not showing.