Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
*shudder* iTunes. I'm sure it's great on Macs, but I really came to hate that beast and its many tentacles on Windows. For my audiobooks, I just use folders, and loosely organized ones at that. My audiobook players are my Android phone and tablet, so I just navigate to my PC Audiobooks folder over WiFi and grab the folder for my next 'read,' then delete it from the device(s) when I'm done.
I think iTunes is the best thing since sliced bread, personally. I use it for cataloguing all my media files. Excellent program, and best of all it's free!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #32
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can only be converted if it's DRM-free, and the whole point of libraries using WMA is that it's a format that supports DRM.
When I use The Overdrive software to send a WMA to my iPods, it does get converted, since iPods don't support WMA. I haven't found a WMA book I could not send over.

This may be diffent in the UK. I can't, for instance, transfer WMAs from the German library system to anything but the most obscure players, and old Windows phones that are not being sold any more, because they need to support DRM 10. The German system Onleihe banked on a very outdated format, so now you are basically stuck with listening on your computer, or those old MP3 players if you can still find them. The format is so outdated that it took me hours to install some security patch to Windows Media - one that is surely not even needed any more, since I doubt that the newer versions of WM have that specific security issue that Onleihe identified years ago.

Last edited by xendula; 02-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can only be converted if it's DRM-free, and the whole point of libraries using WMA is that it's a format that supports DRM.
OverDrive's DRM'd WMA's can be converted by using the Windows OverDrive software in conjunction with iTunes to transfer the audiobook to an iThing. It's an agreement between OverDrive and Publishers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I use iTunes (I have a mac) because its easy and it just works. Theres an alternative on Mac and PC called Songbird so maybe you iTunes-haters could take a look at that.

I often find myself with an audiobook with multiple MP3 files. and for these I use an application called Audiobook builder which converts it to the audiobook format that iTunes recognises as audiobook as opposed to music, so I dont need to make playlists and I dont have files scattered all through my general music collection. Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Audiobook builder is nothing short of brilliant. and theres a free trial. Theres a free app also, called Audiobook Binder which does much the same job. I have a/b builder because it was first. Both are also on the Mac app store.

I'm sure there must be PC equivalents, I just havent found a need to find one.

[edit] So I went looking and I found Chapter and Verse, and Chapters, both of which look more than adequate to the task

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added URL for Songbird
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ In iTunes, I usually just make sure to tag them as audibook files, check the correct order of the parts, and uncheck the shuffle option from the settings. That moves them to the books menu of my iPods and books section on iTunes, so they don't interfere with the music at all.

Last edited by xendula; 02-02-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #36
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I often find myself with an audiobook with multiple MP3 files. and for these I use an application called Audiobook builder which converts it to the audiobook format that iTunes recognises as audiobook as opposed to music, so I dont need to make playlists and I dont have files scattered all through my general music collection. Its the only thing that makes sense to me.
Like Xendula said, you're jumping through a lot of hoops to get around a limitation that doesn't exist. I haven't used iTunes in years, but when I did and I had mp3 audiobooks or other spoken word, I'd just shift-select all the tracks, right-click and (iirc) Edit Metadata (or maybe it's "info" in iTunes) where there was a drop-down menu for Media Type (or something to that effect). One of the options is "audiobook," which will separate those tracks from your music in iTunes and on any Apple device.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #37
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Like Xendula said, you're jumping through a lot of hoops to get around a limitation that doesn't exist.
Actually thats not what he said. He just explained how he manages it. And there are no hoops. One app, a couple of clicks, done.

Quote:
... I haven't used iTunes in years, but when I did and I had mp3 audiobooks or other spoken word, I'd just shift-select all the tracks, right-click and (iirc) Edit Metadata (or maybe it's "info" in iTunes) where there was a drop-down menu for Media Type (or something to that effect). One of the options is "audiobook," which will separate those tracks from your music in iTunes and on any Apple device.
You have every right to do it how you wish. I happen to think my way makes more sense. I find my method easy. Shiftclick select to the app, title and author/reader, click make audiobook. End of. Transfer to itunes audiobook section is done by the application. No need to edit other metadata except for a cover if you want one. (and yes, its in info in iTunes... but I still dont want multiple files when one or two will do, and are bookmarkable.)

The information I provided above is for people who haven't got an aversion to iTunes, and who dont feel inclined to edit the metadata.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 02-02-2013 at 02:12 AM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #38
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alrighty then. Silly me, thinking the easiest way to have iTunes identify your audiobooks would be to identify them as audiobooks in iTunes.

Personally, my favorite layout for audiobooks is one mp3 per chapter, named with the chapter number. It helps when you're jumping between devices, or prone to falling asleep while listening and need to backtrack. One or two big tracks are the worst for that, though still manageable.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #39
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Alrighty then. Silly me, thinking the easiest way to have iTunes identify your audiobooks would be to identify them as audiobooks in iTunes.

Personally, my favorite layout for audiobooks is one mp3 per chapter, named with the chapter number. It helps when you're jumping between devices, or prone to falling asleep while listening and need to backtrack. One or two big tracks are the worst for that, though still manageable.
Staying in iTunes makes more sense to me as well, but many roads lead to Rome.

What I can't understand is why Overdrive and Audible, and even ebook readers with TTS have a sleep function built into the app, while the iPod music app forces you to leave the app, click through bazillion screens, set it, then go back to the app. What the heck, Apple?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #40
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I use PowerAmp for Android, and Sleep Timer is a top-level menu option, so you can set it without leaving the "Now Playing" screen.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
*shudder* iTunes

A relative gave me an iPod Touch two Christmases ago. I think they hate me
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #42
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I know there's a lot of hate for iTunes, but I like it. It does what I need it to do, which is manage the music, audiobooks, and podcasts for three people. Of course, we all have ipods (of various generations), so it works well with our devices. I tried a Sansa device (I forget which one) with Windows Media or what ever it was called, and couldn't figure out how to get piodcasts on it, and getting books into playlists was a nightmare -I gave up totally.

I'm sure I'm giving up flexibility and maybe giving up technical elegance, but I was able to use the iTunes interface right away to do what I need to do.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
lashley
lashley began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also prefer ITunes
lashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I know there's a lot of hate for iTunes, but I like it. It does what I need it to do, which is manage the music, audiobooks, and podcasts for three people. Of course, we all have ipods (of various generations), so it works well with our devices. I tried a Sansa device (I forget which one) with Windows Media or what ever it was called, and couldn't figure out how to get piodcasts on it, and getting books into playlists was a nightmare -I gave up totally.
You don't need WMP for Sansa Clip if that is the one. It's pretty much drag and drop into folders and you're done. You don't need playlists for books either. As long as they are tag properly they play in order and are in the Book section.

I'm not a iTunes hater but I don't do apple products. I use MediaMonkey for Podcasts on my PC, Dogcatcher for Podcasts on my Tablets.

As for Audiobooks I use my Sansa Clip. As for organizing them I just user a folder system and I tag them all properly using MP3Tag.
If I listen to books on my Tablet I use Akimbo for mp3 and Audible for my Audibles. I don't see a need to organize my Audible and they stay on sever till ready to load onto device.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #45
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Audible really needs to allow the user to tag audiobooks and sort by those tags or sort by series so that way you can gate to the next book without hunting through the other 20 books by that author (and put them in order with the series)
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote