Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony ran out of Pearl screens?

I can't otherwise explain this...

igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I believe that they have decided not to go with (or continue with) the black model for whatever reason. This same message is displayed at other retailers of the PRS-950 that initially had the black model for sale.

Did anyone get a black model PRS-950?

*edit* never mind. I see that is the PRS-650.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Pre-Christmas fever probably
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
PRS-650BC is still available at sonystyle.ca
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, I would understand "Temporary Out of Stock". But "No longer available for purchase" is usually used for discontinued models...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is very odd. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Still selling in the UK in both black and silver
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-rea...ok/prs650b.cew
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Entu
Ice queen
Entu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just ordered black edition today...
Entu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Hope they don't release a new version right now that contains better stuff for cheaper ;-)
Just got my cover and charger...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Oh well, so much for buying the 650 in the near future. Only available in that reddish/burgundyish color. Unbelievable. Why offer an electronic device only in red!? Instant turnoff. Trying to force people to buy the 950.

Last edited by SCION; 11-30-2010 at 08:58 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
averyml
averyml began at the beginning.

Device: N800
I just bought a black one Sunday from an actual store, so if you have one near you, you might not be completely out of luck...
averyml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
The black is still available at NewEgg ($230), and supposedly at MicroCenter (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0347115) for $200, though it lists as shipping in 5-7 days.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've been wondering what is up with the 650 for a long time. The non-Sony Style stores in my area carry the 350 and 950 in very limited numbers, but I've never seen a 650 in the wild. I wonder if it because the K3 uses the same 6" Pearl screen whereas the 350 and 950 use 5" and 7" screens? With Sony trying to compete with Amazon for 6" screens I would assume Amazon would win the competition. If I were a supplier I would give preference to the huge quantity buyer who promotes their reader (Amazon) and thumb my nose at a mamby-pamby buyer like Sony who might have sold 1% as many units at best. I'll be very surprised if Sony stays in the reader market much longer. They just don't seem to care if they sell any readers or not!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-30-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I have to say that the music feature is fairly useless without folders, or bookmarking for books and podcasts; I know folks here are really into lots and lots of items (hundreds, if not thousands), but the average consumer who wants a few books for a trip (say 10), isn't going to be that interested in a storage card. So, if the 650 is being discontinued - no more produced when current stock is sold off - I can see that making sense from a business point-of-view. The 950 with its wireless capability for Wikipedia lookups and wireless purchases remains the Kindle competitor, with the 350 filling a niche the others really can't match.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Well, they won't be selling much 950s for $300 given the "perceived" competition. The $250 should have been permanent. Even that may be too much for the average consumer and even some enthusiasts.

Last edited by SCION; 11-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote