Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #76
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I think that I would like to buy iBirds Pro for Android.

However, I don't know that it will work properly on the IQ. However, there is a FREE version called iBird Lite. I think that it only has the data for 30 birds - basically a teaser. However, if iBird Lite worked well, then I would have sufficient confidence to buy iBird Pro for $US20.

1) Can someone point me to iBird Lite download? I have been unable to find iBird Lite outside the Android Market - which the IQ does not have access. I don't have an Android phone.

2) If it works, how can I buy iBird Pro? I have attempted contacting "Mitch Waite Group", the developers - but have no response.

Wouldn't it be great if "Bookland" sold the for cost Android Market apps that work on the IQ!
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #77
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Device: IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
1) Can someone point me to iBird Lite download? I have been unable to find iBird Lite outside the Android Market - which the IQ does not have access. I don't have an Android phone.
you could try this link on your pocketbook:
http://www.androidzoom.com/web/indic...&dwnld=8968744
RezzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #78
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
Also, how did anyone download Dolphin HD?
There are ways to run the android market other than on the device.

But for Dolphin HD, they have it on SlideMe 4.0.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #79
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
But for Dolphin HD, they have it on SlideMe 4.0.
Found it, thanks.

As a Android newbie I was wondering if every time that I open an app it stays open even if I click home. On windows I can see in the task bar what's happening, but here I seem lost as to the minute to minute happenings of my device. On my task bar I can even see the amount of memory etc. used.

How would I close the app without clicking back a hundred times? Is there an app that acts like a task bar? I saw some people recommending here Advanced task something, I've read somewhere that it slowed other people's devices down. Is this the case for anyone here?

Also, do I need an anti virus? I'm really concerned about who has access to what. I'm installing browsers, email clients and other apps and I have no idea how those apps use my data. Is there some kind of data control software that can be used to control this? I feel like an 100 year old person seeing some new technology and feeling completely not in control Lucky we don't have GPS on this or I would have been really worried.

M

P.S. when ending a sentence with a emoticon, is it proper grammar to include a period before or after the icon, or maybe no period at all?

Last edited by myle00; 12-13-2010 at 06:16 PM.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are apps for taskbar functionality but the two I tried didn't seem to work.
However, there are (undocumented, of course) shortcuts.

Click-and-hold the back button will on *some* apps offer up a dialog box to choose between minimizing and closing the app.
Clicking Home will usually take you to the home screen.
Click-and-hold on the home button will offer up a box with recently open apps and (if the app is still running) tapping on its icon will switch back to it.

Just don't expect consistency.
These shortcuts only work when they work.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #81
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I had been at AndroidZoom before. I just realized that "You are not authorized" really is that I am in Mexico now.

I will be back in the United States this weekend and will try again then.

Thanks for the help. I'll update status if I am successful.

Geographical restrictions! They are enough to get one to go to "the dark side".
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #82
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
How would I close the app without clicking back a hundred times? Is there an app that acts like a task bar? I saw some people recommending here Advanced task something, I've read somewhere that it slowed other people's devices down. Is this the case for anyone here?

Also, do I need an anti virus? I'm really concerned about who has access to what. I'm installing browsers, email clients and other apps and I have no idea how those apps use my data. Is there some kind of data control software that can be used to control this? I feel like an 100 year old person seeing some new technology and feeling completely not in control Lucky we don't have GPS on this or I would have been really worried.
You need to install a task killer to be able to close apps. Since Android is designed for smartphones, the apps always stay open and you need to kill the process to close it. Advanced Task Killer is the one I would recommend.

Since it is based on Linux, there is no need for an anti-virus for now. However, there are exploits so you need to be careful about what you download. There is one nasty exploit that use the Android web browser so the best thing would be to disable javascripts in the browser and use another browser such as Dolphin or Opera Mini.

Hope it helps!
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #83
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There are lots of task managers, which spun off exactly because of the inconvenient ways to use the native one. My personal favorite is Advanced Task Killer.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #84
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nathan at the ebook-reader blog has updated his Android Reading apps pack to include the much improved Kindle for Android Version 2.0.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/
Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #85
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nathan at the ebook-reader blog has updated his Android Reading apps pack to include the much improved Kindle for Android Version 2.0.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...allation-pack/
Tell us about the updated Kindle please. Are we allowed now to turn pages with volume buttons?

EDIT: "The UI has been tweaked, with the option to use your Android smartphone’s volume keys to control page turns, and the chapter title now included in the reader status bar; there’s also zoom functionality for images and graphics."

Yay!

Loved Kindle app already. Now with color mags and papers! And volume key page turning.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-18-2010 at 02:29 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #86
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

And no crashes and it properly shows the covers of sideloaded ebooks.
If only it supported arbitrary TrueType fonts...!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #87
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Anyone noticing the irony?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #88
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Anyone noticing the irony?
Honesty trumps irony, no?

Plus, one of the selling points of the IQ from the moment it was announced was its ability to run Kindle as well as other reader apps.

More info?
Here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374495,00.asp

Excellent image zoom approach (straight out of the MS Reader playbook), and in-app store support which is impossible on the iPxxx (due to Apple policies). It is "the most powerful kindle app" this side of a kindle reader.
It's only missing the audible support (provided by a separate app) and TTS to fully match the K3 reader app.

As for the Kindle app's inability to access epub or library ebooks, well, that's what overdrive's app is for.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #89
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the kindle app also allows for subscription magazines and newspapers now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/k...egrated-web-s/

Quote:
Version 2.0 of Amazon's Kindle for Android software has snuck out tonight, bringing with it access to the company's library of newspapers and magazines, the ability to purchase content in-app, and the freedom to choose where you want to store the app itself, which is now happy to reside on your microSD card.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #90
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Honesty trumps irony, no?

Plus, one of the selling points of the IQ from the moment it was announced was its ability to run Kindle as well as other reader apps.

More info?
Here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374495,00.asp

Excellent image zoom approach (straight out of the MS Reader playbook), and in-app store support which is impossible on the iPxxx (due to Apple policies). It is "the most powerful kindle app" this side of a kindle reader.
It's only missing the audible support (provided by a separate app) and TTS to fully match the K3 reader app.

As for the Kindle app's inability to access epub or library ebooks, well, that's what overdrive's app is for.
Hey, but the mags and papers are in color.

As for the irony: . Got me there. But I am reading mostly english books anyway.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote