Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
gumhead
gumhead doesn't littergumhead doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Returning kindle 3

Here is my situation I purchased a new kindle 6 weeks ago and the home key has faded quite noticeably and I have contacted customer service via email.
They have quite promptly replied that I should contact them over the phone to see if I will need a replacement. My problem is that I purchased the kindle with my canadian credit card and had it sent to my canadian address as a gift. Upon recieving it I registered it using a us address so I can access amazon.com which has a better selection of books as opposed to amazon.ca.
If I contact them via phone will they again send it to my canadian address, do I need to deregister from my us address (not a real address) and reregister to my canadian address. I have ordered quite a few books from amazon.com already without issue and don't want to loose access ( I use an IP hider program when ordering). Will I be able to transfer the books from the old kindle to the new one. I am worried that bringing attention to myself may cause them to cancel or restrict me to only amazon.canada.....
Any ideas or past experience would be helpful

Last edited by gumhead; 11-16-2010 at 01:12 PM.
gumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I don't know what address they will ship it to. I would guess they will ship to whatever address you have 'active' at the time. Ask them. I do think you probably jumped through more hoops then you needed to.

I am in canada as well. I have both my real canadian address set up and also a US address set up on my amazon account. I switch back and forth between the 2 addresses as necessary.

If I am using my US address, I can easily buy off the US kindle store using my canadian credit card. trick is to download the file to your pc and load it to your kindle from there instead of using wispersync.

Don't fall into a trap thinking that the US store is always the better place to buy. I've found on multiple occasions that when the book is available in both stores, the canadian store is way cheaper.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Call them. They will undoubtedly ship to whatever address you want. They know they have a problem with these, and they're ACTIVELY trying to be helpful and do whatever it takes to make it right.
Just got off the phone with them on my wife's WiFi Kindle. Offered Overnight shipping without a quibble. Would have shipped to Canada had I not said "no, don't bother. She's going to be in the US next week anyway, so ship to our US address and she'll pick it up there. "
Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ How does that work if they replace under warranty? Do they send you a box or something so you can return the defective one?
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
They send you an email with a return label (prepaid), and tell you to put it (but none of the accessories, etc.) in a shipping bag/box/whatever. (They suggest the original box for it if you still have it. But clearly they are NOT concerned or trying to make it hard at all.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
You will not lose access to your books bought with your fake address if you change this address to a canadian one.
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You just send it back in the box your new one comes in. But don't send the plug and USB lead as they don't send you replacements for those, just the kindle
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
As a Canadian, I've had EXCELLENT results dealing with Amazon Customer Service. They bent over backwards to live up to Amazon's vision of "the best customer experience of any company on the planet."

Call them. They'll sort it out for you.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
What do you need in order to return it?
I mean if you got it from a 3-rd person (for example e-bay) is there a way to do it?
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Send it back to them in the box they send you the new Kindle in.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
You just send it back in the box your new one comes in. But don't send the plug and USB lead as they don't send you replacements for those, just the kindle
I had to exchange my Kindle twice, and each time they sent me new cords. Now I have three.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Slightly off topic from the original poster, I have had my kindle for just 2 weeks and it no longer switches on, I live in South Africa and had to phone the US to get a replacement organised, it's still not clear to me if I have to send them the defective one before the replacement arrives or if I can wait and send them the defective one once I have received the new one. Logically I would have thought for a replacement that you would simply swap it with the replacement and the courier company would then return it to Amazon, below is part of the email that I received from Amazon:

Quote:
[IF RETURN IS REQUIRED, ADD:
Remember to back up your personal content to your computer. When you return your Kindle, please do not return your power adapter, USB cable, manual, any accessories or other items that shipped with your Kindle. When we send a replacement, we'll send you a Kindle only without any additional accessories.

Please insert the Kindle into a plastic bag, put it in original packaging if available, and send it back to us within 30 days from the date of this e-mail. If we don't receive the device by then, you'll be charged for the replacement Kindle.]

Please mail your return to:

172 Trade Street
Lexington, KY 40511 USA

You will want to ship it with tracking and insure it.

Please write the reason for your return on the packing slip, put the slip in the package you're using, and wrap the package securely. Please indicate the cost of shipping you paid with your return (either on the packing slip inside of the box or written on the return label outside of the box). We’ll use this amount to reimburse your return shipping costs.

After you have shipped out the malfunctioning unit, please send us the tracking information and shipping cost using the link below so we can issue a refund
The bit that baffles me is "If return is required" I don't know!
Anyway for what it's worth
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
Slightly off topic from the original poster, I have had my kindle for just 2 weeks and it no longer switches on, I live in South Africa and had to phone the US to get a replacement organised, it's still not clear to me if I have to send them the defective one before the replacement arrives or if I can wait and send them the defective one once I have received the new one. Logically I would have thought for a replacement that you would simply swap it with the replacement and the courier company would then return it to Amazon, below is part of the email that I received from Amazon:

The bit that baffles me is "If return is required" I don't know!
Anyway for what it's worth
Cheers
Paul
Yes, unless you want to pay for two Kindles, you do need to return the defective Kindle, but not until you get the replacement Kindle. As previously stated (several times ) in this thread, when you receive your replacement Kindle, return your defective Kindle in the box that the replacement Kindle came in
Quote:
within 30 days from the date of this e-mail.
They will even reimburse you for the shipping cost - and for the insurance too, I should imagine, as that is part of the shipping cost - as stated in the email they sent you. Pretty good deal, especially since you'll be paying for shipping from South Africa.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Thanks for your reply OakIris, I kind of realised that I had to return the defective Kindle, notwithstanding the fact that it has been stated several times as you kindly pointed out, but what I was unsure about is whether I need to return it prior to me receiving the new one, that wasn't really clear from Amazon's email, particularly as I am an International Customer, different rules may apply. I may also receive the replacement outside of the 30 days which is a concern. Estimated Delivery Date: Dec 10, 2010 - Dec 27, 2010, chances are that Amazon won't get it back within the 30 days.

Quote:
They will even reimburse you for the shipping cost - and for the insurance too, I should imagine, as that is part of the shipping cost - as stated in the email they sent you. Pretty good deal, especially since you'll be paying for shipping from South Africa.
I should hope so, I don't see why I should be punished for the failings of their product. I have contacted Amazon for some clarity in this matter, but chances are I will simply ship it back prior to me receiving the replacement, which is a pity as I could have just done a changeover with the courier company thus saving me some degree of hassle.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
I should hope so, I don't see why I should be punished for the failings of their product. I have contacted Amazon for some clarity in this matter, but chances are I will simply ship it back prior to me receiving the replacement, which is a pity as I could have just done a changeover with the courier company thus saving me some degree of hassle.
Cheers
Paul
They probably wouldn't accept the return in advance unless you have a return authorization number to put on the box. It would be best to wait until you receive the replacement and use the label they send with the replacement to return it.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote