Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Expansion of the Lounge - your vote counts (poll)

Responding to your recent feedback, we have decided to launch a poll where you can help us choose how to handle "serious" off-topic discussions in our community.

From all the feedback we have received, we were able to pin it down to two options that we got:

Option 1) Leave "Lounge" as it is and add another section - "Salon" (or "The Study", or similarly named) - under Miscellaneous. The new section will hold topics which don't fit within any of the other sections and that go beyond mere banter (which is a predominant theme in the Lounge). It'd be where folks can gather to discuss issues of importance to them with minimal diversions into "silliness" (as we would generally agree on).

Option 2) Add a new sortable thread prefix - "Keep it Sensible" (or similarly named) - in the Lounge section to go alongside "Silliness" and "Meet Up". The prefix would indicate that folks want to discuss issues of importance to them with minimal diversions into "silliness" (as we would generally agree on).

Technical note: It is possible to exclude forums from your new post searches, but it is not possible to exclude threads based on their prefix.

Hence -

Option 1 would give you the advantage to be able to competely ignore either section in new post searches (optional, through your user settings), while option 2 has the advantage that all off-topic posts would still be located within the same section.

We will make this poll a quick one (it runs for only three or four days), so please go ahead and vote for your favorite option.

As always, hearing what you have to say, whether criticism or praise, helps us a lot to improve this community. Thanks for your support!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I went with option 1
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
1 for me, naturally
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
1 for me, too. I think that, if another prefix were to be added to the Lounge, it would be very easily overlooked, and we could get many inadvertently inappropriate posts to "Sensible" threads. A separate forum seems a far better solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I, too, voted for option 1, but I would suggest that its name reflect what it is intended for, something that a name like Salon does not do. I admit I do not have a name suggestion, but I think choosing an appropriate name is important.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Let's not get sidetracked onto what it should be called . Names can trivially be changed at any point; the important thing is to decide whether or not to have a separate forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I voted for #1 also. I feel that added options will enhance the experience here. The name "Salon" was proposed to tie in with the Salon Movement wherein people sit together and discuss topics of importance to them.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I voted for #1, of course.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I don't have strong opinions either way, so probably won't vote.

But I would like to say that it is just terrific that the recent discussion has been taken on board to this extent - members' voices really count!

Just one more illustration of why MobileRead is the best forum on the Internet. Well done and many thanks!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I, too, voted for option 1, but I would suggest that its name reflect what it is intended for, something that a name like Salon does not do. I admit I do not have a name suggestion, but I think choosing an appropriate name is important.
Oh noes, not a poll on what the name should be. Perish the thought. Although we do love our polls.

How about:

Roundtable
Symposium
Conclave
Council Room
Junction
Concourse

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let's not get sidetracked onto what it should be called . Names can trivially be changed at any point; the important thing is to decide whether or not to have a separate forum.
Well, if the 3:1 vote ratio continues...

I posted my name suggestion before I saw your above message. Forgive me my trespasses.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Thanks Alex and MobileRead for responding so quickly and for giving everyone a chance to be heard. It is one of the things I like most about this community!

Oh, and I voted for 1.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I voted for option 2. I believe people are civilized enough to respect a prefix.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
I voted also for option 2. I just don't like too many forum sections...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Sparhawk2k
Sparhawk2k is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I very much lean to the first option too. I think it's much harder to overlook than a prefix on the thread.
Sparhawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote