Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm guessing that Text-To-Speech is still MIA? Kind of strange if it is, as Audible was bought by Amazon and you can now sync your reading between Audible apps and Kindle apps pretty much everywhere except on the last (and maybe this) Paperwhite.
Audible is precisely why you can expect TTS to be gone.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #62
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i thought that at the very least, the new kindle paperwhite would be smaller in size than the existing paperwhite. the new kobo aura has a 6" screen and yet managed to be smaller than the paperwhite.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #63
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Or maybe get some latex "reading gloves".
Lotion & Latex? Am I on the wrong or right :sly: forum?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #64
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I think the most promising news is found about a third of the way down on the Kindle Paperwhite page:

Quote:
Kindle MatchBook

COMING SOON—For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases will soon allow you to buy the Kindle edition for $2.99, $1.99, $0.99, or free.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #65
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
about hardware buttons. I am using the Samsung Note 8.0 and still on my l<2 for reading.

What isintnesting is Samsung ADDED ahardware HOME button and many kvetch & whine how horrible it is. Everything from "ugly"(? Huh?) to stupid has been claimed. And here there is a, justified, clamor to return hardware buttons. Just shows we need devices with as many permutations as possible... they just need to be profitable for the manufacturer.

I can live w/o buttons but am so used to them I know I'll miss them in whatever reader I buy when that itch strikes eventually. At least for now I'm over my old Reader Buying Addiction (RBA). For now...
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I think the most promising news is found about a third of the way down on the Kindle Paperwhite page:
That's not paperwhite only. Whole thread on it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221578
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #67
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
They say that the cases will not be changed in this review: http://gizmodo.com/the-new-amazon-ki...e-k-1245621747

Look in the "Hardware" section for the comment.

Anyone see anything about what software upgrades might hit the current gen PW? I'm loving the "Page Flip" feature.
Thanks! That's good to know because they shipped the case already even though I told them to hold the case to ship with the PW.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #68
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
You will have a long wait. Looks like except for Sony buttons are long gone and they are not coming back.
The Bookeen readers (Cybooks) have buttons too, and I think some/all of the Onxy ones, as well.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #69
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm tempted once again, as I was with the original KPW. The PPI is a disappointment, but the contrast claims might make up for it vs. the Kobo Aura HD. The claims regarding the frontlight will hopefully bring it up to par with the Kobo lineup. The KPW2's obvious advantage would be stable software. The Kindle store is a wash--to get full use of anything I purchase there, I'll need to strip and convert it, and to use anything I purchase elsewhere (EPUB), I'll need to possibly strip and definitely convert it. If I decide I'm tired of reading and want to listen, I'll have to at least switch devices if I have the audiobook, or switch devices, strip, convert, and upload to Google Play Books for decent (or any) TTS.

All of the above limitations are artificial, marketing-imposed hogwash, by the way, which make me angry with Amazon as a company and disinclined to spend money with them.

I would love if Barnes & Noble delivered another Android reader this year, with improved lighting and pixel density, and a microSD slot, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been shopping for a worthwhile eInk device for a few years now, and haven't seen one to lure me away from tablets yet. The screens are finally getting there, but they keep getting strapped to deliberately hobbled hardware and software. Manufactured obsolescence has given way to manufactured frustration.

Last edited by taosaur; 09-04-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarity
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #70
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The Verge has the story about the accidental upload from Amazon.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/468...0-availability

EDIT: apparently Engadget had it too and the story is linked in the "Kindle sold out" poll.
no epub.

no memory card slot.

no file explorer.

rubbish.

i will never buy it.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
no epub.

no memory card slot.

no file explorer.

rubbish.

i will never buy it.
Perhaps you mean "it doesn't meet my personal needs"? That certainly doesn't mean that it's "rubbish".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #72
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
no epub.

no memory card slot.

no file explorer.

rubbish.

i will never buy it.
I'll second that!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'll be staying with my Kindle 4. Nothing in this one to entice an upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #74
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
no epub.

no memory card slot.

no file explorer.

rubbish.

i will never buy it.
a. Rubbish. Amazon books are converted into epub in seconds. Calibre.

b. So what? Last I heard of the best selling tablets on the globe, the ipads don't have a memory card slot. I got about 100 books on my kindle and it's got tons of space left.

c. File explorer? What? You see the files when mounted, you can organize them via the kindle app, there's the immense great calibre too, there's cloud storage, send to kindle. Where's the "explorer" missing from?

Utterly vapid post, sorry.

Last edited by Fourl29; 09-04-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #75
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm tempted once again, as I was with the original KPW. The PPI is a disappointment, but the contrast claims might make up for it vs. the Kobo Aura HD. The claims regarding the frontlight will hopefully bring it up to par with the Aura. The KPW2's obvious advantage would be stable software. The Kindle store is a wash--to get full use of anything I purchase there, I'll need to strip and convert it, and to use anything I purchase elsewhere (EPUB), I'll need to possibly strip and definitely convert it. If I decide I'm tired of reading and want to listen, I'll have to at least switch devices if I have the audiobook, or switch devices, strip, convert, and upload to Google Play Books for decent (or any) TTS.

All of the above limitations are artificial, marketing-imposed hogwash, by the way, which make me angry with Amazon as a company and disinclined to spend money with them.

I would love if Barnes & Noble delivered another Android reader this year, with improved lighting and pixel density, and a microSD slot, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been shopping for a worthwhile eInk device for a few years now, and haven't seen one to lure me away from tablets yet. The screens are finally getting there, but they keep getting strapped to deliberately hobbled hardware and software. Manufactured obsolescence has given way to manufactured frustration.
While you do make some fair points, have you actually tried the kindle with calibre, it's a piece of cake to keep your library in both epub and mobi (and they take very, very little space) and sync with the kindle. I think the vast majority here will attest to that. As far as including text to speech or audible support in the kpw, it's a fair point, and I am with you. I too miss both.

But you see the selling point of eink at the moment is very low price and huge battery life. That's the only things differentiating them from the far more versatile tablets, that and the eink screen of course. I really don't think amazon could come up with a decently priced kindle and add much, much more storage for audio, a much larger battery to make up for the audio playing, making it also heavier and bulkier. I am quite sure if amazon could keep the price point and add these features they would. I think we are not there yet though. But anyway to me, the sync reading from audible is really a gimmick. Just play your audiobook in any player/computer/tablet and read your book on the eink reader and enjoy.

At least at this stage of einks evolution, finally, we have a screen that's really impressive in terms of contrast/fonts/responses. Obviously not only in the kindle.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote