Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #166
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Tech support made me re-flash my reader
Was that a PRS-500, or did they provide a kit, as I wasn't aware of any official firmware?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #167
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I'll say even more! There are open-source PDF readers running on eInk devices with much better performance than that of the proprietary Adobe-made PDF viewer, in native code, running on the Sony Readers. Adobe should be ashamed of themselves, they own the PDF format, and they cannot make a PRS viewer for it that doesn't suck. But that's how it is.
That's a pretty weak argument, actually.

There's a wonderful phenomenon of performance being achieved by creating subtle bugs: cut a few corners because you don't *think* people will hit those cases, just so you can avoid a potentially expensive check.

This is not a rare situation and is, actually, one of the ways third-party drivers (particularly those that require high performance, such as video) cause OS crashes.

So I wouldn't go around presuming that any perf issues are a matter of incompetence when there's plenty of industry evidence that perf increases could themselves be signs of incompetence.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #168
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
That's a pretty weak argument, actually.

There's a wonderful phenomenon of performance being achieved by creating subtle bugs: cut a few corners because you don't *think* people will hit those cases, just so you can avoid a potentially expensive check.

This is not a rare situation and is, actually, one of the ways third-party drivers (particularly those that require high performance, such as video) cause OS crashes.

So I wouldn't go around presuming that any perf issues are a matter of incompetence when there's plenty of industry evidence that perf increases could themselves be signs of incompetence.
No. The point of making a viewer for a portable device is that it should run well on the limited resources available to it. A viewer that supports all the esoteric features of the format, but doesn't display basic files well, is incompetent.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #169
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No. The point of making a viewer for a portable device is that it should run well on the limited resources available to it. A viewer that supports all the esoteric features of the format, but doesn't display basic files well, is incompetent.
No.. it's perfectly executed -- just poorly specified. That's no indication of incompetence in programming, but it *is* an indication of potential problems in management (unreasonable expectations, etc).
Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #170
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Was that a PRS-500, or did they provide a kit, as I wasn't aware of any official firmware?
This was the PRS-505. I was referring to SONY's built in recovery system. You get to this by performing a series of key sequences during boot up.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #171
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
No.. it's perfectly executed -- just poorly specified. That's no indication of incompetence in programming, but it *is* an indication of potential problems in management (unreasonable expectations, etc).
So the managers at Adobe are incompetent and the programmers are the cat's whiskers?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #172
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
So the managers at Adobe are incompetent and the programmers are the cat's whiskers?
That's more likely to be the case than the other way around, based on my experience programming in the industry (including handhelds), personal knowledge of Adobe hires, and the experience of the guy next to me (who's done handhelds and device drivers in his time).

Professional programmers don't *like* to write stuff that doesn't work well (otherwise they wouldn't be employed for long), but they *must* write stuff that works according to specification (in order to remain employed). So unfortunately, in the real world, if a VP insists of a stupid set of requirements, there's nothing most programmers can do except to either (1) execute on them, or (2) leave/transfer. To their credit the managers I've worked with over the years have known when a feature should be cut because it's a bug farm, perf killer, or usability nightmare. Unfortunately, I've seen the exceptions down the hall.

I'm not going to get into a piss-fight with you, but it really annoys me when the conclusion about anything people don't like is that, obviously, the programmers must be incompetent. It annoys me more when people with even a modicum of programming knowledge assert that, as if they were involved on the project and have any idea of the people at the keyboard. It's very unprofessional.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #173
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hey I'm a programmer and I'm all for blaming the managers
Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #174
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd

Quote:
Hey I'm a programmer and I'm all for blaming the managers
Heh..

Actually, the irony -- I decided to change employers a few weeks ago, and my new one's talking of shipping me overseas to bring some of the others up to speed. He's also talking about grooming me for an PM/architect role, so I'm kvetching about folks in the very role I'm likely to mutate into.

Should be an interesting rest-of-the-year.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This was the PRS-505. I was referring to SONY's built in recovery system. You get to this by performing a series of key sequences during boot up.

=X=
Can you explain what this recovery system does and what we do to get into it? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #176
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you explain what this recovery system does and what we do to get into it? Thanks.
Hi Jon,
Sure, Sony has a recovery mechanism that restores the device to the original factory settings. When SONY tech support had me run the recovery device I lost all data and settings. I'd be interested in seeing if this removes your hack.

To get into the recovery mode.
1) Reboot the device
2) Hold the Volume '+' button and 'Mark' (bookmark) button down simultaniously.
3) Hold them down until the device completely boots up.
// A screen will appear prompting the user if they wish to restore
Press 5 for Yes
Press Menu for No
4) If the user presses 5 the system is restored.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #177
beezle
beezle began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS505
Well I guess I know where we stand on the firmware update. Sony really does
suck when it comes to product support (and not just ebook). For those who claim
they owe us nothing - it is common practice in the computer & related
industry to release firmware updates for fix known bugs and to add/improve
existing features. Heck even the car companies do this with bugs.

I'm lucky in that my reader was a gift so I won't be too upset. I swore off
buying Sony products in 1999 and nothing I've encountered with this device
has changed my mind. Its a shame as Sony can be innovative.. but then they
drop the ball and hose their existing customers on top of it.

Last edited by beezle; 07-07-2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: format
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #178
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm still hoping an update is on the way
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #179
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
What are people looking for? hoping for?

I have a 505 and it works fine! no bugs or problems at all, If there is a new firmware I wont risk installing it.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #180
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
well Sony had been promising better pdf support
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader