Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Calibre update 0.8.26 fix to recognize SD card in Vox

New update to Calibre today that allows it to detect the SD card in the Vox...! As that is where I like to store my books that is GREAT news!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I love the Calibre dev team. Seriously.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
I love the Calibre dev team. Seriously.
Jeff, they are good. But then so is the person who does the Kobo specific updates. He hangs out in these forums and introduced himself in a thread. But I forget which thread now. Darn.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That would be Tim Legge. He's amazing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very nice. Painless import.

Note: This process is using the internal SD card and doesn't require a micro SD card to be mounted into the slot.

Note 2: Once Calibre is finished and the SD card unmounted from your OS then you must go into your Kobo Vox library and import the books. That can take a while but there's a nice progress bar.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
wow, calibre is one of the best apps I discovered this year. hats off to the dev team!
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

they are great

I have to agree. My son has a reading disability and I just found some plugins for Calibre that allow me to turn most ebooks into audio books which he can then listen to on his ipod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshid View Post
wow, calibre is one of the best apps I discovered this year. hats off to the dev team!
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist

GJSmith, now that's interesting! I've been telling folks that the Kobo Touch is great for those with visual disabilities.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

conversion

For sure they can be played on the Kobo we just don't happen to have one yet and his ipod is smaller.
In truth for some books it requires bending the law a bit. Not sure how those with a legal mind feel about it but there are many books that are not audio books for his age group. When we purchase the ebook it may require stripping the DRM to make it playable. Since it is only for his use I'm sure no one would mind.
Wish there were better voices though we use GhostReader and the voices are good but still sound computerish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
GJSmith, now that's interesting! I've been telling folks that the Kobo Touch is great for those with visual disabilities.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
In truth for some books it requires bending the law a bit. Not sure how those with a legal mind feel about it but there are many books that are not audio books for his age group. When we purchase the ebook it may require stripping the DRM to make it playable. Since it is only for his use I'm sure no one would mind.
Wish there were better voices though we use GhostReader and the voices are good but still sound computerish.
Seeing as how we don't have the DMCA in Canada, you are within your legal rights to circumvent DRM for intellectual property that you've paid for here. Even in the States, it's a grey area.

Within US (and Canadian) copyright law is a clause called "fair use". If you've purchased, licenses or otherwise gained the rights to the IP then you're covered by this clause. Ripping CDs, converting movies, and circumventing DRM for personal use are widely agreed upon as being covered by this. Almost every time it's gone to court, the legal system has agreed.

I don't think that circumventing DRM for personal use in order to aid in the education of a child with a reading disability would ever be considered outside of fair use.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote