Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #361
Marianne_m
Marianne_m began at the beginning.

Device: Shift3 Lookbook
Lookbook

I have tried numerous times to download the latest software and each time within a few seconds of starting the download I receive a message that the download failed. Any suggestions on how to download to the latest software.
Thanks.

Marianne
Marianne_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #362
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
Look back a page to the messages from 9/25/2012. There's a link there to the updated firmware file for the Literati. Using a browser OTHER THAN FIREFOX (Internet Explorer is OK or was last time I tried it) right click and save that link to a file. Copy the file to an SD chip, insert the chip into the Literati SD port. Note that it goes in with the label facing down when you are looking at the front of the Literati. Turn the Literati on while holding down the letter Q key, and the software will update from the SD card.

The wi-fi download has not worked for anyone in quite a long time. Updating from an SD works, provided the SD card is reasonably fast. The first generation cards are too slow and the Literati doesn't recognize them in time. Be sure to use a card rated at speed 4 or higher. (8 or higher is best.)

Do not use Firefox to download the image file. It corrupts the file somehow. There is considerable discussion of all this on the present thread, if you just go back a year or so and read forward. Good luck.
Altivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #363
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
You can take your Literati to Radio Shack and tell the sales person you need a 5 volt, 1.5 amp charger and have them help you find a tip to fit it from the adapta-tip (or whatever it's called) selection. Be sure to plug the tip into the charger such that the tip is +. I mark mine with a Sharpie so that if they come unplugged, it's east to get it right.

While there are cheaper ways to get a charger, you have to know the ID and OD of the plug and I have no accurate way to measure it.

Michael
Copied from my AZZ Carfile, may have had it from an early review:
Literati
MassPower AXC Adapter
Model: SDF0500150A1BA
Input = 100-240V~, 50/60Hz, 0.18A
Output = 5.0V --- 1.5A

I have 2 Literati and can't find my power supply cords.
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #364
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Copied from my AZZ Carfile, may have had it from an early review:
Literati
MassPower AXC Adapter
Model: SDF0500150A1BA
Input = 100-240V~, 50/60Hz, 0.18A
Output = 5.0V --- 1.5A

I have 2 Literati and can't find my power supply cords.
If you had the cords you would not need an adapter as the cord is hardwired to an adapter. The specs are correct. The center pin is +.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #365
Gotnoteeth
Gotnoteeth began at the beginning.

Device: literari & android tablet
Literari help needed: saving books & firmware

Hi everyone. I just joined this community. And already need
I got this literari as a gift 2 maybe 3 years ago. About a year ago someone downloaded about 100 books on it for me. When I tried to upgrade the firmware I kept getting error messages so I gave up and put it in the draw. Well, I finally took it out again.

But it isn't connecting to the wifi (maybe the battery is still just too low) and I saw the other posts about using an SD card to upgrade the firmware -which is brilliant -but I am wondering if anybody has an updated link to the most updated firmware since that link was posted in 2011 and its now 2014?

My next question is whether you know how to remove books that are on the literari and store them - initially I bought a flashdrive but I see there's no USB port which I hadn't noticed before. Then I thought I could just transfer them to the new Android tablet I just bought - a $20 special from Microcenter - but the tablet doesn't seem to have any ports at all. Also I looked at the Literari's instruction manual and that says it doesn't copy books stored on an SD card into its internal memory so I thought that also means the reverse is true - I can't copy the books already downloaded on it to an SD card.

Would really appreciate help because I'd hate to lose these books if the literari goes down or I have to do a reset and I'd also like to be able to read them on my new device once I figure out how to use that
Gotnoteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #366
Gotnoteeth

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotnoteeth View Post
Hi everyone. I just joined this community. And already need
I got this literari as a gift 2 maybe 3 years ago. About a year ago someone downloaded about 100 books on it for me. When I tried to upgrade the firmware I kept getting error messages so I gave up and put it in the draw. Well, I finally took it out again.

But it isn't connecting to the wifi (maybe the battery is still just too low) and I saw the other posts about using an SD card to upgrade the firmware -which is brilliant -but I am wondering if anybody has an updated link to the most updated firmware since that link was posted in 2011 and its now 2014?

My next question is whether you know how to remove books that are on the literari and store them - initially I bought a flashdrive but I see there's no USB port which I hadn't noticed before. Then I thought I could just transfer them to the new Android tablet I just bought - a $20 special from Microcenter - but the tablet doesn't seem to have any ports at all. Also I looked at the Literari's instruction manual and that says it doesn't copy books stored on an SD card into its internal memory so I thought that also means the reverse is true - I can't copy the books already downloaded on it to an SD card.

Would really appreciate help because I'd hate to lose these books if the literari goes down or I have to do a reset and I'd also like to be able to read them on my new device once I figure out how to use that
Oh for crying outloud- this thing has no SD slot at the top! What now? I think it has a USB slot at the bottom but I"m not sure what good that will do. Sharper image - you stink!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #367
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
The SD slot should be under a rubber flap at top dead center. As for moving books on and off the reader, I use Calibre, located at http://calibre-ebook.com/.

I'll get back to you later, lots O stuff to do today.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #368
klu529
klu529 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Are you sure there is no SD slot? If not, I don't think you have a literati or at least not the one this post is about. I've got the firmware I can link you but if you don't have the right model, I wouldn't try updating the firmware. I'm wondering if that was your original problem, trying to update to the wrong firmware.

This is what you have right? The slot should be on the top just to the left of the power button. If you have it in the original case, it is blocked by the top right strap.

klu529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #369
Gotnoteeth

Hi yes there is no doubt it is a literari - I have it still in the original box and all - but this model is black not white. It is 2010 and says it has software version 1.9

There was a piece of rubber near the power button so I removed that and there is a slot there but I'm not sure its for an SD card - I fit one in there but there is no snap and clicking into place and then you have to use tweasers to get it out because it just disappears. When I put a blank SD card in nothing happened on the screen of the literari so it didn't seem to even recognize that anything was added although I'm not sure what it should have done. I thought I could copy the books from the literari to the SD incase I have to do a factory reset or something so I wouldn't lose the books & I can transfer them then to my android tablet (its a azpen from microcenter) but you think maybe if I copy the upgraded firmware on the SD first -then insert it-it might recognize that?

I wound up plugging it to my computer with a USB cord at least to transfer out the books that were on it so maybe I can then put them on the android tablet I just picked up but then after my computer created the folders from the literari showing authors and titles, when I went to open the books- I just get an error message saying program unknown so I can't even read them on the compute. I figure if I then transfer to the to the tablet - I'm presuming they won't be readable on there either?

I'm kind of stuck as to what I can do with this literari now. I never really used it since I got it as a gift since I'm slow to pick up technology but looking at the books my friend already downloaded for me last year or so- it reads really well - very clear and easy to turn pages so it looks great if only I can make it work. I had a hard time getting it to connect but finally it did connect but said something about downloading new firmware except it won't download and gives me another error message.

Last edited by Gotnoteeth; 07-18-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #370
Gotnoteeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
The SD slot should be under a rubber flap at top dead center. As for moving books on and off the reader, I use Calibre, located at http://calibre-ebook.com/.

I'll get back to you later, lots O stuff to do today.

Michael
Oh thank you so much - LOL - I feel stupid but I had no idea that was a SD slot
Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #371
Gotnoteeth

And I don't know anything about calibre but I'll look into it for the books I just transferred on my computer now- I didn't see your post before I posted last. I wish there was a Calibre for idiots book out there.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #372
klu529
klu529 began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Glad you were able to find your books. If you want to read them on your computer, you'll need to install an e-reader program first, one that supports epub files. Almost all do, the only exception I know is the Amazon Kindle for PC program. Calibre has a built in program you can use as well. Here is a quick how-to for Calibre.

Install the program, run it. It should be blank. In your file explorer window, find your epub or other ebook files and drag them to the Calibre window. The program will create a copy of these books and organize them. They will get saved to your computer's "Documents" folder under "Calibre Library" and be organized by the author. If you don't have them on your computer, just connect your ereader to the computer after Calibre is running. Calibre will scan your device automatically and show you the books it found. You then select the ones you want and add them to your library, this copies them to the computer so you can read it from there or transfer them to another device.

PS. As for the firmware, I don't know they are compatible between the black and white ones. That could be why it didn't work when you tried before.

Last edited by klu529; 07-25-2014 at 01:04 AM.
klu529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #373
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
The black and white Literati are hardware compatible. The difference is just the case design.

Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions will read the epub books if they were correctly transferred. There are other programs that work as well, but none of them are provided automatically with most PCs. You have to download and install a program to do the job. Windows or MacOS will not read an epub file on their own.

SD cards must be inserted in the Literati slot with label facing down, away from you as you look at the front of the Literati. They will not work if you put them in with the label facing toward you or up as the device lies on a table. Insert with the notched corner at the lower RIGHT and the gold contacts facing you. You need to push it in until it snaps in place, which is quite deep in the slot for the Literati. If you have no fingernail, you may need a non-conductive tool such as a plastic screwdriver to press and release it when you want to remove it.

Hope this helps.
Altivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #374
Gotnoteeth

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altivo View Post
The black and white Literati are hardware compatible. The difference is just the case design.

Calibre or Adobe Digital Editions will read the epub books if they were correctly transferred. There are other programs that work as well, but none of them are provided automatically with most PCs. You have to download and install a program to do the job. Windows or MacOS will not read an epub file on their own.

SD cards must be inserted in the Literati slot with label facing down, away from you as you look at the front of the Literati. They will not work if you put them in with the label facing toward you or up as the device lies on a table. Insert with the notched corner at the lower RIGHT and the gold contacts facing you. You need to push it in until it snaps in place, which is quite deep in the slot for the Literati. If you have no fingernail, you may need a non-conductive tool such as a plastic screwdriver to press and release it when you want to remove it.

Hope this helps.
Oh yes that helps a lot - thank you so much!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #375
Gotnoteeth

So helpful - thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by klu529 View Post
Glad you were able to find your books. If you want to read them on your computer, you'll need to install an e-reader program first, one that supports epub files. Almost all do, the only exception I know is the Amazon Kindle for PC program. Calibre has a built in program you can use as well. Here is a quick how-to for Calibre.

Install the program, run it. It should be blank. In your file explorer window, find your epub or other ebook files and drag them to the Calibre window. The program will create a copy of these books and organize them. They will get saved to your computer's "Documents" folder under "Calibre Library" and be organized by the author. If you don't have them on your computer, just connect your ereader to the computer after Calibre is running. Calibre will scan your device automatically and show you the books it found. You then select the ones you want and add them to your library, this copies them to the computer so you can read it from there or transfer them to another device.

PS. As for the firmware, I don't know they are compatible between the black and white ones. That could be why it didn't work when you tried before.
Oh that sounds doable- thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't look into all this before - was scared of technology I guess.