Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
lexmoen
lexmoen began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
jump to chapters

i am making my first ebook with sigil, works wonderfull. but i have a lot of chapters and in the beginning a contentpage. can i jump from this contentpage directly to any of the chapters?

thnx

lex
lexmoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
<p class="toc"><a href="[name of file containing the chapter][#optional fragment id]">Chapter Whatever</a></p>

etc
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
lexmoen

jump not succesfull

what do i do wrong?

in sigil in the bookbrowser are the names of the chapters, f.i.
blis 0 verzen 1-8 proloog.xhtml

now i did this:
<p class="toc"><a href="iblis 0 verzen 1-8 proloog.xhtml">Iblis 0 : 1- 8 proloog</a></p>

but it doesn't work

lex
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmoen View Post
i am making my first ebook with sigil, works wonderfull. but i have a lot of chapters and in the beginning a contentpage. can i jump from this contentpage directly to any of the chapters?

thnx

lex
"Real" E-Pub's don't need an "inline TOC" (page).

USING a H1, H2, H3 headeron Text, auto-magically make a nested entry in the "Catalog" (TOC)

Press F7 to see what you have. There are tick boxes to hide entries that used H# tags in places that are not to show as a TOC item.

The advantage of the "Catalog", is it's use does not lose your place in the book as moving to the inline version would.

OTOH if you plan on converting your E-Pub to some other formats, you might need that inline TOC to support the lack of built in TOC features
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
lexmoen

ok, using <h2></h2> and pressing f7 shows a toc entry.
and now what?

lex
Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
lexmoen

pressing f7 shows a toc entry: iblis 0:1-8 proloog in the file i see: <h3 id="heading_id_2">
but now what?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
pressing f7 shows a toc entry: iblis 0:1-8 proloog in the file i see: <h3 id="heading_id_2">
but now what?
There was supposed to be the Text between the Heading tags
Code:
<h3>Chapter 99<\h3>
What is between the tags is also usefd as a TOC text.
or

Code:
<h3>title="Chapter 99" &nbsp;<\h3>
If you only want the words to show in the TOC
(or different words)
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
lexmoen

between the headers was Iblis 0:1-8 proloog but if i put that < a href="Iblis 0:1-8 proloog">Iblis 0:1-8 proloog</a> it doesn't work still

i do something wrong
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
between the headers was Iblis 0:1-8 proloog but if i put that < a href="Iblis 0:1-8 proloog">Iblis 0:1-8 proloog</a> it doesn't work still

i do something wrong
You need nothing for the TOC to link to the header. It is automatic.
If you want t link the Header to the TOC, No. That trick only works with the manual Inline (Web Browser holdover?) type
BTW Sigil usually puts files in the Text/ folder
Code:
"../Text/yourfilenamehere"
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
lexmoen

i still don't get it.
if i have in the f7 a toc entry : Iblis 0:1-8 proloog, how do i refer to that spot at other places?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
i still don't get it.
if i have in the f7 a toc entry : Iblis 0:1-8 proloog, how do i refer to that spot at other places?
Forget F7. that is the RESULTS of making Header tag values.
Open the document.
Make a Header (h3 type) by placing h3 tags around some text.: TOC entry made. Done
Repeat for each place you want a TOC entry.

The order in the "Book Browser", the within the document., automatically places them correctly, with a link to the proper place.
Simple

After you have done a few, press F7 and see the results of your work.

F7 exists because you might not want ALL uses of "Header tags" to appear in the TOC.. Sigil adjusts your code if you un-tick an entry.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
lexmoen

i must be stupid.
i put <h3> around a text, as well in the contentpage as in the actual chapter. i save the document (epub) . when i press f7, i see the entries.
but when i look at bookview or the ebookreader, i cannot click anything to jump from the contentpage directly to the corresponding chapter with the same name
Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
lexmoen

no - i understand it now!
thank you very much!!

lex
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
If you want a seperate link, other than the toc links, include in the <h#> tag an id decriptor something like
Code:
<h3 id="chap03">Chapter 3</h3>
then if you need to link to it elsewhere you can do something like
Code:
<a href="#chap03">Jump to Chapter 3</a>
Things to note.
The jump link has a #before the id-name.
The jump link would need a (relative)filename if the target is in a different file.
Code:
<a href="section1.html#chap03">Jump to Chapter 3</a>
Doesn't have to be used for just chapters, I use it for footnotes.
Code:
<p><a id="return01"></a>Here’s a <a href="#footnote1">link</a> which jumps to the end footnote.</p>
and further on
Code:
<p><a id="footnote1"></a>A footnote is here.</p>
<p>When selecting here. <a href="#return01">RETURN</a></p>
Edit: spelling
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Doesn't have to be used for just chapters, I use it for footnotes.
Code:
<p><a id="return01"></a>Here’s a <a href="#footnote1">link</a> which jumps to the end footnote.</p>
and further on
Code:
<p><a id="footnote1"></a>A footnote is here.</p>
And you don't have to use empty <a> elements, you can add the "id" to the <p>:

Code:
<p id="return01">Here’s a <a href="#footnote1">link</a> which jumps to the end footnote.</p>

<p id="footnote1">A footnote is here.</p>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote