Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Iliad V2 or Digital Reader 1000S: which would you choose?

So given the choice of the Iliad V2 or the 1000S (both retailing at 599 EUR), which would you choose?

Is wireless important to you or is screen size the selling point?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
the 1000S, but i read/annotate/switch between books a lot
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The wireless is less important to me than the screen size in this case, but I'm looking for a professional device right now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I personally prefer the DR1000S due to its screensize. The WLAN was of no importance to me yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Assuming existing software on the iLiad (no significant upgrades), the iLiad is already as good as it will get and the little we have seen of the DR software appears to be a significant advance - and it will get better still over time. Unless you have a specific (existing) application in mind for the iLiad WiFi, it will probably not meet your expectations.

So, the real comparison is between the 1000S and the 1000WS. I don't think there is any doubt that WiFi and Bluetooth are a huge help to developers of software for the DR (allows remote login or an attached keyboard). If iRex (or a 3rd party) can come up with a usable web browser for the DR then it will be worth while for a wider audience. In a business context, opening up iDS delivery means again that WiFi is worthwhile. Based on the iLiad, I doubt most people will miss the WiFi if they buy the 1000S, but iRex could surprise us.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If iRex (or a 3rd party) can come up with a usable web browser for the DR then it will be worth while for a wider audience. In a business context, opening up iDS delivery means again that WiFi is worthwhile. Based on the iLiad, I doubt most people will miss the WiFi if they buy the 1000S, but iRex could surprise us.
That is key, having a browser and if possible able to load newspapers and RSS feeds wirelessly from iRex then the SW will be a formidable device. Maybe the delay in introducing the SW has to do with finalizing the browser, commerce web site and bringing on newspaper and magazine publishers. One can dream. Otherwise why Wifi...why?
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
No doubt, the 1000 S. It's the size of the screen that matters most to me.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
I'm torn between the large screen and the ability to grab some newspapers (with Feedbooks) on the way out of the hotel in the morning. Hopefully there will be a price drop on the Iliad in the coming months
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
The concern I (and many would) have over getting the Illiad V2 over one of the Digital readers would be of how long iRex is going to keep supporting them.

As it would be obvious, they will probably be concentrating most if not all their research and development effort on the new products.

So personally I would say that unless you have everything you want on the V2 and want to save a little money without having to pony up for the extra for WS go for the newer model. you'll probably have a longer product lifecycle.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is such good support in the iLiad forum here on Mobile Read that even if iRex stopped there would still be good support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is such good support in the iLiad forum here on Mobile Read that even if iRex stopped there would still be good support.

Dale
True, but I referring more to hardware support, especially if / when it breaks (based on problems mentioned by the forum in the past).

There is probably going to be limit till which they're going to have spares to fix damaged / broken ones, unless they have still got ongoing production of screens and other components. and once the warranty period is over (How long is it? 1 or 2 years?) they're not required to support or repair it.

I figure, that spending a bit more now, will probably brove to be a better deal in the long run , but that's a personal opinion formed after nearly pulling my hair out trying to get parts for electronics, just a year or two after production ceased. It was futile in most cases, even when I was willing to pay more then the normal price and get them shipped from wherever i could.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
ce3po
ce3po doesn't litterce3po doesn't litter

Device: iRex Iliad v2 / Palm Zire 72
DR1000S is the choice.
For me the size screen is very important.
ce3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
If the price of iLiad still be 699USD, I will definitely buy DR1000 series. DR1000 is better than iLiad in so many ways.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If iRex (or a 3rd party) can come up with a usable web browser for the DR then it will be worth while for a wider audience.
From iRex's DR1000 FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Will there be a web browser on the device and if so which one and will it support Java?
A: Yes, the iRex Digital Reader 1000 SW will have a limited browser (web-kit based). It will support text and images, non-supported formats (e.g. flash) will be replaced by content that can be displayed (static images) or ignored. It supports java scripting, radio buttons, checkboxes, input fields, buttons and downloading files.
This sounds like a very usable web browser. Now the only problem is the lack of a ship date for the DR1000SW.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
The iLiad is somehow a dead end for advances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ - iRex Digital Reader 1000
Q: Will iRex continue to support the iLiad with new firmware?
A: We will continue to support the iLiad but we have no immediate plans to add new functionalities.

Q: Will the iRex iLiad and iRex Digital Reader 1000 be sold together, or is the iLiad being phased out?
A: The iLiad series will be continued next to the iRex 1000 series, each of these series are addressing a different user group and both product ranges are part of our suite of e-reader products.

Q: Will any of the new software programs be back ported to the iLiad?
A: No, for this the iLiad and the DR1000 hardware infrastructure differ too much.
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2859
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote