Device: none
ipad case

I didn't order the ipad before and missed the April 3 deadline. I'd order
it now but the ipad case is available late april at apple online. Anyone
of you who don't like their ipad case (i read some before) who can sell it
to me? Pls. write me in private. And so as not to be off topic. I think
the ipad is great as pdf reading of colorful magazines. Anyway. Do
all of you use the Apple ipad case or do others find some other
cases that are more useful (for your use)?
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Have you checked local Apple stores?

My girlfriend bought one at the apple store (official apple case), I'm not that impressed by it. It's not that stable in the stand up mode, and just doesn't feel worth $40 (not surprising as most all official apple accessories are overpriced). I also felt the case was more in the way than useful when using the iPad.

If I got an iPad I'd probably want something more like a simple silicon sleeve type of case for it, It feels best to just hold it out of the case, and a silcon sleeve would mimic that while still offering some protection. Though I'd want some sturdier case to put it in when throwing it in the briefcase. Maybe just a neoprene sleeve like a netbooks have e etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I finally managed to snag one at the local apple store. I think the case is great. Perhaps not $40 worth of great, but I would certainly suggest it or another case in that style. Incase has one, as does Macally.

Think about how you are going to use the iPad... The Apple case works great as a keyboard stand - flat on the desk propping up the rear; I'm actually typing this post on my iPad. It also can stand the iPad up in landscape for watching videos, though as dmaul mentioned it is not particularly stable. Stable enough for watching videos, but I wouldn't want to be poking at it too much. And, of course, it folds back like the standard Kindle or Sony Reader cases.

Last edited by FourOhFour; 04-08-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Ok, one error. Not bad for typing on a glass keyboard.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
DaK2
DaK2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, iPad
The Apple iPad case is extremely flimsy and I can't recommend it. The pictures of it are very misleading - it very thin and is not much protection at all except maybe for scratches.
Sorry the one I had ordered went right to Apple store for a refund so I can't sell it to you.

The case that I'm using is the incase convertible book jacket. It also has a built in stand and is a lot more protection. I found it at the Apple store but in case they are sold out here is the link for it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...cket-cl57512/1
DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

I live in Asia. I thought the Ipad would be available here by April end but
it appears to be June or so.. When I tried to order it online a few hours back.
I found out the ipad case is not available at apple online but end of april
(maybe the ipad case are hoarded by people who sell it at high price at ebay).
Now I don't want to receive the ipad without any case as I think it's
quite fragile without having to use any case as I'll use it in lounge after
workout in gym and it has to be have some of cover.

In case I can't get any cover. Anyone has suggestions of how to wrap it
using any clothing so the edge would at least be protected? Also I think
the ipad in the original apple ipad case can survive fall to the ground
because the edge are protected.. right folks?

Anyone have any idea when will the ipad be available in asia really?
Also I found out if I ship it to a friend in New Jersey, there is taxes
at apple online. How about if it is bought right at any apple retail
store... are you also charged with taxes, or not?

Last edited by sciredz; 04-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

see, i'm the total opposite of dak2. i love the apple case and can totally recommend it. the rubbery surface provides a great grip, opposite of the slick surface of a naked ipad. it's thin and doesn't get in the way. the easel feature props it up just enough for reading or typing when it's lying flat. the front panel provides stiff protection for the glass. it's certainly better than the neoprene slipcovers/jackets i've seen. my ipad has been through 4 airports and 5000 miles already in my timbuk2 messenger bag filled with gear and hasn't seen a single problem.

seems that the apple cover is a love it or hate it thing and i love it!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
sciredz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
The Apple iPad case is extremely flimsy and I can't recommend it. The pictures of it are very misleading - it very thin and is not much protection at all except maybe for scratches.
Sorry the one I had ordered went right to Apple store for a refund so I can't sell it to you.

The case that I'm using is the incase convertible book jacket. It also has a built in stand and is a lot more protection. I found it at the Apple store but in case they are sold out here is the link for it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/det...cket-cl57512/1
You mean the original ipad case can't survive fall to the ground (accidentally)??
what prevent me from ordering the ipad now is lack of case.. but if there
is alternative, i'd like it and then the case... so is this goincase convertible
book jacket the best of all? let me know so I can decide and order the
ipad now before I go out.

I have tons of magazines in pdf but haven't read them in computer and
don't want to print them in colors so I think the ipad is the only thing
that can make me read them during resting at gym workout, etc
or starbucks..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to add that, using the ipad, I don't think it needs a case for protection except maybe against scratches. My iPhone has been naked except for a decal on the back since the day I got it, and it's seen worse care than my ipad ever will (simply because the ipad won't fit in my pocket)... and it still works fine.

Screen protection would be a plus... The glass is very scratch resistant, but if you drop it on asphalt, it's getting scratched.

But yes, if you want protection for drops, the Apple case isn't going to provide it. And any case at provides protection is going to be thicker... The apple case is very thin and will protect the screen from whatever grit accumulates in my bag... For drops, I'll just count on the protection provided by the glass and the body.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
sciredz
Enthusiast

I wonder how many use the Ipad without any case.. or do most of you use some kind
of case??

Does the offical apple ipad case come with screen protection screen? won't it add
to the glare already present?

In the incase convertible case, I saw the screen protector is already part of the
case, can one remove it if you want to just use the bare screen? Dak2?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

the apple case does not come with a screen protector. in fact, apple recently banned all screen protector films from their stores. so don't go looking for one there. one of the web sites (engadget? gizmodo? i forgot) did a scratch test with a nail. they said it didn't leave a mark on the glass, but scratched up the aluminum back pretty easily.

personally i like a screen protector not for the scratch protection, but i like the feel of the film verses the glass. that's just a personal preference.

not all screen films are alike either. some are just vinyl, some are various forms of hard plastic or rubber. my personal favorite is the 3M film that was originally developed for helicopter blades (or so they claim). both zagg.com and bestkinsever.com sell the stuff, with the latter being generally half the price. decalgirl.com also sells screen protectors along with skins for the back, though i'm not sure what material they use. i have one of their skins on my 600 and it appears to be a printed vinyl material. good protection from scratches but not against dropping.

it boils down to this:

a naked ipad seems well protected from screen scratches, but not so good on the back. setting your ipod down on a table, or worse yet, a concrete bench, is likely to leave some marks.

screen films can protect the glass surface but provide a different "feel" on your finger. they can also make it less glossy (and reflective) depending on the material it is made from.

a film or skin for the back surface can provide scratch protection, but won't save you from a drop of any distance. it will also protect your ipad when in a backpack or bag from scratches from other objects.

sleeves made out of neoprene provide good light protection when your ipad is in it, but obviously none when it is out of it. might help survive a drop on a carpet, or onto a table from a low height above it. good protection when your ipad is in your backpack or bag as well from other objects. apple's case isn't neoprene but it falls into this category as well, but also lets you use the ipad still in the case.

for serious drop protection, you're going to need a large, bulky case with some padding. expect it to be significantly larger than your ipad to provide any sort of decent protection. it's unlikely you're going to be able to use your ipad when in such a container as well, and it will probably be too large to fit into a backpack or bag.

timbuk2.com has a variety of bags and backpacks for laptops and other devices. not necessarily cheap, but they are very good quality. i've been using a messenger bag of theirs for well over a year that has gone around the world several times with me and looks a day old. it's stuffed with a 15" laptop, assorted gear, cords, chargers, a camera, papers, and now my ipad (which replaces my sony 600 which used to travel with me). it has a padded compartment for my laptop, but not my ipad.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Booky McGee
Booky McGee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
How solid is the built-in stand on that incase book jacket? I've considered it as an alternative case but it looks like it could slip out of the notches for the various angles.

I have the apple case. It's not the most exciting of materials but I do like the design of the clip in back. People have mentioned it being prone to tipping over when it's sitting vertically but mine seems quite solid. I wouldn't leave it near the edge of a table or in a room with a strong breeze, though.

It's more comfortable sometimes to hold it clipped while reading for long periods. The wedge shape gives you more to hold on to. I found myself doing the same thing when I was using a kradle for my Sony Reader - picking the whole thing up and reading that way.

If I were to improve on it, I'd like one made of leather (which is simply not going to happen with Apple), or to have a magnetic closure. Magnets would likely interfere with the compass though - holding my Sony Reader with all its magnets up to the iPad certainly does.
Booky McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
sciredz
Enthusiast

I think the incase convertible protector is kinda bulky.. it looks like a book.

The original apple ipad case is thin... well.. isn't it thinness is what the ipad
is all about??

I read that the edge are kinda sharp and jarring to the touch.. anyone bothered
with that?

Do you use your ipad with or without case.. how do you find it? I'm wondering
whether I can use it for 3 weeks without case while awaiting its availability.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
FourOhFour
HTTP Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
I read that the edge are kinda sharp and jarring to the touch.. anyone bothered with that?
The rough edges are kinda annoying, but they are flexible so they aren't too bad. Also, the left edge is the hinge, so it isn't rough like the other three.

Quote:
Do you use your ipad with or without case.. how do you find it? I'm wondering
whether I can use it for 3 weeks without case while awaiting its availability.
I'm keeping mine in the case, but the iPad is certainly usable without one. I didn't have a case for the first few days I had the iPad. I'd try to be careful of where you set it down and if you put it in a computer bag, what else is in there to avoid scratches. Typing on a desk is much better with the rear propped up, but you don't need a case to do that; an old calculus textbook works just fine.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The case is perfect for me. It protects the screen, makes it less likely to drop.
Yesterday I sat it on my desk and watched the Masters Golf Tour. Video (fee app) while using my computer.
BTW written on an iPad
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I really like the Apple case, it's enhanced my use of the iPad. But yeah, $40 seems to be a lot for what it is. And "case" is kind of misleading. It's not like your laptop case designed for you to travel with. It's more like a "slip cover" that makes your iphone more pleasurable to hold and use. The "case" would enable me to put my iPad in a book bag as it would protect the screen. But no, I do not think it will help you in a drop onto concrete, except perhaps saving the screen from scratches.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote