Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Grugni
Grugni began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver story
Well... it appears I must have had a dodgy unit first time round. I've now been using the replacement for about a week with not a single crash.

However, I've now been using Calibre to convert my pdf's to epub so I'm not sure if the problem was with pdf's.

Anyway, I'm now delighted with the iRiver Story and would recommend it to anyone.
Grugni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
ikan kona
ikan kona began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Iriver story

I updated to the 1.61 and like the reflow and really dislike the corner zoom, but from a developers point of view, I understand the problems.

Most of mine ebooks are pdf, and if I can use reflow on them it really works nice, but there are really big problems.

Problems to consider:

1. The Zoom with the four steps, should be possible to customize in settings, so I would be able to have it on medium/sec.medium/high as my own customized standard.

2. Zoom in both versions does not work in landscape mode. Why?

3. The corner Zoom has to be easier in functionality, (sorry but to 80es software engineer loves his idea)

4. When I have a book on my SD card and read in it, the Story does not save my Reflow and Zoom settings, this means that i every time I read a book from my SD card have to inter the settings once more. (sorry but that's really crappy)

5. Why does the Story not recognize any book in the book section when i only have my books on a SD card, should recognize them. (have my books on diffrent SD cards, categorized)
This means that each time re-inter another SD card it shall remember where i was in the book and what Reflow/zoom i had, otherwise it wont be real to call it an expansion possibility.

6. The Reflow display some pdf, very weird, exampled under:

Fred is fat and lives in a shel
ter while eating fish with his toes, and usually he sleeps with fresh herring under his pillow.
Unfortunate for the other resi
dents in the shelter, he is resisting any fish related arguments.

So it breaks the lines in some words, this is really not acceptable, please fix it.

7. Must agree with critics that it is cheap not to deliver a cover with the story.

8. There should be a possibility to set the story, to re-inter directly into the book you just read last time, so you dont have to g0 through the menu every time.

9. I can not bookmark pages in pdf's.

10. Recent book, should be resent books, if you are reading several at the time.
ikan kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
manor80
manor80 began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
I cannot get the 4 step zoom to work with PDF files only the corner zoom. Am I doing something wrong?
manor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by manor80 View Post
I cannot get the 4 step zoom to work with PDF files only the corner zoom. Am I doing something wrong?
You've not done anything wrong.
Zoom doesn't work for PDFs directly.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
ird1968
ird1968 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
I had my iRiver for a day before it froze up. I returned it to the store and am waiting for my replacement. I had upgraded to 1.61. I have e-mailed iriver and they say there is no problem with 1.61 although they are now telling me I should upgrade the firmware in order -> 1.04 -> 1.50 -> 1.61 That's great except 1.50 no longer seems to be available. The page is there but it comes up file not found when I try to download
ird1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #21
manor80
manor80 began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story
Many thanks Greenapple. With ver.1.61 of the firmware activating "reflow on" means that the 4 step zoom function does work in PDF files...great. I also updated directly from 1.4 to 1.61. Only problem I have is that every now and again the Story wont boot up. I have to do a "reset" and then boot up.
manor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
Grugni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ird1968 View Post
I had my iRiver for a day before it froze up. I returned it to the store and am waiting for my replacement. I had upgraded to 1.61. I have e-mailed iriver and they say there is no problem with 1.61 although they are now telling me I should upgrade the firmware in order -> 1.04 -> 1.50 -> 1.61 That's great except 1.50 no longer seems to be available. The page is there but it comes up file not found when I try to download
When I received my replacement I upgraded straight from 1.12 to 1.61 and I've yet to have a freeze/crash. I'm starting to wonder at the quality control at iRiver for these issues to be fairly common...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #23
samano
samano began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
black dots?

I had just received my iriver story and noticed that there are a few black dots spreading around the screen. I wondered if these are dead pixels, like in normal LCD screen.

These black dots stays even when the screen is powered off and can't be wiped off.

Is this normal for e-ink displays?
samano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #24
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samano View Post
I had just received my iriver story and noticed that there are a few black dots spreading around the screen. I wondered if these are dead pixels, like in normal LCD screen.

These black dots stays even when the screen is powered off and can't be wiped off.

Is this normal for e-ink displays?
I don't have these dots on the screen. I suggest you check with the seller.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
Grugni

I second that. Return for a replacment.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #26
samano

I had checked with the seller and they told me that it is not uncommon to have some spoilt pixels on the screen. There is nothing they can help me with.

I checked with a black and white image and found that the pixels are actually inverted!
When it is supposed to be black it will display white. When it is white, it will display black.

I wondered if there is anyway i can "Revert" back these pixels.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
greenapple
Evangelist

I've heard that bad pixels are common for LCD screens, but I'm not sure they should be present on e-ink screen. Best bet is to contact support at iriver.com directly.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #28
samano

Kinda disappointed.

If the defect is at the side, i wouldn't mind it, but it is at the center of the screen.

I guess thats just bad luck on my part.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Grugni

I'd still be asking for a replacement as the device is new. I suffered for a week and had no problem getting a replacement from my retailer.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #30
BULSARA
BULSARA began at the beginning.

Device: IRIVER
Hey grugni. Bought the thing myself for my missus fox Xmas and we have out first lock up tonight. Tried to usb and un usb and are going to let it go flat. Will let you know how we go.
Buls
BULSARA is offline   Reply With Quote