Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
chebusashka
chebusashka began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin
broken screen -fixable?

My sister got a HanLin v3 about a year ago. It worked fine, but one fine day the screen cracked. I don't know how it happend, but she was real careful with it, so all I can think of that it was spontaneous crackage. Anyhoo, she considered sending it out to have it fixed, but decided against it and gave it to me to take apart. I started to, but then thought - it's just the screen, right? There's gotta be a place that would sell a replacement screen. But so far I've come up empty.

Any advice on where to get one and how to fix the darned thing would be greatly appreciated

THanx
=^_^=
chebusashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
I know that in Australia we can get replacement screens from the distributor. You may wish to try the supplier in your case
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
You can get them direct from Jinke. If you search this forum you will find the details but it was several months ago.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I wouldn't recommend buying and changing the screen at the moment wait a few more months. with the reader already being sold at $280 from astak you will be able to buy a used reader for around $120-150 once many current users upgrade to I-pad or the many other devices coming up.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I wouldn't recommend buying and changing the screen at the moment wait a few more months. with the reader already being sold at $280 from astak you will be able to buy a used reader for around $120-150 once many current users upgrade to I-pad or the many other devices coming up.
They are actually now $239 on their website. Man the price has dropped and becoming a real dangling carrot for me to think about buying a second ereader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
chebusashka
chebusashka began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin
Thank you so much to everyone who posted. I found the post with directions on how to change the screen and I'm going to do it. I send a request to Jinke asking about retailers that are maybe closer to me than China that I could get the screen from, but they are dragging their feet in replying. I don't really blame them, since they don't get anything out of this if I do it myself. Anyone know where I can get a screen? Are they standard or do I have to have the screen that is specific to a Hanlin V3?
chebusashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebusashka View Post
Anyone know where I can get a screen? Are they standard or do I have to have the screen that is specific to a Hanlin V3?
Not sure, but you may need to replace a resistor and update the waveform (for which you need a specific file), and I'm not sure if that's as easy as it sounds.

Take a look at this document for step-by-step instructions.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Is it really worth to replace a broken screen ?

I mean, I have a Bebook One (a clone of the V3). I had a problem with my screen and feared that it might broken, so I looked at the Bebook homepage. In the FAQ, it said: to replace a broken screen, we charge 125 €. A new Bebook Mini (the Hanlin V5) costs about 189€.

So I thought to myself: the new faster Bebook Mini costs just about 60€ more then the repair of my old used Bebook One. Would it be really worth to have it repaired ? Especially since I had to sent the Bebook One in, that would have been another 10€ for insured shipping ...

Luckily my screen wasn't broken and the fix was covered by warranty, but still, I think if it would have been broken, I would have gotten a new one ...
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote