Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #226
SWCaffeinated
Enthusiast
SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.SWCaffeinated solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Way Too Many Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Possibly the new people came to the forums because they had a problem and were looking for help? Perhaps they know better now

Helen
That tends to happen; along with the fact that dissatisfied customers tend to be more vocal than satisfied ones. That's how I first found out about this forum; had a problem with my Nook and this MobileRead kept coming up in the Google searches I was doing.

Anyway, count me in as satisfied. My new Aura seems flawless; can't find a pinprick or lines that I've read about here. Then again, I haven't bothered to get a loupe or rotate it in odd angles yet. The lighting is not PERFECTLY even, but it's very good and doesn't bother me one bit. The size if fantastic; for anyone that has the Mini I'd recommend this one; it's very close in size. Nice work, Kobo.
SWCaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #227
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCaffeinated View Post
That tends to happen; along with the fact that dissatisfied customers tend to be more vocal than satisfied ones. That's how I first found out about this forum; had a problem with my Nook and this MobileRead kept coming up in the Google searches I was doing.

Anyway, count me in as satisfied. My new Aura seems flawless; can't find a pinprick or lines that I've read about here. Then again, I haven't bothered to get a loupe or rotate it in odd angles yet. The lighting is not PERFECTLY even, but it's very good and doesn't bother me one bit. The size if fantastic; for anyone that has the Mini I'd recommend this one; it's very close in size. Nice work, Kobo.
Glad to hear it. I have more or less sworn off Kobo, but if I can sell my Aura HD for at least $100, I might once again get sucked into the vortex I still like my Mini.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #228
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Frankly I'd be surprised if we see this implemented for ePubs.
Sigh
I really don't want to start reading kepubs but that option (zooming pictures) would be super useful for my HD.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #229
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeke5 View Post
It is very nice. Lights work well for reading in the darkness. Holds pretty comfortably as well. I like it a lot if the following had not happened.

I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue. I downloaded my books through Adobe Digital editions and when I read a book and put it to sleep it always reverts to the same first book I opened initially, even though I have read 10 pages of a newer book. Not sure why this is happening and it is a little bit frustrating. Spoke with customer service 3 times already Who told me to reset and then re-sign him and then reinitialize all of which I have done and I'm still left with the same problem except now half the books I had put the collection that I had created are no longer there. Would all this be a software issue or do I just need to go and exchange this for a new one as it might be hardware problem any ideas thanks a lot everyone.

Must admit I have never had such a hard time with the new product in my life I am pretty good with devices I buy during the first weeks out and I've never had to be calling customer service and even thinking about returning it unless I just don't like it.... Never because it doesn't work. was this not ready?

Don't know if anyone has posted an idea, but did you manually set up date/time? I know that having the wrong time can mess up which book the device thinks you are reading.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #230
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
Thanks all. The reset seems to have solved the freezing issue.

What is curious is the light leaks seem to have gone?? I had 3 last night, all near the edge of the screen so not an issue really. This morning I could only see one and right now I cannot see any.

Overall impressions a few hours in is that whilst I think it feels a little cheaper than the Kindle PW I do really like the smaller footprint and interface. I think it may be a keeper.
About the pinpricks disappearing...I know it worked for me, but lightly pressing the place made mine disappear and i remember someone else on MR mentioned the same. So maybe as you used it, you inadvertently lightly pressed the ones that disappeared? just an idea
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #231
Zeeke5
Zeeke5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura
Thanks Uschiekid. That did the trick . Now I know what the disadvantage is to trying to keep my overdrive books longer than the three weeks by changing the date.!
Zeeke5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #232
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeke5 View Post
Thanks Uschiekid. That did the trick . Now I know what the disadvantage is to trying to keep my overdrive books longer than the three weeks by changing the date.!
Heh...so I'm not the only one who uses that trick (overdrive only lets me keep mine for 2 weeks )

Yeah, I just always have to remember that when the date is wrong funky things do tend to happen.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #233
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Or you could switch off Wif
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #234
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I thought I had asked here already, but can't see the post - feel a bit scatterbrained today:

Does anyone own the Mini and the new Aura and could post side by side pictures? I am dying to see a side by side size comparison, but can't find anything useful on google.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #235
sko0bydo0b
sko0bydo0b began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
[Deleted]

Last edited by sko0bydo0b; 08-15-2016 at 09:44 PM.
sko0bydo0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #236
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So my Aura arrived earlier today. So far, I like. I haven't seen the diamond pattern (or managed not to notice it, which is the same thing) when using it in direct sunlight. There is a pinprick of light, but it's in the lower right hand corner, all the way by the edge, so I won't even see it usually, and there's never text there.

Form-wise, it's great. I love the lack of a bevel. For some reason, the background seems less white than it was on the glo, which is weird, as it's the same screen.

I have 2000 books, and ~200 collections on it. The glo needed two minutes to open the shelves list. On the Aura it takes just under a minute. Still not great, but passable.

The light is good. It's not as bright as the glo is, and doesn't go up as high, but it seems easier on the eyes, so I guess that's a win. Otherwise, everything seems to be working the way it should, so I am satisfied with it.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #237
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
Form-wise, it's great. I love the lack of a bevel. For some reason, the background seems less white than it was on the glo, which is weird, as it's the same screen.
The screen is being handled differently so that they don't have to refresh as often. To really see the difference, you would need compare them immediately on the page after a refresh.
Quote:
I have 2000 books, and ~200 collections on it. The glo needed two minutes to open the shelves list. On the Aura it takes just under a minute. Still not great, but passable.
What is the largest shelf you have? In the past, having a shelf with a lot of books on it had as much impact as having a lot of small shelves.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #238
Lupa
Lupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five wordsLupa can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Arrow Min & Aura Side by Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I thought I had asked here already, but can't see the post - feel a bit scatterbrained today:

Does anyone own the Mini and the new Aura and could post side by side pictures? I am dying to see a side by side size comparison, but can't find anything useful on google.
Here you go

Lupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #239
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sko0bydo0b View Post
New to the forms but a long time e-reader...reader? Just a question about everyone's hands-on experience with their new Kobo Auras. I just received mine today and it's pretty hard not to notice the diamond etching on the top third of my screen. I'm really not trying to look for it--I want my Aura to be OK! I'm especially concerned since I can only see this only on a portion of the screen--the rest looks perfect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think I should return the unit (bummer, as I was so excited to get it since I preordered weeks ago!)?
If you find it noticeable then I'd definitely return it and request a replacement. Obviously everyone's eyes are different and some people will notice it more than others, but it sounds more like a manufacturing defect. Especially if you can see it in one part of the screen but not another.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #240
tls
Enthusiast
tls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nexys 7
An update...

I have found that I do not notice the light pinpricks at all in normal circumstances. The one that's in the center of the screen is tiny, and I only notice it if I look for it. The one at the side is bigger, but it's not in a place that I read. Some of the devices I looked at had pretty big pinpricks in the center, but thankfully mine is small enough not to be distracting.

I do find the text a lot more washed out on the Aura than my Paperwhite though - it's less black and more grey. For some reason I find that distracting. Anyone else notice find the same?

Kaitou Ace said above the base background is darker than his Glo. It's definitely darker than my Paperwhite and the text is definitely less black - funny because they use the same Pearl screen.
tls is offline   Reply With Quote