Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #136
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The complains come from the paradigm shift. If you are working on the Desktop mode and want to open a new desktop app, it is now more convoluted (without putting back the start button) than it used to be.
its not more convoluted. mouse to the lower left corner. left click(opens start screen) mouse to the program you want to have open left click it. if its not pinned (top hierarchy) then right click open "all apps" and then left click the one you want.

its the exact same steps as before excepting right click for all apps instead of left clicking all programs and you dont need to do that if you dont want to . you can just start typing the name of what you want after the first left click. then click when it pops up
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #137
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For what it's worth, while I was having problems with my WinXP laptop, it was still working. However, I was hearing some of the advance issues with Win8 a couple of months before it was released, so I went out and bought a new laptop so I could have Win7.

So in a way, Win8 sold a new PC, although not in the way meant on this thread.
Wise lady.
You could also have gotten a Chromebook and turned your back on Windows.

I am sure that if the next Windows version after 8 isn't OK, then the one after that will be. If not well, I mentioned Chromebook, didn't I?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #138
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Another perspective from Forbes...

Quote:
Could it be that Microsoft’s strategy is beginning to work, and we’re seeing Windows 8 & Windows RT tablets starting to take hold? We know that enterprise interest in proactively adopting Windows 8 is muted, but our Q3 2012 Workforce Employee Survey data is remarkably promising for Windows 8′s prospects for BYOD in the enterprise, with a full 20% of information workers reporting that they want Windows 8 on their next tablet, vs. 26% for iOS. Not bad considering that Windows 8 wasn’t quite shipping yet when we fielded the survey.

We know that the primary investment strategy for Microsoft with Windows 8 is tablets, and so unless the news is accompanied by Windows 8 tablet sales data, any conclusions are meaningless.

Ted Schadler makes a well-informed case that there is no Post-PC era, and J.P. Gownder explains how the 21% of information workers who use tablets for work are actually using them. But there’s more at work here too. Apple reported last quarter that they see a lot of cannibalization of Mac sales with iPads, so what’s changing is a shift in spending away from traditional form factors to tablets. And like Ted, I argue that this is temporary.

[T]urning over an installed-base this big doesn’t happen overnight. Indeed, the report of Windows’ death was an exaggeration. No doubt Mark Twain would be laughing if he could see us now.
I bought a FireHD because 1) it was inexpensive, 2) I think the next Windows tabs will be much better, and 3) I think the next Windows tablets will be much less expensive.

That said, I only expect to buy one for my high schooler. College boy will be buying his own iron by the time WinTabs become compelling (for him anyway). It'll be two years before his S3 is up for renewal and he has a fairly contemporary laptop and a capable desktop. The wife has already put me on notice that a FireHD is in her very near future. I use whatever the company gives me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #139
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Windows 8 blows chunks. There, I said it. I really hate to say that, I LIKE WINDOWS *SAD FACE*.

It's a lock-in. A sad demise of an erstwhile excellent offering.

Throw rocks now.

design process:
Spoiler:

How can this be worse than that? I am aghast.

Last edited by twobob; 04-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #140
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For what it's worth, while I was having problems with my WinXP laptop, it was still working. However, I was hearing some of the advance issues with Win8 a couple of months before it was released, so I went out and bought a new laptop so I could have Win7.

So in a way, Win8 sold a new PC, although not in the way meant on this thread.
Win8 sold a new PC and a new laptop for me. I was looking to get a new laptop last year and by the time I finally decided I didn't need the business model that was 400 or 500 more they put Win8 on the consumer model. I hurried up and bought the business model before that one got "upgraded" too.

Last week I told my husband we should get a new PC before there are no Win7 models left. We have a really old one upstairs and I was afraid if something happened to the main one I'd be in trouble. He got an i5 and I made him take it back for an i7 processor. Best Buy didn't have any Win7, but Microcenter had some.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #141
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
He got an i5 and I made him take it back for an i7 processor.
That was likely a good idea with a performance hog like Win7. With Win8 (or Linux), even a Celeron is probably OK

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 04-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #142
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Last week I told my husband we should get a new PC before there are no Win7 models left.
That's really not going to happen very quickly. XP was still available (though at a modest additional charge, since you had to buy Win7 Pro, instead of home) until Win8 was released. As I noted earlier, in looking through Dell's web site, there were two models, one desktop and one laptop, that offered Win8 as a standard option. All were available with Win7, multiple versions. There were literally more computers available with FreeDOS than Win8. And Ubuntu Linux, which has only just been added back to Dell's catalog within the last few weeks, was available on, I would guess, 25% of their systems.

Win8 is going to be much like Vista: largely ignored until the next version comes out, then completely forgotten. (And, for that matter, there were more systems with Vista available than Win8.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #143
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
That was likely a good idea with a performance hog like Win7. With Win8 (or Linux), even a Celeron is probably OK
Win7 needs less processing horspower than XP did. Win8 needs less because less is expected of it at any given time.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #144
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
To me Windows 8 was summed up by my reading a tech reviewer had to resort to googling how to turn his computer off.

While I found Windows 7 acceptable and a lot more bearable to Windows 8 I also didn't really like what Microsoft did to the start menu on 7 either I still miss the cascading start menus of Vista/XP it was just much easier to find everything and I still always set my computers to the classic desktop.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #145
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Win7 needs less processing horspower than XP did.
Is that actually the case, or is Windows 7 simply making better use of modern hardware architectures? Computers have changed a lot between the introduction of Windows XP and Windows 7.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #146
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Is that actually the case, or is Windows 7 simply making better use of modern hardware architectures? Computers have changed a lot between the introduction of Windows XP and Windows 7.
A pre-service pack 1 install of XP would probably outperform a pre-service pack install of 7. But if compare the two on the same hardware, with all patches installed, 7 outperforms XP, in my experience.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #147
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
What difference does it make?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #148
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
In our family we have:

3 ereaders for reading novels only
2 tablets for browsing, reading PDFs and casual gaming.
1 Laptop for browsing and casual gaming and dealing with online transactions.
2 desktop PCs for more high end gaming.

The thing is the PCs are pretty old, but are more than enough to handle any games I throw at them. I just don't NEED to upgrade.
That and Windows 8 seems a step backwards for a desktop PC to me, I'm very happy with Windows 7.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #149
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Win8 needs less because less is expected of it at any given time.
In my last post, I exaggerated how much better Windows 8 performance is. But the tests showing Win8 to be better are, I think, valid even when confined to the traditional desktop.

For example, this shows Microsoft Excel 2010 running 9 pecent faster under Win8 than Win7:

http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-v...mance-testing/

Seems like an apple-to-apples comparison to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
To me Windows 8 was summed up by my reading a tech reviewer had to resort to googling how to turn his computer off.
There's a shutdown bug when you disable the logon password. I also had to google the way around this.

I've found Win8 to have few bugs, which isn't, of course, zero bugs. Traditional advice is that if you don't like problems, avoid new Windows operating systems (and Microsoft Office versions) until release of Service Pack 1. In the case of Win8, the equivalent of Service Pack 1 is, according to tech press articles, code-named Windows Blue and expected to be released this year.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
A pre-service pack 1 install of XP would probably outperform a pre-service pack install of 7. But if compare the two on the same hardware, with all patches installed, 7 outperforms XP, in my experience.
That part isn't too surprising. I'm just wondering if it's because Windows 7 is a better OS or if it's because we have much more capable hardware these days (and Windows 7 is designed to take advantage of that hardware, while Windows XP isn't).

To give you some examples: SMP was pretty rare when XP was released and Hyper-Threading wasn't introduced yet, so there was very little point in optimizing XP for concurrent processes. XP also put most of the graphics rendering onto the CPU, possibly because a lot of 2001 vintage low end video cards weren't much better than a frame-buffer at the time. That's just the tip of the iceberg, since there have been an absurd number of changes to PC hardware architecture over the years, none of which an old OS will take advantage of simply because it doesn't know how to use it.