Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
IRC from the kindle

This is actually a guide! yay!

To use IRC from the Kindle 3, you need to have optware or debian set up.

then just install irssi and launch it with this:
Code:
TERM=ansi ; irssi -d -c irc.__ircserver__.com -n __desired_nick__
and your ready to go!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This IRC client in 40 lines of shell script worked fine on my K3, but as I recall, I think I had to fix a typo in it:
http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail...ry/000480.html

I like it because it fits nicely into the spirit of my eink algorithmic art script demos, which also push shell scripting to absurd limits:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172182

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hmm yeah. interesting.

:irc.mr.gd NOTICE * :*** Looking up your hostname...
:irc.mr.gd NOTICE * :*** Checking Ident
:irc.mr.gd NOTICE * :*** Found your hostname
:irc.mr.gd NOTICE * :*** No Ident response

Have to waste some time fixing it myself one day
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
In our world of NAT'ed IPv4, ident responses are a thing that have become a seldom sight. I guess this is not an error - especially since it is also tagged with "NOTICE" :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
heh yeah.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
In our world of NAT'ed IPv4, ident responses are a thing that have become a seldom sight. I guess this is not an error - especially since it is also tagged with "NOTICE" :-)
Busybox may have a "fake" ident server in its build, check there.
OR
It is fairly easy to "fake" with a script run by inetd - just return the string "nobody" whenever asked.
OR
as HH says - ignore it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not likely, however, that the Kindle will be reachable directly from the network the IRC server resides (since that is typically the Internet) - in most cases there will be a router in between, doing NAT for a private subnet. You would then have to configure that router to do either fake ident responses itself (a lot of them can actually do this!) or forward ident requests to your Kindle. My suggestion: just don't bother.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not likely, however, that the Kindle will be reachable directly from the network the IRC server resides (since that is typically the Internet) - in most cases there will be a router in between, doing NAT for a private subnet. You would then have to configure that router to do either fake ident responses itself (a lot of them can actually do this!) or forward ident requests to your Kindle. My suggestion: just don't bother.
In the USA, the "Free Wifi" is provided by AT&T Hotspots.
Which do forward (or NAT, or proxy) the Ident queries.

And if they don't, then you will never have to make a fake reply.
No harm, no problem.

Hmm...
Another consideration which I did not mention above - -
The default iptables in a Kindle are set to block the queries, so they will not respond to "ident" queries unless updated to do so.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Don't IRC as root.

Because of this nice thread i installed successfull Irssi, but also only on Optware.

I tried out to connect to my favourite Server which I couldn't visit a long time.
But during to connect to the server it gave an error. I should not IRC as root.
Fine, I thought and then I began to add an user which one could do nothing until I installed sudo. Now I can be root if I would type "sudo command". After configure it works fine. If i start now Irssi without sudo at the start the error still comes.

Maybe someone knows the answer?

Best regards,
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-15-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Bagerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Try the Mobileread IRC server - it doesn't mind if your "root".
Old 12-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Is there no other option? Maybe start irssi as not root or there are any other irc clients? Because I don't want join the server from this website.

Best regards,
Bagerfahrer
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
hawhill
Wizard

I don't really understand your error description for the current situation. How do you switch the session over to the user account?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Maybe I forgot to tell you that there was an email to contact them. I wrote a short email. I am not sure that this was the reason why i can now connect to server without any problems because I changed in few files some lines in /etc/ for the already added user.

@hawhill: what are you meaning? If you asked how I login to an account I use the login <user> command.

Best regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-16-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
hawhill
Wizard

That was one thing I meant. The other thing is that you aren't quoting any meaningful error messages. But those probably aren't very important here.

I guess that "login" doesn't clean the environment properly. Did you check the environment variables after using "login"? But probably now you don't need to bother anymore if it works now...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
That was one thing I meant. The other thing is that you aren't quoting any meaningful error messages. But those probably aren't very important here.

I guess that "login" doesn't clean the environment properly. Did you check the environment variables after using "login"? But probably now you don't need to bother anymore if it works now...
Sorry that i didn't quote the error. It's really hard to type it on the Kindle.

When I type echo $PATH as no user and then when I successful login I get different $PATH output. I can only change the $PATH from the user when I edit the /etc/profile. That is one reason why I need an user because I had to add /opt/bin and /opt/sbin directory to the $PATH which will save only for non-user in the current window session when I use the export command.
Where I find the file to change the $PATH for the non-user?

Best regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.