Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1321
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi everyone,

v2.1.4 has begun rolling out to Kobo Touch devices now. It is a staggered/throttled rollout so everyone will not get the upgrade at the same time. The full rollout should be completed over the next week or so.

Thanks all for your patience.

Sameer.
Keep checking this thread Sameer, we'll let you how this firmware update is working.

Don't worry, we won't stint on our praise..................or otherwise.... or
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1322
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Keep checking this thread Sameer, we'll let you how this firmware update is working.

Don't worry, we won't stint on our praise..................or otherwise.... or
It's probably time to move to the 2.1.4 thread to give feedback ... when I looked a moment ago it was up to five pages already!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #1323
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
Any chance of a quick review? Stuff works? Quick page turns?
I'm sorry! I inadvertently lied to you. Turns out - I'd updated to 2.0 in anticipation of the 2.1.4 release, and I was just in the 2.0 update loop bug. Got the Shelves-not-working bug too, logged out and did the setup yet again (groan), and now I'm stuck on the cluuunky 2.0 pending the 2.1.4 rollout here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #1324
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm sorry! I inadvertently lied to you. Turns out - I'd updated to 2.0 in anticipation of the 2.1.4 release, and I was just in the 2.0 update loop bug. Got the Shelves-not-working bug too, logged out and did the setup yet again (groan), and now I'm stuck on the cluuunky 2.0 pending the 2.1.4 rollout here.
That explains it. Due to a question elsewhere, I had looked in PeakCrew's list of devices and seen that yours was one that didn't update past 2.0.0. So, I was very surprised when the update went OK for you yesterday. Unfortunately, the issue isn't the roll-out time, but a problem with some devices. Kobo know about it and and have fixed it. But, I think their issue is how to roll it out to those "lucky" few.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1325
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
Well, I tried installing the 2.1.4 firmware linked up there.

And, of course, it crashes my Kobo whenever I try to open a sideloaded epub that worked on the 1.9 firmware.
You have had a response from a Kobo developer, but I am curious to know what database version is on the device. From what I have seen, this is updated by the desktop app before the update. If you haven't connected recently and tried to update the firmware, it might have issues.

Quote:
Guys, can you get your marbles in a row long enough to let me use my reader like it's designed to be used?
A comment:

You do realize you are using this reader in a way that it is not designed to be used? It is designed to have the firmware updated in a particular manner. If you don't do that, any problems are at least partly of your own making.
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #1326
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

A comment:

You do realize you are using this reader in a way that it is not designed to be used? It is designed to have the firmware updated in a particular manner. If you don't do that, any problems are at least partly of your own making.
I believe it WAS designed to be updated manually. How else could they beta test?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #1327
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Beta testers accept that the whole process, including the manual update, may have problems. If you decide to do something that you're informed, up front, is potentially problematical you have to accept responsibility for choosing that course.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #1328
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I believe it WAS designed to be updated manually. How else could they beta test?
While it may be built to allow manual installation, that also takes out what may be important steps in the upgrade process. There have been major changes to the database structure since the touch first came out and the automated update process would have a better chance of making sure everything updates correctly than dropping a hugely different version on it. I have seen it do a two stage update (download, update, then restart go thru update with no additional download) before (it was updating the database structure in this case I believe).
It's not a supported way of doing things so if it works for you great, but you can't really blame Kobo if it doesn't. And as ottdmk said, if you're beta testing you know there is potential that things are going to be broken in the build or that it may cook you database and force you to factory reset.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #1329
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I agree with what the others said, but will add something else for the beta testing. When doing this, the developers sometimes specified a start state. Some of the beta firmware required a factory reset followed by an update to the latest release. Some of them required the download of a beta version of the desktop application and running that before installing the beta firmware.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #1330
Dipsomaniac
Dipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
You have had a response from a Kobo developer, but I am curious to know what database version is on the device. From what I have seen, this is updated by the desktop app before the update. If you haven't connected recently and tried to update the firmware, it might have issues.

A comment:

The way that I updated the firmware is exactly how the release does it, unless Kobo has managed to completely change the game. Running firmware can't be updated. Nobody updating from 1.9.x to 2.1.4 has reported a two-stage update. Also, if the release process is that different from the beta install, how are they testing the release? Only internally? That would be poor.

Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 10-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Dipsomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #1331
Tygeray
Tygeray began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Hi Tygeray, welcome to the forum.

Could you provide us with some more details to make it easier to try to help?

- Which firmware version do you have? 2.0.0, 2.0.2, 2.1.1... You can find this in settings (either the cogwheel in the top left of the home screen, or the three horizontal lines on the top right of the home screen), and then under "Device information," "Software details."

- What exactly happens when your KT "crashes"?

- Any other details or things that occur before, during, or after the crash.
Thanks for the reply, looks like everything OK now. I did a full reset and started again. No further problems.
Tygeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #1332
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
I agree with what the others said, but will add something else for the beta testing. When doing this, the developers sometimes specified a start state. Some of the beta firmware required a factory reset followed by an update to the latest release. Some of them required the download of a beta version of the desktop application and running that before installing the beta firmware.

I agree too, nevertheless, it WAS designed to be updated via manual installation. Hence the success most people have doing it. Unfortunately, we also hear of failures when updating via the sanctioned method. Nothing is 100% certain.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1333
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
The way that I updated the firmware is exactly how the release does it, unless Kobo has managed to completely change the game. Running firmware can't be updated. Nobody updating from 1.9.x to 2.1.4 has reported a two-stage update. Also, if the release process is that different from the beta install, how are they testing the release? Only internally? That would be poor.
No it isn't. The desktop application can update the database on the device before putting the firmware onto it. Plus it makes sure it gets firmware suitable for your device.

And you can do a firmware update via WiFi. It downloads the update and then prompts to restart. Then the install happens. And no, I don't know how the database changes are handled in this situation.

As to the 1.9.x to 2.1.4 updates, I don't think I have seen one mentioned that wasn't a broken manual update. But, someone has mentioned they saw a double restart during their update. And there will be devices that need a two-stage update. There is an issue with some devices sold mainly in Australia. These require an intermediate firmware before going to 2.1.4. There has been a couple of reports of the intermediate firmware, 2.0.4, being rolled out.

I don't know how Kobo test the release install. I have not been involved with that. After the problems installing 2.0.0 and how few problems have been reported with installing 2.1.4, I assume they did work something out. Actually, I don't think I have seen a single installation problem with 2.1.4 when it was done through the official channels.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #1334
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm with David on this. When Kobo has a bad install or buggy firmware MR sees a big uptick of new users that have found the site and are here now to get help or complain. What I am seeing with 2.1.4 seems to be people who have reverted Kobos, taken non-standard update paths, and are running into difficulties.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #1335
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm with David on this. When Kobo has a bad install or buggy firmware MR sees a big uptick of new users that have found the site and are here now to get help or complain. What I am seeing with 2.1.4 seems to be people who have reverted Kobos, taken non-standard update paths, and are running into difficulties.
I agree also. A lot of people were frustrated with faulty releases, so they did what they had to do to get something adequate.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote