Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Android Market

The KF accidentally gave me a brief but dazzling look at the Android Market today. Is there really no way to get this stuff besides put it on an Android phone and copy it to the KF? Why can't I just download it to a computer and copy it to my KF?--what kind of cruelty is this? I thought I would be happy to have what Amazon and the other alternate markets offered. Are they crazy? Everyone would want one of these if it had the Android Market. Insanity. I never should have looked.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
You could look into rooting it if you're wanting to get Google's marketplace.

I know of a couple people who bought a Fire just to root and have a cheapy tablet.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
You could look into rooting it if you're wanting to get Google's marketplace.

I know of a couple people who bought a Fire just to root and have a cheapy tablet.
I've been thinking about it.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
TOTALLY worth it. .
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
beej231
Addict

But scary. I'm afraid I'll brick it.
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
It's not that difficult and I agree that it's well worth it. Go to the XDA forums and get the Kindle Fire Utility v0.93. It will root and install all of the google apps for you.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGolf View Post
It's not that difficult and I agree that it's well worth it. Go to the XDA forums and get the Kindle Fire Utility v0.93. It will root and install all of the google apps for you.
I'm am also afraid to do this.
I have Go Launcher EX and Rotating Wallpaper on mine along with tons of unauthorized apps and widgets.
Would I need to uninstall all of that in order to root.
The main thing I want is to use my own wallpaper and use Go Launcher EX without fear. Can I do that after rooting without the Rotating Wallpaper app?
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Rooting is just "opening" some gates to make it possible installing other stuff. It does not change anything with your installed apps.

No clue about your second question, I am using GO (and it works on my FIRE without any problems) as it is, did not change the wallpapers.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
But scary. I'm afraid I'll brick it.
I'd steer clear.

Enough posts in xda about folks trying to avoid updates of the software or having to unroot then reroot.

There are plenty of app stores loaded with APK files to keep folks busy.

Need google apps? Then buy something else. Android tablets are getting cheaper by the day (just do your homework) and many have the full android market included.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Although it's nice to know that rooting, and in fact replacing the whole operating system with a standard Android build, is an option, so far I haven't run into anything I wanted from the Android Market that wasn't also available from one of a dozen other available markets or as a direct APK download, all of which works just fine on an un-rooted Fire.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
MikeGolf
Connoisseur
MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.MikeGolf can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
I'm am also afraid to do this.
I have Go Launcher EX and Rotating Wallpaper on mine along with tons of unauthorized apps and widgets.
Would I need to uninstall all of that in order to root.
The main thing I want is to use my own wallpaper and use Go Launcher EX without fear. Can I do that after rooting without the Rotating Wallpaper app?
I left everything installed, ran the utility, rooted the device, installed fire fire fire, and then installed Google apps. I can't say it enough times. It's really not as bad or as difficult as some people will make you believe. In fact, it's really only modifying a small chunk of code. My fire runs just like everyone else's.

Unrooted kindles crash just like rooted ones.
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
beej231
Addict

Just about done with the KF

Just 8 hours ago I was happy as could be--well maybe thinking for rooting and now I'm considering sending it back.
Today alone: Could not download from the music store unless I bought songs "in the style of" rather the original music from the original artist. When I would search for the original artist it could not be found. When I finally got that all straightened out, the music would not download from the cloud to the device. I don't care what the current trend is, music streamed from the cloud is often jerky and reminds me of of a beat up vinyl record. Stuff on the cloud is useless when you aren't near any wifi.With help from Amazon (and many cautions that the music is "safer" in the cloud) I downloaded one song and then dashed for my iMac and iTunes where the music is always safe with Apple and if you lose it, they will happily assist you to retrieve it for free. It is also safe on my iPhone, iPod, and Time Capsule and iMac.

Touch interpretation is way off today. A sigh will cause pages to be flipped, apps to start and close, while actual finger pounding does not accomplish anything at all. I turned it off and gave it a rest for about a half hour, charged it up and turned i t back on. I now have one book in the carrousel. None on the other bookshelves. About half my apps are gone.

Logging in at various places has been a challenge with the keyboard bouncing up and down as if on springs. It disappears when I need to type and springs back when I don't. And that's just a few of the things that have gone wrong today.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
I would guess that 8-9 out of 10 Apps on the Google Market can be found on an alternative Market or by simply doing a Google Search with apk at the end.

Android Community website syncs their App data directly from the Android Market. Most of the FREE Apps available on the Android Market can be downloaded from this site.

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Just 8 hours ago I was happy as could be--well maybe thinking for rooting and now I'm considering sending it back.
Today alone: Could not download from the music store unless I bought songs "in the style of" rather the original music from the original artist. When I would search for the original artist it could not be found. When I finally got that all straightened out, the music would not download from the cloud to the device. I don't care what the current trend is, music streamed from the cloud is often jerky and reminds me of of a beat up vinyl record. Stuff on the cloud is useless when you aren't near any wifi.With help from Amazon (and many cautions that the music is "safer" in the cloud) I downloaded one song and then dashed for my iMac and iTunes where the music is always safe with Apple and if you lose it, they will happily assist you to retrieve it for free. It is also safe on my iPhone, iPod, and Time Capsule and iMac.

Touch interpretation is way off today. A sigh will cause pages to be flipped, apps to start and close, while actual finger pounding does not accomplish anything at all. I turned it off and gave it a rest for about a half hour, charged it up and turned i t back on. I now have one book in the carrousel. None on the other bookshelves. About half my apps are gone.

Logging in at various places has been a challenge with the keyboard bouncing up and down as if on springs. It disappears when I need to type and springs back when I don't. And that's just a few of the things that have gone wrong today.
There is something wrong or you install an app that caused issues. I would do a factory reset and see if it fixes and if not then get it replaced. My first Fire started acting like that before it stopped working. My new one works beautifully but I don't have alot 3rd party apps installed. Only ones I trust.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There is something wrong or you install an app that caused issues. I would do a factory reset and see if it fixes and if not then get it replaced. My first Fire started acting like that before it stopped working. My new one works beautifully but I don't have alot 3rd party apps installed. Only ones I trust.
I'm going try a factory reset and l'm sure that will do it. It's just that today I had a low tolerance for this kind of stuff. I would have happily "bricked" it right out my window. Thanks for putting up with my whining.