Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
This thread's all about promo, folks. And you gotta hand it to one, the royal family and its PR folks get their timing right every time. Even the Queen was instructed to make a slight but humble bow as Di's coffin passed by her (merci Alistair Campbell). Pretty impressive stuff is good promotion. Covers up a multipe of sins and shins and repairs reputations. For authors and publishers it can make or break 'em. Hoots. Scotsman Neil (who never takes offence, but is always wildly open-eared and open-eyed to all ideas)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it is excellent marketing, and pretty standard to time promotions to events. Cheap copies of the ring are selling like hotcakes right now. We love "our" Kate and William too, you know. After all, his mom was our people's princess also.

But seriously, while I sit here yawning, drinking my morning coffee, on the news they are doing the show on today being the start of Indy Car racing, interviewing the Andretti's, etc. One segment featured talking with folks who are here for the races who are crowding the new outlet mall convieniently located across the interstate from the track. The mall is doing big sales this weekend because of the influx of visitors.

Why on earth would anyone hesitate to take advantage of the hype surrounding the royal wedding in order to sell more soap?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Tie it! Seems like smart business move to me.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #19
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Perhaps no one will claim him - James Hewitt says he's not his, (and who can blame him), and he clearly has no genetic link with Charlie Windsor, so maybe he's an orphan. It's so sad...
William has the same bald spot as Charlie. It's Harry I think you can wonder who the father is. Meanwhile, there has been a story about the wedding every night on the 6 o'clock news here in Sydney for the last week or so.
The networks are going to play this wedding for everything they can squeeze out of it. You watch I bet we see reruns of Charles and Dianna's as well just to push in a couple of million dollars extra advertising through.

So to stay on topic. Yep! Neil you really summed it up with the mention of Hereafter. It can work both ways.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remember the Charles and Diana wedding hype? I was recently divorced at the time and living the bachelor life in a couple of rooms above a pub.

I persuaded the pub to make it a wedding-free zone. The TV was fixed to a sport channel and any customer caught so much as mentioning royalty or marriage was barred for the duration.

Result ... page leads all round for the happy weddingless pub in all UK national press and TV. The only refuge in Britain.

Good fun -- and custom increased fourfold overnight.

That's what I mean about the importance of timing in promotion.

Hoots toots. Neil
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #21
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
it's Harry whose parentage has been questioned, not William. I like Royal Weddings, even though I am (an Australian) Republican. And hope that Charles and that person Camilla never become King and Queen of Australia. As for the book, I don't think it matters.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #22
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yet another slow news day with a focus on Kate. I'm taken a leaf out of Neil's book and have declared our house and my cubicle at work a Royal Wedding free zone.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
neilmarr
neilmarr

Hi Pushka. Two old pals of mine -- very well known authors -- got together with the publisher of their book about the wedding and fixed it so that a wedding report and pictures could be included and new cover designed at the last minute for instant release and distribution to all retail -- to bookshops, news stands and supermarkets -- the very next day. Still think release timing is anything less than vital? Cheers. Neil
Old 04-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #24
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Still think release timing is anything less than vital? Cheers. Neil
Wish I had a percentage!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh not the wedding. Why do we have to care for that wedding. Those so called "royal" people don't care about our weddings so why should we care about them. Be happy etc but keep it to your regal selves please.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #26
neilmarr
neilmarr

***Wish I had a percentage!***

Me too, Mark. But we might pick up digital rights. Cheers. Neil
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I just don't think that people will be after a book with all the other merchandise that is out there.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #28
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Heck, I may get up early to watch the wedding but I'll definitely record it so I can skip through the commercials. I watched Charles and Diana's when I was in college. I'm more interested in the clothing and love to figure out how the various gowns (and gentleman's wear) were fabricated and from what fabrics. Plus, I love seeing all the crazy hats!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr

Well -- what the heck -- we went for release of this book on April 29 and the result is Wedding Bells to Cover Right Royal Clangers. If you want to take a look, it's all over the net now and the full version is at http://www.bewritebooks.blogspot.com. Lots of fun. I'll let you know if the innocent wee hijack pays off. Hoots toots the noo. Neil
Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I just don't think that people will be after a book with all the other merchandise that is out there.
I really, really, really want to get one of these commemorative cups: http://www.guandongenterprisesltd.com/ Though I see there are a few already available on eBay at what I suspect are outrageous prices.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote