Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Help us find Sony store prices that are out of whack

There have been observations that a few of the Connect online store e-book prices seem oddly out of line. We would like your help in compiling a list of these titles to pass on to Sony. (Thanks to Morbius for the idea.) No promises that anything will come of it, but surely Sony doesn't want their book prices to be set at prices that are not reasonable.

As the list grows, I will pass it to Sony for their consideration. If prices really are out of line, they might be able to work with the publishers on the price. There's no way to tell what Sony may or may not do with the list, or if publishers will want to work with Sony on pricing, but it seems to be in the best interest of everyone - customers, Sony and the publishers.

NOTE:This thread is NOT to be used for discussion of the store or pricing or general complaints about pricing. You can express those views here.

Please provide all the relevant information for the book and pricing. Maybe that info like this is one way to start...
* Title
* Author
* Sony Connect price
* Competitor's price (Amazon, eReader, MobiPocket, etc)
* Is it available in paperback?

Links would be nice also. I'm sure a pattern will evolve as to how to best report these.

Remember that we're looking for prices that look out of whack, and might be a mistake, not a discussion of pricing or whether e-books are priced too high in general!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
1. Anansi Boys
2. Neil Gaiman
3. $16
4. Mobipocket , Amazon : $8
5: Paperback

1. Coraline
2. Neil Gaiman
3. $10
4. Mobipocket , Amazon : $6

1. Thud!
2. Terry Pratchett
3. $16
4. Paperback

1. Ilium
2. Dan Simmons
3. $16

1. Radiant
2. James Alan Gardner
3. $15
5. Paperback

1. Exile's Return
2. Raymond E. Feist
3. $16
3. Mobipocket , Amazon: $8
5. Paperback
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
1. Salem Falls
2. Jodi Picoult
3. $19
4. eReader: $8.99
5. Paperback
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
1776 by David McCullough

Amazon: USD 10.80
Sony: USD 13.59
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! I was just doing some spot checking and Anansi Boys has dropped to $6.39! In fact, they all seem to have dropped now.

Told ya Sony monitors this forum!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
Morbius
Morbius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Didn't have time to do a lot of looking tonight, but here's some of the more serious "pricing errors" I was able to find:

1. The Truth (with jokes)
2. Al Franken
3. Sony price : $20.76
4. Amazon.Com : $10.20, BN.Com : $12.15

1. Lies: And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
2. Al Franken
4. Amazon.Com : $10.78, BN.Com : $12.60

1. The Book on Bush : How George W. (Mis)leads America
2. Eric Alterman, Mark J. Green
3. Sony price : $12.00
4. Amazon.Com : $4.50

1. Dune: The Butlerian Jihad
2. Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson
3. Sony price : $22.36
4. Amazon.Com : $7.99, BM.Com: $7.19
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! I was just doing some spot checking and Anansi Boys has dropped to $6.39! In fact, they all seem to have dropped now.

Told ya Sony monitors this forum!
Impressive. Well done, Sony!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Regarding categories, The Books of Magic should be at the graphic novels section (not fantasy), while Gibson's Neuromancer, Dick's Valis and The Divine Invasion, Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Star Trek New Frontier should be at the sci-fi (not fantasy).

Sometimes the line between sci-fi and fantasy is blurry, but these cases are kind of obvious.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They also have quite some Sci-fi and Fantasy in the Astronomy section.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Morbius
Morbius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
And....here's another list I was able to put together today, where Sony's prices seem way out of line. So in spite of some of the titles changing price, there still seems to be lots that don't make sense.

Actually, while compiling this latest list, I came up with what seems to be a pretty easy way to find mis-priced titles....simply pick a category, and start paging through the thumbnails, looking for anything in the $15-$20+ range. Invariably, I'm able to find paperback pricing for those titles on Amazon or Barnes and Nobel. So I think a good thing for Sony to do (rather than having us try to search all these out) would be to have their own folks just scan their database for books in that price range, and compare that list to paperback pricing/availability. I think they'd find where all their problems are!

Anyway Bob, as their still seem to be lots of overpriced titles, I'm hoping you'll still provide the lists supplied here to Sony, rather than assume they've fixed everything! And thanks for doing this! Here's my latest list:

1. The Dark Tower (book 7)
2. Stephen King
3. Sony price : $19.99
4. Amazon.Com : $9.99, BN.Com : $13.64

1. Dead as a Doornail
2. Charlaine Harris
3. Sony price : $18.36
4. Amazon.Com : $7.99, BN.Com : $7.19

1. Bag of Bones
2. Stephen King
3. Sony price : $22.40

1. Goliath
2. Steve Allen
3. Sony price : $22.40

1. The Last Vampire
2. Whitley Strieber
3. Sony price : $19.96
4. Amazon.Com : $6.99

1. Are Men Necessary?
2. Maureen Dowd
4. Amazon.Com : $10.20, BN.Com : $12.15

1. Without Mercy
2. Jack Higgins
4. Amazon.Com : $9.99, BN.Com : $8.99

1. Cell: A Novel by
2. Stephen King
3. Sony price : $13.59
4. Amazon.Com : $9.99

Last edited by Morbius; 10-10-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Morbius!

Of course, I'll be glad to make sure Sony sees the list every so often. Can't promise that they will always change prices, of course, but it's obviously is good to have that info available for them. Hopefully, as you suggest, they are looking at long term solutions to the pricing anomalies. Depending on the information and people that are available, plus maybe other circumstances like if there is any interaction with publishers (although Jane was suggesting they might not need to be in the loop), it might either be easy or hard to fix.

Regardless of whether they can continue to move prices, it'still pretty amazing that a company like Sony would even show this kind of interest in issues like this! I think the desire to get things right is half the battle.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
1. The Rehnquist Choice
2. John Dean
3. Sony price: $20.80
4. Mobipocket and eReader : $9.99
5. Paperback

Last edited by ojleblanc; 10-13-2006 at 10:37 PM.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
Chimpmanzee
Chimpmanzee began at the beginning.

Books of Magic Novelizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
Regarding categories, The Books of Magic should be at the graphic novels section (not fantasy),
Actually, the "The Books of Magic" series probably is better off in the fantasy section...these are novelizations of the graphic novels...not the graphic novels themselves...here is a link to Amazon.com listing for the first volume:

Books of Magic #1: The Invitation at Amazon

- ChimpManZee
Chimpmanzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
lordvetinari2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpmanzee
Actually, the "The Books of Magic" series probably is better off in the fantasy section...these are novelizations of the graphic novels...not the graphic novels themselves...
Sacrilege!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Another one, which I had intended to buy, but of course not at this price:

1. The Patriots Club
2. Christopher Reich
3. Connect $14.36
4. Amazon $7.99
5. Mass Market Paperback

I've put an update and some comments about this in the price discussion thread. (Still trying to keep this thread "clean.")