Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
fregatte
fregatte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Kindle PW 2 FW 5.4.2 problem only default Dictionary accessible

Hi,

I do have a couple of dictionaries installed on my device.

So I should have a choice to choose between my dictionaries:

"HOW TO CHANGE DICTIONARIES ON KINDLE PAPERWHITE

While looking up a word on the new Kindle Paperwhite (by tapping on it), you’ll see a little popup with a headline containing the name of your current dictionary. Next to the dictionary’s name, there’s a little arrow.

kindle-paperwhite-dictionary
By tapping the arrow, you get a list of all your currently installed dictionaries:"

It should look like this:

[Image deleted -MODERATOR]

I do only see the default dictionary.

I have the feeling, that my device does not recognize my dictionaries as dictionary even though they are listed in settings where I have to choose my default dictionary.

Any idea?

fregatte

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.
fregatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
For the Paperwhite 2013 go to Main Menu / Menu / Settings / Device Options / Language and Dictionaries / Dictionaries / English /

Then select which dictionary you want and click OK.

The PW 2013 only allows one Dictionary to be used at one time while the PW 2012 allows two Dictionaries, one Default plus the New Oxford American Dictionary. The second Dictionary must be made your default one.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
fregatte

Thanks for coming back to my post; I already have defined my default dictionary in Main Menu / Menu / Settings / Device Options / Language and Dictionaries / Dictionaries / English /

This so far works fine.

The point is, that on my device I do not see the arrow in the first line of my pop up screen, so that I can not choose another one (in case the word is not in my default dictionary or I want further background information of a word).

Normally there should be this window with the arrow:

"While looking up a word on the new Kindle Paperwhite (by tapping on it), you’ll see a little popup with a headline containing the name of your current dictionary. Next to the dictionary’s name, there’s a little arrow.

By tapping the arrow, you get a list of all your currently installed dictionaries:"

Or do your answer mean, that this functionality is working only on the old 2012 PW? That would - from my point of view - not make any sense.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the obvious question, but do you have any other dictionaries installed?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregatte View Post
Thanks for coming back to my post; I already have defined my default dictionary in Main Menu / Menu / Settings / Device Options / Language and Dictionaries / Dictionaries / English /

This so far works fine.

The point is, that on my device I do not see the arrow in the first line of my pop up screen, so that I can not choose another one (in case the word is not in my default dictionary or I want further background information of a word).

Normally there should be this window with the arrow:

"While looking up a word on the new Kindle Paperwhite (by tapping on it), you’ll see a little popup with a headline containing the name of your current dictionary. Next to the dictionary’s name, there’s a little arrow.

Or do your answer mean, that this functionality is working only on the old 2012 PW? That would - from my point of view - not make any sense.
That is the one major defect of the PW 2013 - it only allows ONE dictionary at a time. The PW 2012 allows TWO. I own both units.

On the PW 2012 I use BOTH the Bible Encyclopedia and the New Oxford American Dictionary. On the PW 2013 I must CHANGE dictionaries when I need the Bible Encyclopedia.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
fregatte

every suggestion is fine;

but I have installed different dictionaries (they are also shown in the setting area as dictionaries).

Would be also great to know the dictionary functionality (popup windows with the possibility to choose an alternative dictionary) is working for another user with the same item / firmware.

If yes I will give a factory reset a try.

tnx
Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
fregatte

@sirmaru

that clarifies;

Have I got it right that you do need to switch the dictionaries in the settings every time on your PW 2013 (PW 2) and not on your PW 2012?

tnx
Old 12-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
fregatte

I am now a little bit confused because according this link:

http://learnoutlive.com/how-to-chang...le-paperwhite/

(I hope this link is allowed)

the switching should be possible even on a PW 2013.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

Link does not match

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregatte View Post
I am now a little bit confused because according this link:

http://learnoutlive.com/how-to-chang...le-paperwhite/

(I hope this link is allowed)

the switching should be possible even on a PW 2013.

That link does NOT match my PW 2013 Dictionary screen. The date on that article is Sep 23, 2013, and may have been that way on the first units using Firmware Version 5.3.9 but was changed later. I am using Firmware Version 5.4.2.

That link DOES match my PW 2012 Dictionary screen with Firmware Version 5.3.9.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
fregatte

that seems to be the case but why should amazon go one step backwards.

if this is really working on 5.3.9 (PW 2013) than it might be worth downgrading,

Can anybody confirm that it is working on 5.3.9?

acc to the link:
"UPDATE: this feature is not just available on the new Kindle Paperwhite, it even works on the original Paperwhite, due to the Firmware update."

strange!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
I asked amazon CS a few days ago about this , and they said they will forward my request to the kindle team. If you want this to be implemented on the new kindle PW then everyone should get in touch with CS and asked them to make this function available for the PW2 also.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
fregatte

I have done this also; they were nat able to double check this functionality (as they do not have several dictionaries installed on their support kindles), they mentioned this feature is only implemented in the non German Kindles (what I do not believe - it is on all PW2 5.4.2 not working) but they promised to forward the request to the kindle team.

Fingers crossed!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@fregatte: On my ancient K3, the device automatically selects dictionaries based on the language code of the book. If you have books in multiple languages installed, it couldn't hurt to make sure that all of them have the correct language code, because in the past it often happened that users complained about dictionary lookup not working, only to find out that the language code of all their foreign language books was set to English.

You can check the language code in Calibre by clicking the Edit Metadata button in the toolbar or by opening the book with Java Mobi Metadata Editor.

EDIT:
To exclude problems with the non-English dictionaries themselves, backup your German-English dictionary on your PC, replace it with Michael Sheldon's GPL licensed German-English Kindle dictionary and try to look up a very common word with it in in one of your German books. (If you don't have any German books installed, download one from MR.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-07-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
fregatte

thank you for your hints.

My point is that I want to easily switch between dictionaries in case the first lookup does not bring the appropriate result.

This seems only possible with the PW 2012.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Unfortunately, that feature is only available on PW 2012. It was so handy, what a stupid move by Amazon.

Last edited by myself11; 12-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote