Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
rstoothoff
rstoothoff began at the beginning.

Device: none
Epub to Kindle?

Starting from InDesign, I've produced three .AZW3 (K8) files: (1) by using the ID Export for Kindle plug-in, (2) by exporting to .epub and then opening in Kindle Previewer (i.e. using Kindlegen) and (3) by converting with Calibre. Each is different, and none is perfect. In (1), the Kindle-required toc looks awful, there are some mysterious formatting issues (paragraphs indented where they shouldn't be, &c), and Arial is not embedded. In (2) there is no toc, but also no formatting issues and Arial is embedded. In (3) There is no thumbnail of the cover in the Library (whereas there are thumbnails for (1) and (2)), but no formatting issues, Arial is embedded and the Kindle-required toc looks good, though it appears between two cover pages. I'd like to tweak (3) so as to produce the thumbnail and remove one of the cover pages, but I'm not sure how to do this. Can anyone help?
rstoothoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I'm not sure if the rules that applied to the Kindle inline TOC for K7 mobi files still apply to KF8, but if you haven't read these articles/solutions it might be worth a shot:
Calibre FAQ
KF7 ePub to Mobi Solution to link inline TOC

I'd also recommend making sure the ePub exported from inDesign looks ok in Adobe Digital Editions and Sigil, it should, but it's worth a sanity check. If it doesn't you might want to use Sigil for the very final bit of tweaking.

Regarding the cover not showing up in the Library, Did Calibre detect the cover and display it when you added the book to the Calibre library (or did you just use the CLI)? If Calibre didn't detect it you can add the cover to Calibre's metadata for the book and Calibre 'should' set it in the correct way for the final ebook.

The other possible cause is that Calibre's KF8 output has only relatively recently been reverse engineered, so it's quite possible there are still kinks to work out.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
scheife
Book Designer
scheife began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have had better success using Kindle Previewer to open my ePub files and convert them to .mobi files, versus the ID Export to Kindle feature. There have just been fewer surprises that way in my experience. The only down side is that the linkable TOC (not the .ncx TOC) does not get created properly, though it seems Amazon has eased up on their necessity for that component.

Ryan Scheife

Last edited by scheife; 03-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.
scheife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
rstoothoff
rstoothoff began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your help. I think I've sorted the thumbnbail problem. Both the .azw3 and .mobi files created by Calibre look OK in Kindle and Kindle Previewer.
rstoothoff is offline   Reply With Quote