Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
belladove
belladove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
removing/uninstalling preloaded apps

I guess the apparent new ability to remove facebook, imdb, etc. from the carousel is the best l can hope for?

I get that many preloaded apps are needed, not looking to blow them away indiscriminately, but if there's a way to get rid of a select few l sure would love to know.

Since l am guessing this is not possible, does anyone have a feel for how much brainpower they may be using up? Negligible or significant?

Last edited by belladove; 12-27-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: adding
belladove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladove View Post
I guess the apparent new ability to remove facebook, imdb, etc. from the carousel is the best l can hope for?

I get that many preloaded apps are needed, not looking to blow them away indiscriminately, but if there's a way to get rid of a select few l sure would love to know.

Since l am guessing this is not possible, does anyone have a feel for how much brainpower they may be using up? Negligible or significant?
The preinstall apps are not taking up any battery life or resources. You might even find a few useful. All Android devices come with some preinstall apps. My phone is filled with them I can't get rid of them either. the Fire only has a select few some I am okay with it.

If you root you can get rid of them but that's the only way.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
belladove
belladove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you ... in that case, l will learn to live with them.
belladove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I cant uninstall the FB app that was preinstalled. How did you manage that? Im at 6.2.1 and it still has it locked
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I cant uninstall the FB app that was preinstalled. How did you manage that? Im at 6.2.1 and it still has it locked
I think the OP was referring to removing it from the Carousel not actually uninstalling it. I don't think it's possible to do that with the pre-installed apps, even with the update.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
It is easy, navigate, rooted, to system - apps, get mounted rw, delete the app you do not like. Probably sava a copy before you do so.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Im not rooting just sideloading on my Fire, thanks though
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
You can delete apps by going into your account on Amazon, then Your Apps and Devices, and then go to Actions and then Delete This App.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
You can delete apps by going into your account on Amazon, then Your Apps and Devices, and then go to Actions and then Delete This App.
The Facebook app does now show up there for me.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
The Facebook app does now show up there for me.
It only works for apps that aren't pre-installed.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote