Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
tensorproduct
tensorproduct began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Getting a Kindle exclusive book on a Sony Reader

Hi

I want to get the Neal Stephenson book Reamde on my Sony PRS-650, but as far as I can tell, the ebook is only available for Amazon Kindle.

This is probably a pretty common question, but I can't seem to find any sort of answer. Is there any way to install a Kindle book on a Sony device?

Thanks
tensorproduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, there is a way. Remove DRM, and convert the mobi-file to epub using Calibre.
Make sure you are willing and able to do this before you spend money on your book.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
MobileRead would prefer that we not post instructions for how to remove DRM. A Google search for ApprenticeAlf should provide you with the tools you need. I'd recommend getting one of Amazon's free books to test with before investing in a book.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensorproduct View Post
Hi

I want to get the Neal Stephenson book Reamde on my Sony PRS-650, but as far as I can tell, the ebook is only available for Amazon Kindle.

This is probably a pretty common question, but I can't seem to find any sort of answer. Is there any way to install a Kindle book on a Sony device?

Thanks
Reamde is not exclusive to Amazon. It is available in ePub from other shops including Sony. So no need to buy from Amazon and jump through hoops to get it on your 650.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=reamde
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Heck, it's even available as an ePub at the Chicago Public Library. I have a hold on it right now.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Heck, it's even available as an ePub at the Chicago Public Library. I have a hold on it right now.
That's even better...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
tensorproduct

Thanks for the replies!

I'd sooner not go <language edit by moderation> around with DRM either, so I'll stay away from that.

As to Reamde being available in the Sony store, I should have been more specific: in my territory (the UK) the ebook is only available through Amazon. As far as I can tell, outside of North America it is exclusive to the Kindle. I suspect that this due to licenses in other territories not yet being worked out, ratehr than a deliberate ploy on Amazon's part.

II may just have to wait and see.

Last edited by dreams; 10-12-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: <language edit by moderation>
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensorproduct View Post
Thanks for the replies!.............I'd sooner not go ....... around with DRM either, so I'll stay away from that.
"Allegedly" it is very easy to strip DRM , and I hear it is not a hassle once whatever it is that allegedly does the trick is installed ................

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
tensorproduct

Ah, I managed to find an online retailer selling the ePub edition of Reamde to UK customers. www.booksonboard.com
I'm a little embarrassed really, now that I've founnd the site I seem to see a lot of favourable reviews for them.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Indulis
Indulis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Amazon book download checks IP address

So, to make sure you only download books which are licensed to your country, do not use a VPN like AlwaysVPN to connect to Amazon.

It would be interesting to also download a "free sample" chapter which is available for many books to see how DRM works when you try to use it.

Apparently there are ways in which you can easily remove DRM, but noone would try that- not when you can legally pay for a book and download it, then finds you are not allowed to read it on the device you want to read it on.

It is funny that various governments crow about "free trade" at the same time as allowing restrictions of trade in the electronic versions of the same "free trade" items. The Australian govt made a big deal about allowing parallel imports of books and CDs from multiple countries to break monopoly pricing and to "improve competition" just before MP3s and e-books got locked "to country".
Indulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulis View Post
It would be interesting to also download a "free sample" chapter which is available for many books to see how DRM works when you try to use it.
Amazon sample chapters are not DRM-protected.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulis View Post

Apparently there are ways in which you can easily remove DRM, but noone would try that- not when you can legally pay for a book and download it, then finds you are not allowed to read it on the device you want to read it on.
I am not sure I get this logic. It's exactly because of the fact that users have problems with legally purchased books (you buy them, then find out you can't use them on your device, or other devices, or what not) that some users decide to remove DRM.

Which is, as you suggest, extremely easy.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I am not sure I get this logic. It's exactly because of the fact that users have problems with legally purchased books (you buy them, then find out you can't use them on your device, or other devices, or what not) that some users decide to remove DRM.
Woosh!
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
Indulis

I know chapters are not protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Amazon sample chapters are not DRM-protected.
But there are different book formats, with different capability to be accessed. The sample chapter tells you what type of book it is.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #15
Indulis

Thanks for the whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novou View Post
Woosh!
I will do the hand gestures...