Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #46
Clap42
Clap42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Don't forget that the big difference between Kindle and the others ereaders (like Sony, Kobo, etc) is that you cannot borrow books from your library with the Kindle. For me, it was the reason I put it aside during my selection process.
Clap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #47
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap42 View Post
Don't forget that the big difference between Kindle and the others ereaders (like Sony, Kobo, etc) is that you cannot borrow books from your library with the Kindle. For me, it was the reason I put it aside during my selection process.
I prefer to purchase books from Kindle and Kobo, those two are my favourites (iPhone) and are not too expensive like Sony Reader Store.
Am not familiar with borrowing boks from library so I don't know if I would like that?
I don't like the Kobo Reader from trying in the store, but they are not too expensive. The other one would be Kindle.
I don't think I will go for Sony, just because i like to have wi-fi and download books on the go.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #48
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap42 View Post
I read library books on my kindle all the time. You need to remove DRM (not illegal for personal use in Canada - yet) and convert formats.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #49
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Totally different point of view now since i got myself a library membership card to try out borrowing ebooks. Also, Sony prs350 looks (and is a bit more) more expensive than Kobo. It looks like you get more for your money! Btw it is less expensive because you dont pay app. $10 for every book if u can borrow books for free. I forget about buying books on the go or wifi, think i can live with that!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #50
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yup, BC Libraries download site has a pretty decent selection, though the wait list can be a bit long on some books. As for readers? I still say the Kindle. And just remove the DRM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #51
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I read library books on my kindle all the time. You need to remove DRM (not illegal for personal use in Canada - yet) and convert formats.
Is that correct? Do you mind if I ask how you know that- what the source is? I've googled that question but could not find an answer.
Thanks.

In terms of the Kindle/Kobo/Sony question, I've had all three. In was frustrated with Sony, because the selection was limited, and was always months behind in offering books that Amazon had.

When it was time to replace my reader, as a Canadian, I saw lots of advantages with Kobo. And their books are cheaper as well, due to the frequent % off sales. So i got one, and it is a great little reader. It is light and very nice to hold with one hand.

However, a while later I had a chance to try the Kindle 3, and was blown away. Though i own both, and use both, depending on where I bought the books, the Kindle is the hands down winner! It's features are wonderful, and it is definitely my preferred reader. (However, I do have mixed feelings about issue of sending my business elsewhere, when Kobo is based in Canada)

Last edited by Victoria; 03-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #52
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
(However, I do have mixed feelings about issue of sending my business elsewhere, when Kobo is based in Canada)
I'm not unsympathetic to this in general, but this argument is a little bit like saying I should vote for female candidates because I happen to be a woman. If you like Chapters-Indigo as a corporation, then well and good... but if you don't, then its simply being a Canadian corporation may not be all that important.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #53
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Is that correct? Do you mind if I ask how you know that- what the source is? I've googled that question but could not find an answer.
Thanks.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/index.php...-32&Itemid=411
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #54
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Thanks.

In terms of the Kindle/Kobo/Sony question, I've had all three. In was frustrated with Sony, because the selection was limited, and was always months behind in offering books that Amazon had.

When it was time to replace my reader, as a Canadian, I saw lots of advantages with Kobo. And their books are cheaper as well, due to the frequent % off sales. So i got one, and it is a great little reader. It is light and very nice to hold with one hand.

However, a while later I had a chance to try the Kindle 3, and was blown away. Though i own both, and use both, depending on where I bought the books, the Kindle is the hands down winner! It's features are wonderful, and it is definitely my preferred reader. (However, I do have mixed feelings about issue of sending my business elsewhere, when Kobo is based in Canada)
You are not limited to buying from the sony store with a sony device, I buy from kobo (and amazon stripping drm), and vice versa.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #55
Coorodden
Coorodden began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
I live in Canada, .... I remember reading that the Kobo supports more formats (and DRM?) so I believe I can download from Amazon (and other places) and copy across to the Kobo. But I can't download from Chapters/Indigo and read the books on the Kindle. Is this correct Thanks
I also live in Canada and considering a new e-reader. I have had two Kindles, both keyboard and purchased two others as gifts. I was very satisfied with both, but these no longer work. I am investigating Kobo but want to purchase e-books from Amazon.com. Even with $ conversion they cost less and there is more variety since some titles are not available in Canada.

I have not had a good experience with Adobe DI. If I buy the Kobo, can anyone say how to remove it? From all accounts, the kindle, whatever version is superior to Kobo. I am not really interested in borrowing from the library.

If Kobo supports both Amazon and Chapters ebooks, then that is a huge plus. I doubt I will be downloading from Chapters. Can anyone tell me how this is done?
Coorodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #56
Coorodden
Coorodden began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post

How is this done?
Coorodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorodden View Post
If Kobo supports both Amazon and Chapters ebooks, then that is a huge plus.
It doesn't. It supports DRM-free Mobi books, but rather poorly. That doesn't mean that you can't buy from Amazon, but you'll need to remove the DRM and convert to ePub format for the best reading experience on the Kobo. Not that that's hard to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #58
Clap42
Clap42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
My Sony PRS-350 died during the summer, so I had to find a new reader. I chooSe the Kobo Glo and love it! The integrated light is great to read on the bus on my way back from work, or while walking. it is small and light, perfect for traveling and commutes.
I found Sony's dictionary better than the Kobo's one though. As an ESL, it is a feature that I am using a lot.
I am not using the wifi function much as I prefer to use my computer to browse the public library and select my ebooks. I use Calibre to manage my library.

Last edited by Clap42; 03-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Clap42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, kindle, kobo