Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where do you buy your e-books?

Hello all,

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about e-books and e-bookstores. I know the iPad accesses the ibookstore, and the Kindle accesses the Amazon store. Same with the Sony and Nook with their respective stores. But can you buy books elsewhere with these devices or are you limited to just those places? Who, for instance, buys from Fictionwise, Mobi, Omnilit, or all the other e-bookstores I discovered in my internet travels?

Joyce
Serendipity House
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Amazon since I have a K1. Feedbooks for getting free Public Domain books.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
SmashWords is where I have bought the most. Followed by Amazon then B&N.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
At the moment, Baen Books followed by Sony, followed by Amazon. I have a Sony 505, an iPad and an iPhone. I do most of my reading now on the iPad. You have to strip the drm to by from Sony and Amazon, but if you can run a python script, it's fairly straight forward.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I've been buying e-books from both the Sony store and Kobo, depending a bit on their relative prices and availability of specific titles. Borders is supposed to be opening up an e-book store in June, and I'm hoping to be able to buy from them, as I've been a loyal Borders customer of dead tree books in the past. (Depends on their pricing and how/whether they want to control geographical restrictions...)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Most of my books come from Manybooks.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm getting them from everywhere with the luxury of so many apps. I love the freedom that my iPad gives. I never could dredge up the energy to get good at conversions. Now I don't have to.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I used to buy from Fictionwise, but they are pretty terrible now. I mostly buy from Kobo for the time being. Sometimes from Sony. Easy to get on the iPad from Kobo since they have an app. I also 'liberate' books from other sources and really can get anything on there if I want to. But I prefer to read on the Kindle so I am not too concerned with how to get books on the iPad
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for all your responses. So are you saying it doesn't matter which device you have? You can buy books from anywhere if you have an app for it?

Joyce
Serendipity House
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
anchorhead66
anchorhead66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I read most of my ebooks at home on my computer. My go to is Smashwords, but occasionally I will blow the dust off my kindle and get something from Amazon.
anchorhead66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post
Thanks for all your responses. So are you saying it doesn't matter which device you have? You can buy books from anywhere if you have an app for it?

Joyce
Serendipity House
It does matter which device you have. If you have an iPad, you can choose from lots of different apps. If you have a Sony Reader or Kindle, you are limited to the formats they support.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post

Joyce
Serendipity House
For ebook readers, it depends on the format. My Nook, and the Sony I used to have, both read the epub format, so they can read any book in that format, no matter where it was bought from. Stores will tell you what format you're buying, and will often give you a choice between formats, so you just have to make sure you're buying a format that your reader can read.

(The B&N store is the exception to this - its books can only be read on the Nook, not on any other reader that reads the epub format.)

If you're reading on a phone or an iPad, different stores will have apps that let you read their books. (I don't know if there's a way to read books from stores that don't offer apps.)
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Buy????

(Sorry, someone had to finally say this )

I've been getting stuff from Baen and Fictionwise. I realized that my library still exists there from when I was buying books there years ago for my eBookman, and I never read all of them on it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote