Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 7.0.3 released

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
- Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
- Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use
- Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
- Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
- Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
- Improves system stability when using iWork apps
- Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
- Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
- Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
- Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
- Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
- Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
- Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Reduce motion works so much better now.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Apps seem to open and close much quicker after this update.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
The annoying animations while opening apps and folders are gone now, yay! That's because I have the "reduce animations" option on in accessibility. When I deactivated it the animations came back.

Is that also what you were saying, Jessica ?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The annoying animations while opening apps and folders are gone now, yay! That's because I have the "reduce animations" option on in accessibility. When I deactivated it the animations came back.

Is that also what you were saying, Jessica ?
Yeah. I'm loving the fades.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah. I'm loving the fades.
Me too, they are much quicker and less annoying than the animations.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Also, I think the "phantom screen" effect might be gone. Some apps, when launched (or rather relaunched from background) had a tendency to show for a few seconds a screen that reflected the app's state, not as it was when closed, but a few seconds or minutes before. For example iCab would show the next to last web page instead of the latest. Not sure that description is very clear, but it was a bit unsettling.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Also, I think the "phantom screen" effect might be gone. Some apps, when launched (or rather relaunched from background) had a tendency to show for a few seconds a screen that reflected the app's state, not as it was when closed, but a few seconds or minutes before. For example iCab would show the next to last web page instead of the latest. Not sure that description is very clear, but it was a bit unsettling.
Well scratch that, the ghost page is still here. Also, since the upgrade I can't seen to access my gmail account via mail. Coincidence?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well scratch that, the ghost page is still here. Also, since the upgrade I can't seen to access my gmail account via mail. Coincidence?
When I upgraded my Mac Mini to Mavericks from Mountain Lion, it enable my Gmail account in the Mail app. Before upgrading I had the Gmail account disabled since I hadn't used it in a long time. I only enable my Gmail account on my Nexus 7.2. So Mavericks and iOS7 seem a bit strange with Gmail accounts. BTW, the Mail app on my Mac Mini was telling me it couldn't access Gmail, and that is how I discovered the upgrade had enabled it.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Good bye to the annoying animated icons. Thank you Jesus!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
When I upgraded my Mac Mini to Mavericks from Mountain Lion, it enable my Gmail account in the Mail app. Before upgrading I had the Gmail account disabled since I hadn't used it in a long time. I only enable my Gmail account on my Nexus 7.2. So Mavericks and iOS7 seem a bit strange with Gmail accounts. BTW, the Mail app on my Mac Mini was telling me it couldn't access Gmail, and that is how I discovered the upgrade had enabled it.
Thanks for the warning, I wasn't planning on upgrading to Mavericks just now, but I'll make sure that bug is fixed before I do.

Meanwhile, I have confirmed that the new iOS mail can't connect to Gmail. My iPad mini is still on 7.0.2 and has no problem accessing the server. This is very annoying because I don't know if Apple will be in a great hurry to fix that. After all, my iPhone stopped giving me notifications for gmail more than a year ago. I'll have to find another mail app, but so far everything I tried is crap, except the gmail app itself, but I still prefer iOS mail.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
@ FlorenceArt,

I use the gmail app and have had no problem with it on my ipad2 with 7.0.3. I did have it set to check manually, but to see if there was an issue with 7.0.3, I changed it to check every 15 minutes and then sent myself a test email from our computer. The iPad chimed a notification right away from the gmail app.

The only time I've ever had an issue with the gmail app not connecting to the server was after a password change.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks for the warning, I wasn't planning on upgrading to Mavericks just now, but I'll make sure that bug is fixed before I do.

Meanwhile, I have confirmed that the new iOS mail can't connect to Gmail. My iPad mini is still on 7.0.2 and has no problem accessing the server. This is very annoying because I don't know if Apple will be in a great hurry to fix that. After all, my iPhone stopped giving me notifications for gmail more than a year ago. I'll have to find another mail app, but so far everything I tried is crap, except the gmail app itself, but I still prefer iOS mail.
I stopped using Gmail except for Android because it is required. I got rid of all my Gmail contacts to make sure Google didn't use that info in ANY way. They are somewhat slimy at Google.

I just bought a Nexus 7.2 tablet to use with my camera. I set up the tablet a couple of days ago. Then yesterday I got a strange Mac OS X Mavericks pop up message on my Mac Mini. It asked if it was okay for Google Software Update.app to take control of my Mac Min! Holy poop, I've never seen any messages like that, and promptly told it no EFFING way! (See attached image.) I have no clue what this app does, but I will not allow it take control of my Mac. It was after this that I went into my Gmail and deleted all my contacts and existing emails. I've used the Apple cloud for a year now with my own GoDaddy IMAP email so I don't need Gmail except that it is required for Android.

So beware of Google and Gmail with Mavericks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google-control-dialog.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	114019  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-26-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
@ FlorenceArt,

I use the gmail app and have had no problem with it on my ipad2 with 7.0.3. I did have it set to check manually, but to see if there was an issue with 7.0.3, I changed it to check every 15 minutes and then sent myself a test email from our computer. The iPad chimed a notification right away from the gmail app.

The only time I've ever had an issue with the gmail app not connecting to the server was after a password change.
Hmm. Now Mail is working again (on my iPad mini that I updated this morning, and that wasn't working at first). Strange.

Quote:
I stopped using Gmail except for Android because it is required. I got rid of all my Gmail contacts to make sure Google didn't use that info in ANY way. They are somewhat slimy at Google.

I just bought a Nexus 7.2 tablet to use with my camera. I set up the tablet a couple of days ago. Then yesterday I got a strange Mac OS X Mavericks pop up message on my Mac Mini. It asked if it was okay for Google Software Update.app to take control of my Mac Min! Holy poop, I've never seen any messages like that, and promptly told it no EFFING way! (See attached image.) I have no clue what this app does, but I will not allow it take control of my Mac. It was after this that I went into my Gmail and deleted all my contacts and existing emails. I've used the Apple cloud for a year now with my own GoDaddy IMAP email so I don't need Gmail except that it is required for Android.

So beware of Google and Gmail with Mavericks.
I've been thinking of moving to another mail server too, maybe my own. Like many people I suppose, I've been getting a bit concerned about how much of my private data is on the cloud, and how much google especially has access to. But I'm not ready to change just now. So I hope mail will continue to work and I can keep using it with gmail. Because I've been reviewing other mail apps, and frankly they don't appeal much.

Funny how the iOS auto correct, which is so eager to capitalize iOS or Safari, doesn't do anything when I type google.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
...Then yesterday I got a strange Mac OS X Mavericks pop up message on my Mac Mini. It asked if it was okay for Google Software Update.app to take control of my Mac Min!
Wow, that would be troubling to see something like that, indeed. I googled "google software update.app take control of mac" and this is one link that came up:

http://superuser.com/questions/65701...-computer-what

I only own mobile Apple products, so I can't really speak to anything concerning Mac's specifically. My opinion, though...that any program or app would require 'control' of a computer in order to check for or install updates is disturbing, to say the least.

Quote:
I've been thinking of moving to another mail server too, maybe my own. Like many people I suppose, I've been getting a bit concerned about how much of my private data is on the cloud, and how much google especially has access to. But I'm not ready to change just now. So I hope mail will continue to work and I can keep using it with gmail. Because I've been reviewing other mail apps, and frankly they don't appeal much.
Well, the gmail app added another annoying feature which I just saw today. I found a spam ad disguised as an e-mail in the Promotions tab. You have to tap it to delete it, which means, you have to look at it. I guess this is Google's way of generating ad revenue via the Apple app, but I still don't like to see it.

I don't use the gmail app in my iPad mini or iPhone, just the iPad2. I have mail organized in folders in my gmail account, and if I move them in a gmail app, that doesn't sync over to the native Apple e-mail in the other 2 devices. The whole e-mail situation with my mobile devices is something I'm not entirely satisfied with yet but I am not sure what to do about it at this point. I also looked for apps at the app store and I'm not seeing anything of interest there.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote