Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
Joining the Kindle Crowd

Well, I just did the deed... Placed my order for the Kindle and hopped in the ever-expanding queue for this thing (I notice that the site now doesn't even mention the "after Dec. 24th" bit now, they've just switched to the more generic "out of stock").

This will be my first e-ink device and I'm pretty excited about it. The fact that I won't effectively have it until next year is actually fine, it gives me the chance to catch up on some pbooks that have stacked up. Because I know that as soon as the toy gets here... pbooks will just have to wait for a while.

I spent a lot of time both on this forum and elsewhere researching between the Kindle and the Sony. It actually was not a very easy decision, I kept going back and forth between the two. In the end, though, it came down to two things that gave the kindle the edge:

(1) the ability to search content. This is really key as I hope to be able to use it for reference-type books (computer books, cookbooks, Bible, etc.) and that is a key feature for making them more easily usable. (2) I just inherently trust Amazon more. As much as I think that Sony builds good hardware, I've seen them time and time again screw up software and format implementation. Granted that once you have the Reader it's yours to use how best you see fit, but I'm thinking more about the longer-term viability of their store and locked content. This is definitely a crap shoot, as Amazon is for the most part untested in these waters, but... at some point I had to make that choice for both of them and pick a side.

Overall, though, I'm just glad to finally be getting in to the dedicated ereader scene. I actually think my overall reading time will increase with the portability and space issues out of the way. I have a friend who is also trying to make the Kindle vs. Sony decision, so I will be interested to see which way he falls as well. Looks like the digital book world is starting to become a lot more mainstream.

David

Last edited by crionox; 11-28-2007 at 02:27 PM.
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I have the Sony Reader 500 and the Kindle. I think you'll be happy with your choice. Welcome to the e-ink world. Congrats!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
runciter
runciter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to Kindle. Looks like we went thru many of the same gyrations, but I pulled the trigger earlier I agree with everything you said. Let us know what decision your friend makes.
runciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I am so excited. I just got notice my Kindle shipped and is on its way. I ordered mine late on the Monday it was released and was told it wouldn't ship until Nov. 30 with a deliver date of Dec. 3rd. Thursday can't come quick enough :-)

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Mine's on the way, too. I keep hitting refresh on the tracking page. I'm such a dork.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Mine's on the way, too. I keep hitting refresh on the tracking page. I'm such a dork.
That's okay. You are among your own kind here. I myself called UPS at midnight and 8 am to get shipping updates for my Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
gregr209
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hee hee...me too! Bad thing is I know where I live UPS doesn't show up until late in the afternoon...so I know in the morning the tracker will say in route to my home but I know I won't get it until 4pm-ish. Oh well...at least I don't have to wait until next Monday as I was told.

I love being a dork :-)

Greg
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
crionox
Enthusiast

I wonder if they will actually get more stock in prior to their announced dates. They couldn't "promise" having them earlier, but I just wonder... I'm sure I still won't be able to see anything until after Christmas, but hey, I've got a whole month on my hands to engage in wild speculation.

David
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I doubt it. I think there is a good chance that they have sold out of their entire stock on hand.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
gregr209
Enthusiast

I had a feeling that the second shipment group might come a bit earlier then stated...I think there is maybe another 3rd and 4th shipment due soon and then I have a feel they are truly out of stock for awhile.

It will be interesting.

Greg
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Book_Czar
Babe in the Woods
Book_Czar began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well I am new to ebooks and I just jumped in by buying a Kindle.
Book_Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
crionox
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book_Czar View Post
Welcome to the back of the line!

David
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book_Czar View Post
Welcome aboard!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
I did a little dance when I read "Out for delivery."
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I did a little dance when I read "Out for delivery."
I'm actually considering working from home tomorrow so I can do my little dance right when it arrives.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote