Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Goodreads giveaways - Am I doing something wrong?

I regularly use sites like NetGalley, Library Thing and Goodreads to obtain review copies for my blog. However even after entering 40 giveaways I have not won any. I don't have this issue on either of the giveaways run at Library Thing and have never been rejected at NetGalley. What am I doing wrong?!

What do Goodreads look for? The information on the sidebar seems more humorous than helpful. It is entirely random?

I'm just a bit feed up of browsing through for books that look interesting and taking the time to apply, to then never get anywhere.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
I also have much better luck on LibraryThing than Goodreads even though I enter less giveaways. GR has an algorithm that looks at many factors to determines the winner similar to LT, but I think LT's algorithm is much better...at least for me it is. I suspect there is more emphasis on randomness on the GR giveaway, while the LT algorithm focuses more on determining the best book to reviewer match.

I've been getting more than I can handle lately from LT's giveaways (both the early reviewers and the member giveaways) so I don't worry too much about the GR giveaways. I entered a bunch at LT thinking I'd never win anyway and ended up winning several...ack!
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I think there's just WAY more people entering the GR giveaways compared to LT's giveaways. On LT maybe a max of 500 people will enter a contest for the same book, while on GR it's more like 1000+.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Apparently on Goodreads if you win a book, and then write a review in a timely manner, you are more likely to win more giveaways in the future. I entered about 5 giveaways when I first joined, won one, never reviewed the book, and I haven't won another since.

I guess this doesn't help you if you never won ANY, though.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to keep hoping.
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The amount of entries can lessen the odds. If there are only 1 or 2 copies offered, odds aren't good with 2000 entries.

I've noticed in the last few hours remaining for each giveaway the number of people entering can jump suddenly. Like an ebay auction.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Danielle
Enthusiast
Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.Danielle can eat soup with a fork.

Device: sony 950, eReader from eBookwise.com (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to keep hoping.
Don't feel so bad, I've never won anything from Goodreads either but yet I know someone who has won a 7 of there contests.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I've never even figured out where the giveaways are on goodreads. I think I'm not a good goodreads user....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Why bother with Goodreads' contests? If you're reviewing books for your blog, it seems to me you could simply send the author a note requesting a free review copy. Most authors are scrambling for any kind of attention and would, I suspect, happily send you a copy.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
The GoodReads criteria (if they have any) strike me as terribly arbitrary. I have 500 reviews on their site, 900+ on Amazon, and a personal review blog, and I've won... 2 giveaways. Out of entering hundreds.

With NetGalley, they seem to have an unlimited number of licenses to give out. With GoodReads, there's usually not even a dozen copies. And a lot of them seem like "vendor trash", by which I mean ARCs well after the book has already been released. Now, I don't mind getting an ARC one tiny bit, BUT it does start to seem like they're using GoodReads as a recycling program.

Bottom line, I wouldn't take the rejection personally -- I think it's fairly random.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
Tome Keeper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
Why bother with Goodreads' contests? If you're reviewing books for your blog, it seems to me you could simply send the author a note requesting a free review copy. Most authors are scrambling for any kind of attention and would, I suspect, happily send you a copy.
Finding the authors is one thing, although I suppose I could use Goodreads for that.

Mostly because it's easier and quicker to use a giveaway rather than send x number of e-mails, and I also would feel very pressured to review very quickly if I had requested the book for review. By using an intermediate I feel less pressurised.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Tome Keeper
Addict

I wonder if the goodreads thingamajig takes into account complaining on Mobile Read? Just got my first book from goodreads!