Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Question If Someone Gave You A Reader For Free...

...which one would you want?

I've got my Aluratek Libre, and I'm totally happy with it, but the "Iwanna" bug is beginning to nip me - as in "I wanna 'nother one of these things".

Since I already have a reader with an LCD screen, I would probably want one that used e-ink. I think that I'd like one that handled the .LIT format natively, and I probably would want one with a screen size larger than 5". WiFi capability might be cool since it could be used in free WiFi spots; I wouldn't want anything that I'd need a data plan for.

I haven't narrowed my requirement down further than that yet, but what about the rest of you? Is there a reader out there that falls into your "must-have" category, despite already having one (or more) reader(s) already?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
If you checkout the matrix (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix) currently on that list only the Jinke line of ereaders support LIT (like the Astak EZReader and Astak Pocket Pro).

I currently have an Astak Pocket Pro and love it. I did consider a Jetbook (or Jetbook Lite, either one) so I could have a LCD ereader as well and have the best of both worlds. That was until I questioned the huge price disparity between US and Australian customers (but that is my issue).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Xanthe, you've asked two very different questions - What would you choose if someone gave you whatever you wanted for free?, and What is on your must-have list?

There is nothing on my must-have list, as I am content for now with my jetBook Lite. But for a free gift, I think I would like to try the Kindle DX with its many features.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow... that's a tough one.

Considering I already have a Kindle and it does all I need for recreational reading.. I would want an eDGe for professional reading/research work/note taking in meetings, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've got my Aluratek Libre, and I'm totally happy with it, but the "Iwanna" bug is beginning to nip me - as in "I wanna 'nother one of these things".
I’ve been through all this before, with musical instruments, so I no longer try and wrap it up with fantasies about ‘free gifts’ in order to justify owning more than I actually strictly ‘need’.

Just re-badge yourself as a Collector or Enthusiast and give yourself permission to buy more than one. Reassure yourself that you’re ‘stimulating the economy’ and helping protect some dude’s job somewhere too.... Think of all those worthy but struggling technologies that could fold up if you don’t support them by buying their gear.... Guilt re-packaging seems to be working for me anyway.

So I fully expect to keep saving and buying several new reading devices yet - whilst recycling some of the older ones to technologically deprived friends and acquaintances.

Currently, I'm thoughtfully eyeing off iRex iliad, Kindle DX, Asus T91MT netbook, and of course iPad, Courier etc. Who knows which if any I’ll buy, but I have the strong feeling that the fun’s just beginning.

Last edited by ChrisC333; 03-21-2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Well, if someone was going to gift me with a device, I'd kindly ask that it be the Microsoft Courier, please. Other than that, what I have listed under "Reader:" there does me just fine.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would have been awfully pleased if someone had given me a Kindle... Unfortunately, in my situation, I have to buy all my gifts myself -- and I take full advantage of that...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've found my gift: the Asus DR-950. Manga and comics finally could be read as they shall ^^
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I would have to go with the Entourage Edge or the Que. Second choices would be the Kindle DX, one of the Astak readers, or the Pocketbook models (5 inch or the upcoming 9 inch would be great).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
We were sitting at the kitchen table this morning, and I was browsing a book I had recently bought (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8.../Ellen-Brown/?).

And we got talking about recipes on an ebook reader. Would be perfect! So, that'll be our next ereader. It will stay in the kitchen. It will need a larger screen, and touch as well (stylus, not finger).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, that'll be our next ereader. It will stay in the kitchen.
Sweetpea, it's my understanding that for now it doesn't take much water/liquid to kill an eBook reader. Wouldn't a device have to be waterproof for it to be safe in a kitchen?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Xanthe, you've asked two very different questions - What would you choose if someone gave you whatever you wanted for free?, and What is on your must-have list?

There is nothing on my must-have list, as I am content for now with my jetBook Lite. But for a free gift, I think I would like to try the Kindle DX with its many features.
Yes, I realized that my particular answer didn't answer the question I was asking, but that's only because I'm new to the current crop of ereaders and am still researching them. I'm the only person I know who actually has one, so I don't have any hands-on experience with ereaders other than the Libre.

I just figured that those of you who have been around-the-block, so to speak, would have a better idea of what you craved and would have a particular ereader in mind.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
Reassure yourself that you’re ‘stimulating the economy’ and helping protect some dude’s job somewhere too.... Think of all those worthy but struggling technologies that could fold up if you don’t support them by buying their gear....
I've used that argument all my life to justify my purchases - lol.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've used that argument all my life to justify my purchases - lol.
lol me too
Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Yes, I realized that my particular answer didn't answer the question I was asking, but that's only because I'm new to the current crop of ereaders and am still researching them. I'm the only person I know who actually has one, so I don't have any hands-on experience with ereaders other than the Libre.

I just figured that those of you who have been around-the-block, so to speak, would have a better idea of what you craved and would have a particular ereader in mind.
What are you looking for in your next ereader? Do you have a particular size, screen, etc. in mind?