Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
[*] there's not a way to disable annoying and useless achievements... even if I must say they appears for few seconds
Go into your settings, and under "Reading Life" you can turn these off.

Quote:
[*] there's no linux support, that's strange since Mac OS X is supported[*] you must install the software also on pc to install / update it on Kobo
There is unofficial linux support. If you search the Kobo forum here you can find the details. I'm not what readers support Linux.
As long as you have Wifi, you don't need to use your computer to register/install or update anything on the Kobo Glo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
  1. you must install the software also on pc to install / update it on Kobo
You can do the setup and all later changes via WiFi.
Quote:
I also noticed that I have no preinstalled books and there's few free e-books. Instead Kindle is integrated with a bookstore with a lot of free e-books in my country. Anyway I think this is a problem related to the bookstore.
Kobo have a lot of free books in their shop. There is a link near the top of their web page. But, there isn't an obvious way to find them using the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #34
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
searching books is extremely difficult
Can I ask what trouble you're having with the Search function? It works perfectly for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #35
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@robko: thank you, I missed that setting I'll search for linux support

@davidfor: I disabled wifi on my router since I don't need it... I suscribed to the thread about kobo firmwares, if there will be an update I'll do it manually.
I know that on the site there's a lot of free books, but not in my language. Furthermore for what I know some free books should be preinstalled. Anyway I don't care, I have more trouble with first group of problems I reported.

@meeera: it doesn't offer you search filters, like language and free books.

I want also to add that you must wait 1 - 1.5 seconds before some operations will be performed, like accessing to dictionary and turn off-on the device. It should be nice if those delays could be personalized, since they are too long for me.
Furthermore an app that let you write a text file it will be useful nd simple to add IMHO ^^

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-12-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@meeera: it doesn't offer you search filters, like language and free books.
Ah, ok! "Extremely difficult" didn't say that to me. You're wanting a customisable Advanced search function.

Quote:
I want also to add that you must wait 1 - 1.5 seconds before some operations will be performed, like accessing to dictionary and turn off-on the device. It should be nice if those delays could be personalized, since they are too long for me.
I'm not quite sure how much they could decrease the delay that occurs before dictionary access. There needs to be a clear differentiation between a hold-for-definition and a tap-to-turn-page.

I suggest sleeping the device, not turning it off, if you want more rapid access.

Last edited by meeera; 04-12-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not quite sure how much they could decrease the delay that occurs before dictionary access. There needs to be a clear differentiation between a hold-for-definition and a tap-to-turn-page.
Yes, it's about a second on the Kindle, too. As you say, you don't want to accidentally trigger text selection or dictionary lookup (both of which are comparatively rare operations) on a page-turn tap.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #38
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Well this is obvious... it does not means you can't set a different delay time the device must wait. See for example double click speed setting for mouses.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well this is obvious... it does not means you can't set a different delay time the device must wait. See for example double click speed setting for mouses.
Sure, but... it's no more than two seconds, for me at least. Is it a much longer delay for you? If so perhaps you need to reset or return your device. I can't imagine looking up enough words that two seconds makes even a slightly irritating difference, let alone a deal-breaking one, but your mileage may vary!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #40
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

We don't have the same opinion, and that's why settings were invented...

Tags
built-in light, formats, kindle, kobo