Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
PrinceNothing
PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle Somethingorother
Flashing Demo Units of Kindle DX and Kindle (Ink?)

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums. I'm a dumpster diver and on one of my trips I fished out two Kindle units. I was ecstatic. But now I'm hoping to turn these demo units into fully functioning units. Can somebody point me in the right direction to getting these working?

The first one is a Kindle "6 display which i guess is called "Ink" and the other one is clearly labeled on the box as DX. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I'm not particularly versed in this sort of thing, so explaining it as if to a child would probably be best. Hopefully it's just stuff to copy paste into cmd but I really have no idea what to expect.

Last edited by PrinceNothing; 12-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.
PrinceNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceNothing View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums. I'm a dumpster diver and on one of my trips I fished out two Kindle units. I was ecstatic. But now I'm hoping to turn these demo units into fully functioning units. Can somebody point me in the right direction to getting these working?

The first one is a Kindle "6 display which i guess is called "Ink" and the other one is clearly labeled on the box as DX. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I'm not particularly versed in this sort of thing, so explaining it as if to a child would probably be best. Hopefully it's just stuff to copy paste into cmd but I really have no idea what to expect.
Identify your model(s):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Treat them as being "bricked" and follow the de-bricking guide in the top stick for the model.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
PrinceNothing
PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.PrinceNothing knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Identify your model(s):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Treat them as being "bricked" and follow the de-bricking guide in the top stick for the model.
Edit: Nevermind. I couldn't find some files but I found mirrors in an archive. I should be using 4.0 kernels with a 4.0 I assume? The guide I'm using is the noobs guide and they de-brick a Kindle Touch with 5.0 kernels

Update: Okay so I have all the files and 4.0 kernels and junk. Now in the guide it says that the kindle needs to be recognized as a human interface device or whatever. Now when I plugged the kindle in it automatically recognized it as a portable device and installed driver software. I kept resetting it trying to get it to recognize it properly but it stayed as a portable device. I decided to uninstall the driver software in hopes to get it re-recognized properly. But now it won't acknowledge the kindle at all. Neither as a device nor a human interface device or whatever. So I cannot move on to mfgtool yet. Can anyone help?

P.S. Since it probably matters. I'm running on Windows 7

Last edited by PrinceNothing; 12-09-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
are these 4's then? or what?

more details.

The DX may need a cable (serial) -
the 4 - sigh it would be a 4 - hmm... Honestly a 4? I have never done. Geekmaster has done a few 4's though. he probably has a tip or too.

HTH
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
are these 4's then? or what?
The O.P, evidently went off and identified his Kindle models.
But for some reason did not share that information with us.

Must think we can read over his shoulder or something.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The O.P, evidently went off and identified his Kindle models.
But for some reason did not share that information with us.

Must think we can read over his shoulder or something.
His profile shows his device as a "kindle something or other". If he plans to flash 4.0 firmware as his edit info shows, it must be a K4.

From what little information we have, he may have a discharged battery issue...

For a demo K4, he should just use MfgTool to boot to diags. Then use diags SSH and dd to flash main kernel and partition.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

For the DX (if it is actually a DX) he will need links to the DX Demo threads.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
PrinceNothing

Hi everyone! I'm back. Sorry for not putting the models up. The one I am currently working with is B00E Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011). The One waiting in the other box is B009 Kindle DX Graphite. Like I mentioned, I got stuck early in the tutorial trying to get my computer to recognize the Kindle as a USB/HID to run through mfgtool.

Also, @geekmaster: There is no discharged battery issue. The Kindle comes on just fine. I need to flash it because its a demo version and I want to make it into a proper kindle.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm back. Sorry for not putting the models up. The one I am currently working with is B00E Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (2011). The One waiting in the other box is B009 Kindle DX Graphite. Like I mentioned, I got stuck early in the tutorial trying to get my computer to recognize the Kindle as a USB/HID to run through mfgtool.
You did use the "magic key" to restart it into USB downloader, right? IIRC, it is the 5-way "right" button (or was it the "down" one?).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
PrinceNothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You did use the "magic key" to restart it into USB downloader, right? IIRC, it is the 5-way "right" button (or was it the "down" one?).
There was no mention of a "magic key" in the guide I'm using so I don't believe so.

----Unless you are talking about the reset. I hold the power till it powers off, then I hold the right "home button" and release the power button. It says it should be recognized after that but its not.

Last edited by PrinceNothing; 12-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There was no mention of a "magic key" in the guide I'm using so I don't believe so.

----Unless you are talking about the reset. I hold the power till it powers off, then I hold the right "home button" and release the power button. It says it should be recognized after that but its not.
The "magic key" is REQUIRED to get into USB Downloader mode. If you found a debricking guide that fails to mention that, you need a different guide. On the K4, it is the 5-way DOWN arrow.

We do not know the magic key for the DX, so debricking a DX has usually been done using the serial port.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
PrinceNothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The "magic key" is REQUIRED to get into USB Downloader mode. If you found a debricking guide that fails to mention that, you need a different guide. On the K4, it is the 5-way DOWN arrow.

We do not know the magic key for the DX, so debricking a DX has usually been done using the serial port.
Ah, I was using the home button. That makes sense they would be different because the guide is using a Kindle touch. I got through a few more steps since it recognized it now and I threw fastboot on it. Had a problem but I think its fixed now so I'm still moving along. Just finished step 7 on the guide. I'll keep everyone updated as I go. Thanks for being so helpful

Update: Okay so I had to backtrack a little. I'm stuck at the point where I need to install the driver because I could not flash the device and figured I did something wrong. It recognizes it as a kindle (instead of a kindle -fastboot like in the guide) and I can't update the driver software. I'm also not sure what the guide is telling me to give it as driver software. The fastboot.inf or libusb0.sys? I think its the fastboot but when I tried giving it fastboot as a driver it would tell me that it found the driver but could not find the files and would not install it. Giving it libusb0 just outright would say that it couldnt find the driver. So what should I be doing here exactly? Could somebody clear it up?

Here's an image of my current situation. I think it won't let me flash it because its identified as kindle and not kindle - fastboot

http://i.imgur.com/NSVwx.png

Guide Description
--------------------------
Soon, you’ll see your Kindle detected as a new device.
Your PC shouldn’t be able to find any driver, so let’s help it: point the driver path where you stored Kindle-Fastboot.inf and let the PC load the driver.
I had another problem while in this process: my PC lacked of libusb0.sys and that’s why I added the link for libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0. You can point your PC to it and you’re done!

Last edited by PrinceNothing; 12-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi mate. I never used that yet.

The error kinda looks like it can't actually "find" the image?

could that be the case? Like I say - haven't used it - total guess...

I actually can barely remember windows command line conventions (YAY!) but maybe a ./thing.img might not hurt? and check that the image file is actually stored in the right (relative) place?

Honestly - sorry - out of ideas.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
The error kinda looks like it can't actually "find" the image?

could that be the case? Like I say - haven't used it - total guess...
Twobob is correct. The screenshot shows a filename WITHOUT the "_ssh"] in the folder, which does not match the filename on his fastboot command line. That explains the error message. Also, it helps a LOT if you configure Windows to NOT hide file extensions.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
PrinceNothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Twobob is correct. The screenshot shows a filename WITHOUT the "_ssh"] in the folder, which does not match the filename on his fastboot command line. That explains the error message. Also, it helps a LOT if you configure Windows to NOT hide file extensions.
Unhiding file extensions certainly helped. I flew through a good chunk of the instructions after that was cleared up. I got stuck again but I think I just figured it out. I'm almost there!

Update: I finished up. I now have a fully functioning Kindle. Thank you all so much for your help! This is a very kind community.

Last edited by PrinceNothing; 12-10-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Tags
demo, kindle, reset