Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #46
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Apple announced this event to the press with the tag line "It's Been Way Too Long."

So what has been "long" between updates? I would bet on the Apple TV and/or the iTouch.
This made the commentators go crazy. My favorite comment is this one:

Quote:
Apple event invite: “It’s been way too long”

CLEARLY THEY ARE BRINGING BACK SHORTER IPHONES

— Kyle S. (@optshiftk) October 8, 2014
From the Huff Post article here.

I wouldn't mind a new MacBook Pro myself. Was planning to get a new one this year, but backed off when I found out that the RAM was not upgradable. Maybe they'll fix that in the next generation.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Will it have Chinese overlay?
Yep they really mucked it up badly last time with the Chinese overlay, no video at times, delayed video, and constant freeze ups! No big deal to me as that was the iPhone release and I'm more interested in the iPads and Macs. I sure hope they get it right this time though.
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I wouldn't mind a new MacBook Pro myself. Was planning to get a new one this year, but backed off when I found out that the RAM was not upgradable. Maybe they'll fix that in the next generation.
I doubt it. Apple doesn't like us messing around inside the Mac. This was a point of contention between the hacker Wozniak and the businessman Jobs. Woz loved expansion bays, hence the Apple II line with expansion bays. Jobs just wanted to tell us what we wanted, hence all the crappy solder on the MB holding down the RAM, processor, etc. and few if any expansion bays. If those GD idiots at Apple actually worked with computers they would understand the need for a mid-level desktop with expansion capabilities, and laptops that you can add more RAM. I went with the Mac Mini because even as limited as it is, it has more expansion capability than most Macs. For $100 I bought third party RAM and increased the Mini from 4GB to 16GB.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-14-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #49
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I doubt it. Apple doesn't like us messing around inside the Mac. This was a point of contention between the hacker Wozniak and the businessman Jobs. Woz loved expansion bays, hence the Apple II line with expansion bays. Jobs just wanted to tell us what we wanted, hence all the crappy solder on the MB holding down the RAM, processor, etc. and few if any expansion bays. If those GD idiots at Apple actually worked with computers they would understand the need for a mid-level desktop with expansion capabilities, and laptops that you can add more RAM. I went with the Mac Mini because even as limited as it is, it has more expansion capability than most Macs. For $100 I bought third party RAM and increased the Mini from 4GB to 16GB.
Every Mac I have ever bought since the 1990s had upgradeable RAM. In the Pro range at least that has been the rule, and the exception is the few years where they weren't.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #50
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
They stopped with the Retina MacBook Pros. I think it's still doable in the base non-Retina.

By the time I need upgrades, I also need a new screen and keyboard though. I've only had a 2006 MacBook Pro and a 2011 MacBook Pro.

But yeah, I will probably move towards the Mac Mini because I need the ability to upgrade stuff. Heck, I still need a HDD over a SSD. It's getting really complicated! Probably will have to live with my clamshell mode setup for another year.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #51
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Apple "accidentally" reveals iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6...-2-ipad-mini-3
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Apple "accidentally" reveals iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6...-2-ipad-mini-3
...you ruined it for me. Now I won't be surprised when they announce them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #53
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...you ruined it for me. Now I won't be surprised when they announce them.
Pfft. It's going to be fun anyway. Never remember what is introduced at these keynotes, but always remember what happens.

Plus, there's going to be more. Like Yosemite is probably coming out today! And probably refreshed iLife apps, and other stuff.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #54
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
An iphone 6+ sized ipod touch would be nice. That would be a nice night time reader.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The current iPod touch is really dated. An A5 processor with only 512MB RAM. It needs to be bumped up to at least the A7 w/ M7 co and 1GB RAM. Give it the same display as the iPh 6 and price it as follows: 16GB=$199 / 64GB=$299 / 128GB= $399.
Those prices are completely unrealistic for a device with the same screen as the iPhone 6. Consider that an iPod is essentially an iPhone without the 4G radio transmitter. How much do you suppose that transmitter costs?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #56
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Those prices are completely unrealistic for a device with the same screen as the iPhone 6. Consider that an iPod is essentially an iPhone without the 4G radio transmitter. How much do you suppose that transmitter costs?
But Harry, it will have the Apple logo on the back. That bumps the price by at least $99.99 and if it's the size of the iPhone 6+ I will probably buy one.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #57
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Read and agreed with this this morning.

Quote:
Apple’s iPad Problem: Does Anyone Really Need an Expensive Tablet?

...the iPad’s biggest problem is that it does not serve a distinct purpose in a world full of lots of other screens. I know many people who love their iPads, but I’ve heard from readers and friends who say their iPads just aren’t as useful as other devices they carry.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...pricey-tablet/
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #58
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The transmitter doesn't cost much (in some instances I'm given to understand it's on the same chip as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) --- the difference is Apple hasn't found someone to subsidize the iPod Touch as the iPhones are.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The transmitter doesn't cost much (in some instances I'm given to understand it's on the same chip as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) --- the difference is Apple hasn't found someone to subsidize the iPod Touch as the iPhones are.
That's precisely my point, and why I think that TM's suggested prices for the price of an iPod Touch based on the iPhone 6 are totally unrealistic (ie far too low).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #60
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
Read and agreed with this this morning.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...pricey-tablet/
Yet, they remain the number 1 seller in the tablet market space.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote