Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by [*
Not quite as attractive as the Kindle and the Reader
Was this review written by a blind man ? The Kindle is plug ugly !
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy still View Post
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful.

John Constable
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful.

John Constable
Constable obviously never painted a Kindle.
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
John Constable
Quote:
Constable obviously never painted a Kindle.
We need "fortunes" for the iliad, and this quote and reply gets my vote for the first ebook fortune.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
They think the Kindle looks better than the iLiad? What's wrong with these people, seriously...
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
dodowolf
dodowolf began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Nothing entirely wrong with them, it's just Jeff might have paid.
dodowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
What kind of light would make the Kindle look good? The mind boggles. Perhaps a coal mine at midnight?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
What kind of light would make the Kindle look good? The mind boggles. Perhaps a coal mine at midnight?
The light of the dark maybe?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moving beyond ugly... the Iliad has a lot of things to like. A friend of mine showed me his, and I could surely stand using a device like this, but for two things: Price, which I agree is daunting; and lack of color.

Heck, when for $700, I can buy a new laptop or small UMPC and basically duplicate and surpass Iliad's functions (and I don't have issues reading on LCD screens as some people do), I just can't see the value in the Iliad.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #11
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Moving beyond ugly... the Iliad has a lot of things to like. A friend of mine showed me his, and I could surely stand using a device like this, but for two things: Price, which I agree is daunting; and lack of color.

Heck, when for $700, I can buy a new laptop or small UMPC and basically duplicate and surpass Iliad's functions (and I don't have issues reading on LCD screens as some people do), I just can't see the value in the Iliad.
Well, if you don't have a problem with reading on LCD screens, then the value of the Iliad is lost on you. Its the epaper screen which you're mostly paying for. Personally, I've been reading a lot on my Palm, and I'm finding I'm getting a lot less eye-strain since I got my Iliad. Being an easily distracted person, I also find that I'm getting more reading done, since I'm not tempted to check my emails, or browse the web quite so often :-) Lack of colour doesn't bother me, since none of the books I've read on it would have been in colour anyway (apart from the cover, which you should never judge a book by, so they say).

Ebook readers are not really about having lots of functions, they're about reading books, in the same way that TVs are about watching TV. I mean, I've got a Swiss Army Knife, which does all sorts of things, but I don't eat my dinner with it
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I could never have paid full price for my iLiad, but I bought mine used. It's a huge help to me in most of my graduate classes, which require heavy reading of journal articles. I love being able to have all the articles on my iLiad, including markups. (Page turning speed is still an issue.)

I don't think the Kindle is that ugly, but I can't see anyone complaining about the looks of the iLiad. What did they want, speckle-metallic paint with racing stripes?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Of course not!

Carbon fiber with 3-M reflective piping and LED marker lights will do nicely, thank you.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I don't think the Kindle is that ugly, but I can't see anyone complaining about the looks of the iLiad. What did they want, speckle-metallic paint with racing stripes?
I think that the iLiad looks more "industrial" than your average consumer device. It's not quite as polished and shiny as people are used to... I personally like the look.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Do you actually own one? I bought the Kindle because of its features, but I was worried because it didn't look very attractive in the pics. When I got it I was very happy with the aesthetics. It is actually a beautiful device and the material feels very good in your hands.
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote