Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #106
JLuecking
JLuecking began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
My way to handle this bug was to long press onto the blank page. Then a dictionary entry comes up, the page is still blank, only the dictionary entry can be seen. I press onto the bottom right corner of the display, where you normally press the x to close the dictionary and then the page shows up.

I will stick with 2.6.1 for the time being, I am quite happy with this and the way the footer is formatted by the patch.

Joachim
JLuecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #107
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I noticed the blank page issue too. I fooled around with the line height adjustments of the patch. The blank page issue only seems only to happen at small line heights: 1.2 (1.225?*) and lower. When I set the lowest line height to 1.25 it was gone. I was able to read at small font sizes. I still can be a combination of small line heights and small font sizes. Do some testing and share your experiences.

* My guess, and guess only, that is why Kobo set the lowest line height to 1.225.
I also noticed this issue, but with sideloaded fonts.
LE: and only with kepub files

Last edited by babadockia; 08-10-2013 at 01:12 AM.
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #108
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can metazoa's hack reduce the header?

Nice work, btw. Loving it.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #109
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
Can metazoa's hack reduce the header?
If you're using fw2.8.1 the header has already been reduced to almost nothing if you are reading standard epubs. I believe kepubs still have the header containing the book title.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #110
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I see. I'm using calibre converted kepubs. Time to try normal epubs.

Thanks!
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #111
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I want to try metazoa's patch on my Aura with 2.8.1: I want a reduced bottom margin but still keep the page numbers (I don't think they are displayed anywhere else). Does anyone know what the correct patch bytes are?

Thanks
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #112
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I want to try metazoa's patch on my Aura with 2.8.1: I want a reduced bottom margin but still keep the page numbers (I don't think they are displayed anywhere else). Does anyone know what the correct patch bytes are?
Looking at DNSB's post here, it appears as if the page numbers are still displayed. I didn't enable this option myself so I don't have any more info.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #113
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have now tried metazoa's patch...on the Aura the page numbers are still there, but they are microscopic and impossible for me to read. It would be nice to have them a bit bigger so they are readable.

I also could not get TypeGenius to work on custom fonts. The Advanced option is there, but when I apply changes to the weight, I can't see any differences in the font's appearance. Not so bothered about that...

The changes to the line-height are great though!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #114
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also could not get TypeGenius to work on custom fonts. The Advanced option is there, but when I apply changes to the weight, I can't see any differences in the font's appearance.
I had that happen to me with one font, but the rest have worked OK. It was an otf font. I fixed it by converting to a ttf. I don't know why this worked though. It was a lucky accident on my part
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #115
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I had that happen to me with one font, but the rest have worked OK. It was an otf font. I fixed it by converting to a ttf. I don't know why this worked though. It was a lucky accident on my part
I also had some problems but after a power cycle it worked.
Reinstall the full 2.8.1. firmware on top of the existing 2.8.1. firmware. This doesn't affect your personal preferences or library. When done, generate and install a new patch file.

Last edited by Anak; 08-11-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #116
JLuecking
JLuecking began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
@jackie_w
Font weight only works for ttf. Try to convert your otf to ttf.

Joachim
JLuecking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #117
ShellShock
Wizard

Power cycling fixed the font weight problem for me. This really is an excellent mod. Why couldn't Kobo gives us these basic options, instead. of faffing around with redesigning the web site or all the social media stuff which I will never use?

Last edited by ShellShock; 08-11-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #118
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Power cycling fixed the font weight problem for me. This really is an excellent mod. Why couldn't Kobo gives us these basic options, instead. of faffing around with redesigning the web site or all the social media stuff which I will never use?
As far as the font configuration, I assume that it's due to licensing issues that the advanced options are only available for the supplied fonts. The rest are things that can technically already be fixed in ePub CSS (which is a pain). The only unique thing is the H/F hack, but that is really a niche audience who would care that much.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #119
ShellShock
Wizard

Sure; don't know what you mean by H/F hack though.

Reducing the height of the bottom bar can't be done by CSS, so that makes this mod really useful.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #120
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Sure; don't know what you mean by H/F hack though.

Reducing the height of the bottom bar can't be done by CSS, so that makes this mod really useful.
I agree, what if Kobo adds something like this to the configuration file or even better make it accessable through the GUI (there a numerous other basic settings that are still not accessable through the GUI.)

Code:
readingHeaderHeight= 
readingHeaderFontSize=

readingFooterHeight= 
readingFooterFontSize=
Or
Code:
readingFullScreen=true/false
To bypass header and footer settings and hide the header and footer completely.

I wish that future e-readers have a new, seperate firmware version from the existing models (including Aura HD, as this is a limited edition reader). The new reader will probably replace existing the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and make them EOL.
Why a new firmware
  • features/settings should be designed/implemented with flexibility in mind.
  • features/settings should be optional (hide). Kobos default can be on or visible.
  • features/settings should be adjustable by the user through the GUI and/or configuration file.
  • use the full screen (resolution) of a reading device (meaning no hardcoded, non-adjustable margins. Kobos default margins settings can be different, as long as they are not hardcoded)

For me, these basic rules should apply to (at least) the reading mode of the device. How Kobo implements other non-reading features is of lesser concern to me.

Last edited by Anak; 08-12-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote