Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Are your personal docs disappearing? A cautionary tale.

From the Amazon boards:

Quote:
A cautionary tale:

my personal docs kept getting deleted from K2 because there is a 10 cent charge and the credit card that my default 'one click payment' tried to use was a card that was invalid and no longer in use. My docs would get sent to K2, sit a while until amazon tried to get paid the dime for each. When the $ wasn't forthcoming Amazon would expunge the files somehow from my Kindle. I registered my valid card and the personal docs remain om my kindle now.

Jerry
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
So, the guy tried to send documents to his Kindle wirelessly with an invalid credit card and Amazon deep 6'd his documents?

I don't get what the big deal is.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's not a big deal; it's just "Hey, if your personal files are disappearing, you probably have a bum credit card, which is probably not the first thing you thought of checking."
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Well I think it is interesting and potentially a big deal. I have no beef with Amazon's ability to disallow document transfer or book purchase if you don't can't pay agreed to charges.

However, it is a bit spooky if Amazon can/will reach into your Kindle and delete documents on the Kindle.

First, let review a related issue: Many organizations have sought to control the content of the internet through the gatekeepers. They have looked for ISPs and web sites to censor and monitor user activity. Large web companies have consistently fought this. It may be possible to review every user post, but it would be costly and would interrupt the free flow of the internet.

Why do I bring this up? Well, we can pretend that Amazon has no intent to abuse this capability, and will have no intent to do so in the future. However, once the capability is known, it may become a target by others. Let's say I am a large publisher who thinks that some of my books have been pirated. I sue Amazon to look for pirated books and to delete those they find.

This scenario may bother you or it may not -- after all if you have no pirated books you are not at risk. However, it is just one scenario where outsiders may be trying to peek into your ebook reader and controlling what is on it. I am sure you can think of other scenarios that would concern you.

I'm not sure I want an outsider (Amazon) to have the ability to reach into my reader, to see what I have (or even how I am using my reader), and to either just report back or to actually delete/take action on my reader.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
If you think that's weird, consider the fact that all of your Kindle notes and bookmarks get saved onto Amazon's servers... Go to http://kindle.amazon.com/ and log in....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm not sure I want an outsider (Amazon) to have the ability to reach into my reader, to see what I have (or even how I am using my reader), and to either just report back or to actually delete/take action on my reader.

I agree, it's no one's business what I have on my reader, particularly not a corporation.

yet another reason to turn off Whispernet.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I agree, it's no one's business what I have on my reader, particularly not a corporation.

yet another reason to turn off Whispernet.
If you're going to turn of Whispernet, then the issue of Amazon deleting documents sent to you by Whispernet is of no concern to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
This does raise an interesting question, though: could you send a document with a bum credit card, then turn off Whispernet as soon as it arrives, thus preventing Amazon from taking the document back?

Of course, I'm not suggesting that anyone actually DO this, it's just curious. I assume that if you turn Whispernet off, it STAYS off... right?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
This does raise an interesting question, though: could you send a document with a bum credit card, then turn off Whispernet as soon as it arrives, thus preventing Amazon from taking the document back?

Of course, I'm not suggesting that anyone actually DO this, it's just curious. I assume that if you turn Whispernet off, it STAYS off... right?
Technically that's true, but the next time you turn on the whispernet, Your Kindle syncs, so there goes your document!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that they are not "looking what's on your Kindle". It's more likely that each document sent by Whispernet is "tagged" with some ID code, and they are simply sending the Kindle as "delete document ID xxx" type command.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I agree, it's no one's business what I have on my reader, particularly not a corporation. yet another reason to turn off Whispernet.
Yet another reason not to buy a Kindle.

Read tomorrow's headlines today:

Umpteen Million Kindles Sold

Amazon sold umpteen million Kindles to the Chinese and Iranian governments for distribution to their citizens. When asked about the deal, Jeff Bezos said it was easy: "We simply agreed to let the Chinese and Iranian internal security agencies check what citizens were loading onto their Kindles. We believe this will be a whole new market for Amazon." Bezos did deny, however, rumors that Amazon is currently negotiating with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, saying that "Homeland Security wants too steep a discount" but refused to comment on rumors that sales are pending to Russia and North Korea.

rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And then there is this headline....

JK Rowling to release the Harry Potter Series Exclusively for the Kindle

Author JK Rowling has decided to release the Harry Potter series just for the Amazon Kindle line of readers. In a statement by Rowling, she said that since Amazon can now use Whispernet to find all of the illegal copies of my books loaded onto a Kindle, I can prosecute these offenders to the full extent of the law.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote