Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
sylvain62
sylvain62 began at the beginning.

Device: Asus MemoPad 2014
Size of a books selections

Hi everyone,

Maybe my question will look a little bit trivial but... I did not find a way to do what I want...
And I tried to find a thread about that on the forum.

I would like to know the total size of the books I selected. In Calibre, before sending books to a external device, I use to select several books, and then I send them to my external device.

But I did not find any information about the total size of my selection... Of course I could add all the single size information, but... If I select 100 books... It turns to be
And when I send the books to my external device, I can see a progession bar etc... But nothing about the total size I am currently sending.

The idea is that I would like to know whether I can actually send the books selection to my external device which could have less space that the entire size selection...

If somebody know a way to know that...

Thank you
sylvain62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, calibre will automatically refuse to send books if their total size is less than the free size on the device. Of course the device has to be capable of reporting free size for that,but most devices are.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC, calibre will automatically refuse to send books if their total size is less than the free size on the device. Of course the device has to be capable of reporting free size for that,but most devices are.
Don't you mean MORE than the free size?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, of course
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
sylvain62

Hi kovidgoyal and PeterT,

Thank for your answers.

Indeed Calibre stops automatically, and it did it, after more than 30 minutes (I tried to send more that 700 books).
So I guess it started to send the selection, and then realized that there was not enough place,so it stopped (similarly as the windows copy/past process in the past).
At the end I think, it just send one single book.

I actually know how much space I have on the external device, but I don't know how much I have to send...
It would be a first step that Calibre warn the user that there is not enough space.

Now I am trying to "save as" the selection in one single file on my computer, so that, I will be able to evaluate the total size from windows.
It should be possible to do like that, but a little bit cumbersome.

Thank you
Sylvain
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
sylvain62

So, I save my books selections to the laptop where Calibre is installed, the total size is 16 giga, so 6 giga over the space available on my external device.

No surprise, it was expected, but it is quite boring to have to use that procedure.

I have to find another way.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Send the books in batches. Only the last batch will fail.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:14 AM   #8
sylvain62

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Send the books in batches. Only the last batch will fail.
Thank you, good idea.