Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #241
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sharon Lee has posted an updated schedule of what is in the pipeline and when it's due on her Blog without a Name. For those hoping for further tales of Jethri, it looks like that's a long way out, if at all. OTOH, there are two Carousel stories already in Baen's hands and due out next year, plus the second half of the Liaden Constellation. And work has begun on the 5 additional Liaden books they have under contract.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #242
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Big smile.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #243
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read Trade Secret as an eArc, but I'm enjoying even it more with the final version. When I'm done, I'll have to go through and compare the two, just to see where the differences are, in a casual way.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #244
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sharon Lee has posted an updated schedule of what is in the pipeline and when it's due on her Blog without a Name. For those hoping for further tales of Jethri, it looks like that's a long way out, if at all.
This really surprises me, because that second novel felt like a set-up, revealing, as it does, that Jethri has more abilities than we'd previously been aware of, and seems to raise more questions than it answers.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #245
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oh, I don't doubt that there is a book there to be written. But remember, it's all about CONTRACTS. Authors write what the publisher will pay for. And given that they already have a contract with Baen for 5 more books in the Liaden mainline, I doubt that anything else is going to sneak in there for a while. But you never know. If they suddenly sell 50% more books for Trade Secret than they usually sell, they might well end up with another Jethri book sooner. The reality is that there are only so many books they can produce in a given time period, and only so many that Baen can publish.

Just remember what Dr. Johnson said: "Nobody but a blockhead ever wrote for anything except money."
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #246
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking forward to getting the book on Nov. 5th. I've been strong and haven't read the ARC - but it's been difficult.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #247
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
From Steve Miller up on Splinter Universe:
Quicksilver
three chapters of a story begun by Steve Miller in 1977
Intro.

Also for those that missed it, in the aforementioned Blog without a Name Sharon talks about the Theo timeline and difficulties the authors faced as well as upcoming plans.

Quote:
In-universe, there’s a lot of stuff going on for Clan Korval, and Theo’s Stuff is only part of a much, much bigger picture. We had been trying to fit all the Other Stuff around Theo’s Stuff — and it was cramping our style.

This was the realization from which the Five Book Dash was born. Five books, all pointing in the same direction, each giving scope to a mover and shaker in the Liaden Universe®, only one of which is (projected to be) Theo-centric.

This solution made the back-brain happy, which will, in turn, make happy writers, and books that are less sticky to write.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #248
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Trade Secret is officially released, with the Audible version available for purchase and download. And the hardback and eBook versions available from all the usual sources.

Last edited by CRussel; 11-05-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added URLs to released editions
Old 11-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #249
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

My Audible pre-order hit my account, and my signed book arrived.

Now, do I read it now, or save it for over the holidays? A Jethri-thon?

I'm getting so good with this self-denial, since I managed not to read the ARC.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #250
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The eArc of Sharon Lee's Carousel Sun is out at Baen. This is not at all Liaden, but the same quality of writing is there, and I recommend the series.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #251
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Liked the first book a lot. Don't know if I'll buy the eArc, but will definitely be getting the finished book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #252
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup. I enjoyed the first book quite a bit, and am looking forward to the second and third books. But money is really tight right now, so I won't be buying the eArc. But will be buying the February bundle.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #253
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Crussel, or anyone else interested, see deals and freebies, as there is a discount code going for a bundle.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #254
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks, piperclassique. I really don't qualify for a discount by what I consider the terms of their offer. It's really for new users and I'm hardly that any more. I do appreciate the reminder, and I certainly encourage anyone interested in discovering Baen and supporting their DRM-Free, reasonably priced books to jump in on the deal.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #255
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Just completed "Quarter Share" and am now reading "Half Share" by Nathan Lowell, and I am loving this series! I reminds me so much of the trading and shipboard scenes of "Balance of Trade". I always found the trading aspects of that book intriguing, and "Quarter Share" really gets into that aspect of being aboard a trading ship. The plot isn't as complex as that of Jethri's story, but it's a good way to get a fix in between Liaden Universe books if you're into the whole shipboard aspect of space operas.

As a reference, here's CRussell's thread about the series:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=nathan+lowell

The blurb for "Quarter Share"

Quote:
The Golden Age of Sail has Returned -- in the Year 2352
When his mother dies in a flitter crash, eighteen-year-old Ishmael Horatio Wang must find a job with the planet company or leave the system--and NerisCo isn't hiring. With credits running low, and prospects limited, he has just one hope...to enlist for two years with a deep space commercial freighter. Ishmael, who only rarely visited the Neris Orbital, and has never been off-planet alone before, finds himself part of an eclectic crew sailing a deep space leviathan between the stars.

Join the crew of the SC Lois McKendrick, a Manchester built clipper as she sets solar sails in search of profit for her company and a crew each entitled to a share equal to their rating.
http://www.amazon.com/Quarter-Share-...=nathan+lowell

Quote:
Nathan Lowell has been a writer for more than forty years, and first entered the literary world by podcasting his novels. His sci-fi series, The Golden Age of the Solar Clipper grew from his long time fascination with space opera and his own experiences shipboard in the United States Coast Guard. Unlike most works which focus on a larger-than-life hero (prophesized savior, charismatic captain, or exiled prince), Nathan centers on the people behind the scenes--ordinary men and women trying to make a living in the depths of space. In his novels, there are no bug-eyed monsters, or galactic space battles, instead he paints a richly vivid and realistic world where the "hero" uses hard work and his own innate talents to improve his station and the lives of those of his community.