Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
farmersteve
farmersteve began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
When I posted tyhis rant I really meant it about the poor staff ( training ) at waterstones who should have warned a prospective purchaser to be much more aware of what they need before making a quite expensive buy.
I am fully prepared to believe that if we could log on to sony website it may work fine. I have though just been warned by Sony that it may be days (weeks perhaps) before this is possible.
This does not excuse the staff at waterstones selling an Eboook under false pretences and as such they should have promptly offered to refund the book It would have reinforced my confidence in them.
They must have sold a lot of these at Christmas time and I am certain there are many out there who will be feeling very disappointed with their gift, I know from the reaction in the shop that I was far from the first to have tried to take one back
I think Sony will have a lot of work making up the ill will this will generate no matter how good the product is.
The issue of the backlight is not a major issue but seeing the common sense in being able to read in places while not causing annoyance to other people is one whicxh I would have thought would have been a major selling point and I think from these threads that other models do have them
The issue of not causing eye strain with them is I think fascetious surely they could have adjustable back lighting so in bright light you could just turn it off
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersteve
The issue of not causing eye strain with them is I think fascetious surely they could have adjustable back lighting so in bright light you could just turn it off
It really isn't facetious, e-ink, for the majority is much easier on the eyes than LCD. Also, e-ink screens are opaque, so it is not possible to back light them. The Sony 700 had side lighting to work around this issue. Some folks like the side lights, some don't.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
No e-ink reader has backlight as far as I know - the sony prs-700 had some in-built screen lighting but the reviews were mostly negative. The special thing about e-ink screens is that they are easy on the eyes, as a paper book is, and don't cause eyestrain like backlit screens (like for example computer screens). As you use a light to read a paper book, so you use a light to read on an e-ink device. Special book-lights can help you with that if you don't want to use ambient lighting.

Now, I can understand your annoyance with waterstones, and it may be that the reader (or any reader at the moment) does not suit your needs. But since you already have it, you might see past your rage and give it a try. Most of us here love our readers, and it's not because any store tried to deceive us.

I don't understand why it may be days or weeks before you can log on to sony website as you say. But you can start using your device by downloading some of the free ebooks in epub format we have on this site. Feel free to ask specific questions to specific problems you may encounter. Whatever it is, someone in here is bound to know the answer.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by defizr View Post
I've just bought a PRS-300. I downloaded the library reader software and used it to register my reader on the Sony site. When I registered I was offered 125 free classic books in a batch of 100 and a batch of 25. Perhaps you could try the same?

See, now this was cool. I live in the USA. But, I went to the Sony UK website (http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook - the link to the free books is on the lower RH side of the page) and I was able to register my PRS-600, with my USA address, and the site allowed me to download the 125 classic books.

I know, I know, they are available elsewhere. But, to have 'em handy like this was nice too. Easy enough download (they are .zip files) and Calibre put them right in.

So, thank you, defizr, for mentioning the Sony.uk site.

And, I am sorry, FarmerSteve, that you had troubles with Waterstones being confused about what was available ON the Sony they had for sale. But - give the reader another shot, especially with the availability of the free books out there. It is a bit of a learning curve, understanding HOW to get books on the readers ... but they are so NICE to use!

Happy reading!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #20
farmersteve
farmersteve began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks for all the great advice I have had from this site
It has always been my intention to have one of these devices
I was unawre that you can download anything to it without the software. This is not apparent fromn the easy start booklet whyich comes with the Ebook. I have downloaded the full 250 page manual but have not had the time to go through the finer details yet.
People have mentioned the American site having problems and getting through on the English one strangely my Ebook bought in England seems to be trying to download from the American site. It may have something to do with I believe that it was sourced from Canada, from the packaging and labelling. I may be wrong on this though
As I have had a communication from Sony I will wait to see if they come back to me (after a rather strong Email from me)
I am interested in the comments about the screen technology I was unaware about the lack of possibility of fitting a backlight. What does everyone think about the clip on lights
farmersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #21
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Have you set your location in the Reader Library correctly? It sounds as if it's set to US instead of UK. To change it open the Reader Library software then click 'edit' in the menu and choose 'Preferences' and there you can set your region.

For transferring free books you've downloaded from here or other sites you can use Calibre, a forum for this program can be found on this site.

Good luck!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #22
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless it was faulty, you don't have a right to return it, and I don't believe it is faulty, is it? You do if you buy on-line, but not if you buy in person.
Serious? Here in Australia a consumer is able to return goods for a full refund under the Trade Practices Act if the goods purchased and received were not what was advertised and purchased. So if that PRS-600 was sold here in Aus the OP could go back to the store and get either (a) a replacement PRS-600 with 100 books as they were lead to believe at time or purchase, or (b) full refund.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:11 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Serious? Here in Australia a consumer is able to return goods for a full refund under the Trade Practices Act if the goods purchased and received were not what was advertised and purchased. So if that PRS-600 was sold here in Aus the OP could go back to the store and get either (a) a replacement PRS-600 with 100 books as they were lead to believe at time or purchase, or (b) full refund.
But the information was correct - you can go to the Sony UK web site and download 125 free books. Unless the advert specifically said that the books were preloaded on the device, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Yes, the "Trades Descriptions Act" says the goods have to be as described, fit for purpose, etc, etc, but there does not appear to be any obvious breach of that here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #24
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
But the information was correct - you can go to the Sony UK web site and download 125 free books. Unless the advert specifically said that the books were preloaded on the device, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Yes, the "Trades Descriptions Act" says the goods have to be as described, fit for purpose, etc, etc, but there does not appear to be any obvious breach of that here.
The OP said that the reader was sold to his wife by sales staff who said that 100 preloaded books were installed, yet they weren't. It isn't Sony's fault, it is Waterstones. IMHO it isn't that big a deal, the staff at Waterstones should just offer to install the free ebooks then and there.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #25
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Just as a point of information - the Trades Descriptions Act and the Sales of Goods Act apply to the seller , not the manufacturer. So once again, as many have said, it would be Waterstones who'd be liable. In this case, if W's said that the device had 100 books pre-loaded and it didn't, that's a breach and they'd be liable.

But, under the TDA/SLA, their obligation is to repair, or if that's not possible, to replace, or if that's not possible, to refund.

Repair would mean, as Solicitous said, loading the books for the customer. Which would be hard if the customer was ranting that the reader was junk and that Sony were spawn of the devil and so on. And even harder if said ranting wasn't actually in a branch of W's where someone could deal with the problem

Another approach is to accept the possibility that, shop staff being human and all, they will exhibit the normal range of human foibles, including that of making the occasional mistake. To which a common remedy is an apology, which is often sufficient for those of us that recognise that, especially in the run-up to Christmas, shop working is not a chi-centring laid-back business

Last edited by nick101; 12-30-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Corrected some terminology
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Another approach is to accept the possibility that, shop staff being human and all, they will exhibit the normal range of human foibles, including that of making the occasional mistake. To which a common remedy is an apology, which is often sufficient for those of us that recognise that, especially in the run-up to Christmas, shop working is not a chi-centring laid-back business
Wow - radical suggestion!

Yes, of course people make mistakes, and the point here is that the basic information - that you get a shed-load of free classics - was correct, even if you do have to download them yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:02 AM   #27
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Wow - radical suggestion!
Yeah, I know. Unlikely to catch on, but ...
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I can understand your disappointment, Steve. Technology can be so darned frustrating. My advice, though, would be to give it a little time and have patience enough to ask for advice from the generous experts here. I was ready to trash my Sony in its first week ... now, I can't imagine being without it. I spend hours with it every day and wouldn't dream of resorting to paper or reading on a regular PC or laptop screen. Don't worry about your missing books, either. You can download tens of thousands of free public domain classics from many sources -- including beautifully, painstakingly formatted versions here. And sure there's no backlight: that's the whole idea of e-ink. Most folks here find it a much more comfortable and practical option once they get used to it. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #29
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersteve View Post
I am interested in the comments about the screen technology I was unaware about the lack of possibility of fitting a backlight. What does everyone think about the clip on lights
I use a clip on light, and my partner uses the same type. We bought both in Waterstones... if you are a bit anti-W at the moment that may not be that useful a thing to say. The ones we have are quite small and they clip onto a case - they aren't specifically ebook reading lights (I also bought one for a friend who just wanted a reading light). They were around £3 I think.

In use - they work. The light is, in my opinion, just too little to fully illuminate the screen. As a workround I attach mine to the side of the reader, and just tilt it if necesary. This isn't perfect, but I don't use it a lot, so it doesn't bother me, that is just me though. Interestingly my partner uses hers a lot, has pretty much the same experience, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. Each to their own, I guess.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #30
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
That's what I did, but the Project Gutenberg titles were easier to access than the Sony free 100, which are dependent on the Sony download speed (SLOOOOOOW). Oh and I'm loading through Calibre now which suits my level of incompetence better then the Sony Library.
I'm enjoying the reading experience though, and using a clip on mighty bright, can read in bed without disturbing DH too much.
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote