Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #46
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
No, why would I want to do that?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #47
ewiplayer
Enthusiast
ewiplayer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHund View Post
would you buy my old monochrome LCD PDA for only 399$?
(me, sorry)

Man, I don't get this stuff... seriously. I have a 700 on order and I'm really looking forward to seeing if it's decent (if not, it goes back to Sony). For me, the 505 is useless due to its slowness, but I don't take pleasure in making 505 owners feel stupid for owning theirs and actually liking them.

(Some) people really are making a huge fuss over this as though there is a foreign person invading their prehistoric tribe.

It's a piece of electronic gear... circuit traces, silicon, (plexi)glass and plastic... jeez... lighten up.

Some of us are trolling this forum for more information but lately there's more noise than signal. This forum is becoming more useless by the minute and, of course there's nothing that says it "must" be useful for people like me, but it's a shame that it's not so much anymore.
ewiplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
EWIPlayer -- Are you on the windlist? I play the WX5/VL70m combination.

I am very happy with the 700 -- the speed of page turns and book opening is terrific. The length of time after loading the reader with well over 1000 books (the increased memory is wonderful!) and then detaching from the computer was about the same amount of time I used to wait for my 500 to be ready to read when I only had 300 books on it.

And the new UI is fast and easy, too.

I was nervous after all these negative reactions, but the new reader is great. Different from the 505, but better in so many ways. And definitely a huge leap upward from my 500. I'm hooked, it's staying.

And my wife liked the screen, too. I really don't understand all this negative reaction.

But I'm ready to accept that people don't like it -- I have no problem with that. If a person finds it hard to read from, then there's nothing I can do about it.

I do however think that if a person finds it perfectly fine to read from the 700 screen, I really shouldn't get snide remarks about buying old PDAs.

One other thing - the new version of the Library software installs perfectly on a Vista-64 computer and the reader is recognized instantly as either an external drive or by the library software.

No complaints at all from me about it.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #49
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHund View Post
would you buy my old monochrome LCD PDA for only 399$?
Hm, I am not trying to defend the 700 screen, but under direct bright light it is usable without eye strain - I've been happily using it every night with a clip-on light, which also eliminates all reflections.

No comparison to a PDA, or to an LCD -the 700 is still an e-ink screen. However, in my experience, the 700 is not usable for extended reading, when there is anything less than direct, bright light.

I haven't seen the 500, but it does sound like the 700's screen is comparable. Thus, many who were happy with the 500, may be happier with the 700. And the UI and speed of the 700 are significantly better than the 505, IMO.

And as I mentioned before, many people think ANYONE reading from an ereader, instead of a paper page, has lost it. I personally think a 6" screen is too small.

So, if someone is happy with what they use, I'd say live and let live.

Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #50
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I'm keeping my 700 too.
700 screen is very similar to 500. I happily used my 500 for over a year, then moved to 505. I read all reviews here, then compared 505 to 700 in Sony store, decided to buy it. Interface is nice, touch screen is fast, integrated light is a plus. It's lighter than 505 with light wedge. Of course, 505 screen is sharper, but that doesn't mean you cannot read on 700. How did people use 500 before the 505?
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
One other thing - the new version of the Library software installs perfectly on a Vista-64 computer and the reader is recognized instantly as either an external drive or by the library software.
Interesting. I assume it shows as a 32-bit process in task manager? Are you also able to view/activate the reader to Digital Editions on the 64-bit system too?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
(me, sorry)

Man, I don't get this stuff... seriously. I have a 700 on order and I'm really looking forward to seeing if it's decent (if not, it goes back to Sony). For me, the 505 is useless due to its slowness, but I don't take pleasure in making 505 owners feel stupid for owning theirs and actually liking them.

cut
Not to worry.

I would say most 505 owners don't feel stupid at all. In fact, I would guess they feel pretty smart for liking their units and enjoying them very much, and owning a unit right now from which they can enjoy reading something at this very moment.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting information and feeling so much angst.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #53
ewiplayer
Enthusiast
ewiplayer has learned how to buy an e-book online

You missed my point...
ewiplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #54
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
You missed my point...
I'm always willing to say I made a mistake.

Help me to understand, please, what point you were making.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a side-by-side photo of the 500 & 700 which I don't think is good enough to do a proper comparison of the two screens. Because what's left out is that further down in the article where that photo came from is a screen shot of the 700 only that looks better then either screens in the side-by-side shot. So really, you cannot then take that side-by-side shot seriously given that how the photo is taken can influence how it looks. Anyway that bases their opinion on a seriously mislieading photo is doing themselves a disservice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #56
abermp
abermp began at the beginning.

I received my PRS-700 three days ago; here are my impressions after using it extensively since. First, the screen reminds me more of my old PalmPilot than the PRS-505. Having said that, I am definitely keeping this unit. I have read a 200+ page book on it in all lighting conditions and am very pleased. Occasionally, I have to reposition it due to glare but not often. I have experienced no eye strain. Most of all, I read primarily non-fiction and love to highlight and make notes. The touch screen makes doing both a joy. Highlighting is faster and better than highlighting in a paper book...you simply press at the start of the section and drag to the bottom, release and its done. Note taking is also fast. There is a slight delay in the letters appearing but I simply typed at the fastest speed that I could and the notes appeared. Finally, I used the unit in dim lighting and I didn't feel a need for additional lighting. The lighting is uneven but the text is readable and, again, I didn't experience any eye strain. Overall, I am very pleased with this unit.
abermp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #57
vivlio
vivlio began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abermp View Post
I received my PRS-700 three days ago; here are my impressions after using it extensively since. First, the screen reminds me more of my old PalmPilot than the PRS-505. Having said that, I am definitely keeping this unit. I have read a 200+ page book on it in all lighting conditions and am very pleased. Occasionally, I have to reposition it due to glare but not often. I have experienced no eye strain. Most of all, I read primarily non-fiction and love to highlight and make notes. The touch screen makes doing both a joy. Highlighting is faster and better than highlighting in a paper book...you simply press at the start of the section and drag to the bottom, release and its done. Note taking is also fast. There is a slight delay in the letters appearing but I simply typed at the fastest speed that I could and the notes appeared. Finally, I used the unit in dim lighting and I didn't feel a need for additional lighting. The lighting is uneven but the text is readable and, again, I didn't experience any eye strain. Overall, I am very pleased with this unit.
Hi do you know if it can handle well big files?More than 10MB each.Can you easily read scanned books in Prs 700?Thank you.
vivlio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #58
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivlio View Post
Hi do you know if it can handle well big files?More than 10MB each.Can you easily read scanned books in Prs 700?Thank you.
It depends on how the scan fits the screen, but in terms on opening, navigating and such I played with a 100+ MB pdf scan and it worked so fast I could not believe it.

If the scan is one page, no big margins, it should work fine at horizontal half page even if it does not work in full page vertical mode, but if you have the chance to test a 700 try it with your scans on an sd card.

For lrf's I have a 27MB one and again it navigates as fast as the rest.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #59
DerHund
DerHund began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abermp View Post
Judging from the posting frequency of abermp, it could also be an sony employee justifying a buy for the 700.
Having seen the 700 screen in comparision to the 505, I really cannot understand why anybody would buy a 700...
Sony, you just screwed up on this device...
DerHund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #60
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
As I have said, I don't think the 700 screen is satisfactory -- at least not for me. But someone ought to add that none of the eInk screens are really satisfactory, at least none I have seen (Iliad, Sony 505) -- they have a grey background, are bw, and are slow to refresh. Compare them to a backlit, hi def screen like the Nokia N800. The Nokia screen refreshes instantaneously, has full color and high res and can be manipulated by a stylus (like the overlay of the Sony 700). Like many, I find the backlit screen (marginally) harder on the eyes, but if you want responsiveness and can manage with only fb2 files, the Nokia is miles better than any of the competition, at least if you don't mind the backlighting. I am hoping eInk progresses in the next year or two and we finally have units that fulfill their potential. In any event, I personally wouldn't settle for a step backwards in the most important element of a reading device -- the screen. And in that regard, the Sony 700 is certainly a step backward.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote