Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindles sold in the UK have a Vodafone SIM in them. I don't know if that also applies to those sold in Europe via "amazon.com". Perhaps someone who's bought a Kindle in Europe from amazon.com could tell us - the network is printed on the box.
I bought my Kindle in Europe from amazon.com and looked on the box, but can't find any mention of network; where about is it supposed to be stamped?

But, perhaps off topic and why would I want to connect to Wifi as I have 3G; after the software update my Kindle now is able to connect with my MIFI 2352(mobile hotspot), and before that it could not.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-11-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: afterthought
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A sticker on the side of the box with the Kindle logo (person sitting under a tree). Mine says:

Network: Voda
Power: UK
Color: DRK
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
For the Kindle in the Netherlands: network Voda
power USB
color DRK.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #34
BertDrongen
BertDrongen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Mmm, so I wonder if I would have full web browsing if I ordered the US version...
BertDrongen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that you haven't told us where you live, and your profile doesn't say either, that is not an easy question to answer...
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #36
BertDrongen
BertDrongen began at the beginning.

I live in Belgium, but I guess it will be the same as in the Netherlands or most other European countries.
BertDrongen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A UK Kindle works fine in Belgium; I was using mine there last week.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 AM   #38
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertDrongen View Post
Mmm, so I wonder if I would have full web browsing if I ordered the US version...
I bought the US version in Italy via amazon.com, it has printed on the box:

Network: AT&t
Power: US

3G browsing is limited to wikipedia and kindle store.
Wi-fi browsing is, obviously, unrestricted.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It seems to be the case that Kindles bought in the UK have unrestricted web browsing throughout Europe, but those bought in the US do not.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #40
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
I bought mine in Brazil from Amazon US. Sticker says:

Network: AT&T
Power: USB

Full Whispernet over 3G here, no limitations at all.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #41
solider
solider began at the beginning.

I bought my Kindle 3 (the international version) from amazon.com and web access in Germany is unfortunately restricted to Wikipedia.

Sticker says:

Network: Voda
Power: USB

It's really strange that the web access is working for some people, but not for others. How does Amazon set the Kindle's to restriced the web or not? What kind of proxy or system do they use?
solider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
jauzsi
jauzsi began at the beginning.

I ordered the international 3G+WiFi version from the US, according to the debug information the home network for the simcard is in the UK (possibly Vodafone), and it uses an irish proxy to reach the web (amazon datacenter in dublin).
The network it will use is different in each country. The full list of enabled Mobile Network Codes are the following: 20810 24008 26801 20404 27801 22210 27201 20205 26202 21401 23801 22801 20601 27001 27402 23201 24405 310410 60202 28602 22601 23003 21670 26001 50503 45406 40420 40411 46000 65501 33805 25099 24201 27602 29340 23101 28401 25503 24802 24602 42501 60400 41601 41902 52018 52503 51011 50219 63902 72231
You can lookup the names here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code
Forbidden local networks: 23410 23433 23430 23420

Anyway I can browse the whole web from the foreign network 21670.
jauzsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauzsi View Post
I ordered the international 3G+WiFi version from the US, according to the debug information the home network for the simcard is in the UK (possibly Vodafone),
No need to guess - the sticker on the box (the one with the person sitting under the tree) tells you what network SIM you have. It'll say "AT&T" for a US SIM or "Voda" for a UK one.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #44
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
I think in general the web browsing functionality does not depend on the country you are in, but the country your kindle is registered to.

So if you are from the US and visit EU countries your kindle web browsing will work, while that of the natives doesn't.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #45
jauzsi
jauzsi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
I think in general the web browsing functionality does not depend on the country you are in, but the country your kindle is registered to.

So if you are from the US and visit EU countries your kindle web browsing will work, while that of the natives doesn't.
I don't think so
jauzsi is offline   Reply With Quote