Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Question Dingo 1.0 – Problems Updating

This question always gets asked, so while I download my own update, let me post this, 'cause I know people are going to ask

In every past release, many people have had problems updating, mainly because Android doesn’t do a great job telling the user what’s happening (this isn’t enTourage’s fault, but enTourage has been able to “assist Android to make things a bit more informative).

Problem 1: “I installed the update, but nothing happens

The key thing to understand is that the update is a two part process. Part 1 is to download the update. Part 2 is to install the update.

So, here’s what you do:
- in the Applications, tap the “Update application and instruct it to download the update
- as the update downloads, at the top left corner of the LCD you’ll see an indicator, with a number in red superimposed, going from 0 to 100 (percent)
- the download will take 5-10 minutes at least
- when the download is done, you’ll see a different indicator in the top left corner of the LCD, with no red numbers
- press the “Menu button, “notifications, and then tap the “Update ready to install item
- Follow the instructions to install the update. It’ll take about 5 minutes or a bit more.

When it installs, the eDGe will reboot. If, when it reboots, your eDGe still looks the same, then it could be the update didn’t “take. In this case, repeat the update process. And repeat it a third time if necessary. After that, contact enTourage Tech Support so they can assist you immediately. It’s a computer after all, and stuff happens from time to time

Problem 2: “My eDGe keeps installing and rebooting by itself in an infinite loop

If you previously got an “update.zip via email (or otherwise) from enTourage, or downloaded it from a link provided in these forums, then it’s probably the cause. The eDGe is being confused by having two update.zip’s (the one the “Update app downloads, and the leftover one from last time).

First, power off your eDGe, pulling the battery if necessary. Then remove the SD card and then boot up again. If the patch doesn’t install, but the eDGe goes to the home screen fine, try redownloading the update and try again.

If removing the SD card doesn’t help, contact enTourage Tech Support immediately so that they can help you right away.

Hope this is helpful

Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
renchy
Edge User

well I had problem two, I removed the SD card, and now my edge is hanging on startup. this is a problem I have had before, and had to run the golden update, looks like I lose al my work...again.

Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Was your Library on the SD card?

In any case, Tech Support should be able to help you out, perhaps even save your work.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
renchy
Edge User

luckily I ran a library backup a few days ago [gee was I relieved when I realised that], so only my most recent work was lost.
After much frustration trying to get my wifi set up again (for some reason it didnt want to accept the login details or save them), I finally re downloaded dingo, deleted the golden update file from the sd card, and ran the update.
I did give tech support a shout by writing a follow up in my previous ticket.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
nzimas
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
- in the Applications, tap the “Update application and instruct it to download the update
I don't have any application called update in the Applications menu
The only way I can access "Update now" is from Settings > eDGe Settings and it just says that there are no updates, although the ROM versions tells a different tale.
Ideas are much welcome.

Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
nzimas
Edge User

Current Software Version:
1.6.eng.buildmaster.20100413.101908.4

Is this the latest update?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Dr. T
Edge User

I probably missed this, but do you have the Pocket eDGe or the full-sized version?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
nzimas
Edge User

Full sized EE.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

What does it say under Settings>About eDGe>Build number? If it says "DINGO-1.6", you have the most up-to-date version.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

BTW, enTourage Support lists the following article for how to Update your Pocket eDGe: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=207.

Note that one user reported that Tech Support had turned off updates for the Pocket eDGe temporarily, so this might be why you're not getting updates.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Dr. T
Edge User

Boris, I think nzimas said they had a full-sized EE. Did enTourage shut off updates for it as well?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

Right you are No, enTourage didn't disable updates for the full-sized EE as far as I know.

The "Current Software Version" that nzimas posted suggests a version 1.6, but that might be the version of the Android OS (1.6). My "Kernel Version" under Settings -About eDGe shows "2.6.29buildmaster@zeke #1".

@nzimas: can you post what "Build number" says under Settings - About eDGe?

Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
My "Kernel Version" under Settings -About eDGe shows "2.6.29buildmaster@zeke #1".
Just FYI, mine says that, too.