Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Great fantasy books set in India?

I'm trying to expand my horizons and I'm really interested in the history and cultures of India.

Can anyone recommend fiction (particularly genre fiction like fantasy) set in India, or by Indian authors?
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
River of Gods and Cyberabad Days by Ian McDonald.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Song of Kali by Dan Simmons. Classified as horror, IIRC, but it felt more like fantasy to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I read and enjoyed Ian MacDonald's Vishnu at the Cat Circus novella which was nominated for last year's Hugo Award. It's set in an interesting future India and apparently it's part of some sort of series which consists of one novel and a short story collection. Here's Ansible's review of the lot, which apparently has had multiple Hugo noms over the years.

I've also bought but not yet read Dan Simmons' Song of Kali, which is said to be a horror fantasy classic. Simmons' other work is highly spoken of elsewhere in Reading Recs and this particular novel won a World Fantasy Award and is available in DRM-free MultiFormat via Fictionwise, which currently has a 55% off coupon in the Deals forum.

If you like murder mysteries, there's Canadian author Don Hauka's Jinnah series, which is Indo-Canadian but travels back and forth. I haven't actually read the books myself, but I enjoyed the CBC's televised adaptations and they had pretty good plots and interesting characters, in my opinion.

(If you don't mind film recs, Indo-Canadian director Deepa Mehta does excellent work.)

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Only a third of the book takes place in India.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I read and enjoyed Ian MacDonald's Vishnu at the Cat Circus novella which was nominated for last year's Hugo Award. It's set in an interesting future India and apparently it's part of some sort of series which consists of one novel and a short story collection.
I think I saw a reference to that somewhere.

Oh-- it was 2 posts above yours.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Something else that crossed my mind-- I came across a couple of hundred issues of a magazine called Chandamama in a torrent. Also viewable on the official web site:

http://www.chandamama.com/archive/storyArchive.htm
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I think I saw a reference to that somewhere.

Oh-- it was 2 posts above yours.
Sorry, I kind of type slowly and new replies sometimes pop up while I'm doing so.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Lord of Light comes to mind, though it may be somewhat a stretch. But it's a great book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I second River of Gods. Really enjoyed that book - haven't read the next one though.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
housepeople
housepeople began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
A very interesting story told in a very appealing way.
housepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I appreciate it!

Last edited by jrlewis; 09-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Just read about THIS one that recently came out. I want to get it, but my list is getting way too big.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
jrlewis
SF/F Author

That's looks pretty good too, I think I'll add it to my list.

Tags
fantasy, fiction, india