Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First Sony Reader Update available!

The much expected first update to the Sony Reader appears to be available now -- perhaps fittingly, today seems to be the day that the Reader forum has pulled ahead of the iLiad forum in number of posts (it may not stay that way, of course, but the Reader forum has been behind up 'til now, so I thought it was worth mentioning )

I haven't played with it yet, so I can't give much direct information, but I have managed to dig up some details as to what's included in this update. It's mostly mundane stuff, but there are a few interesting bits, and as I've mentioned previously, I think this is most likely a first update, in the sense of more to follow, so we'll see what happens there.

Vista compatibility supporting:
  • Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Basic
  • Microsoft® Windows® VistaHome Premium
  • Microsoft® Windows® Vista Business
  • Microsoft® Windows® Vista Ultimate
ConnSoft
  • Support for Microsoft® Windows® Vista (Home Basic/ Home Premium/ Business/ Ultimate)
  • Reading books on the PC in Full-screen mode
  • Continuous page scrolling in Preview mode, rather than page by page
  • Added Eject button which safely removes the Reader once all transfer activity is completed
  • Improvement of the Status Icon
  • System stability enhancements
Reader Firmware
  • Longer audio playback Battery life
  • Faster transfer speeds for Memory Stick Media 4GB or larger
  • Improved handling of white bands on audio playback screen
  • System stability enhancements

The update came down in two parts. I checked for the update with the Reader connected, and the first part seemed to be to the Reader's firmware (it restarted in the process), and the second seemed to be ConnSoft itself, and launched when I restarted that app after the installation of the first part.

I've attached some screen caps of the more interesting message boxes that came up during the update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Update Note 1.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	2820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update Note 2.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Update Note 3.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2822   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Version.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2823  
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Wink Colour!

Amazing! It now renders pages in COLOUR!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Seriously, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Longer MP3 playback was not exactly the most desirable feature. (Who uses it for music playback anyway?) What about organizing books in folders?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My impression/guess is that this is more aimed to fix the actual functionality issues that became apparent in the first weeks after release, rather than to add new functionality, but I've seen some indications that there's likely more to come.

On a specific note, I have a really huge RTF file that had been resetting my Reader when I switched it to L size -- it goes through the sizes just fine now, and seems to do so significantly more quickly.

The ConnSoft seems to be running significantly faster too, and I think I like the full screen reading mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Screen.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2824  
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Amazing! It now renders pages in COLOUR!

b3t Nice going NatCh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
do you guys know what this is:
"Addresses security vulnerabilities" ?

It's a new feature of the firmware upgrade... I wonder what they mean. did they screw up the reverse engineered USB protocol?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Soooooo, will my audio be better for ANY white band or just an Average White Band?

Honestly, my knowledge of audio is hideous and the first thing I thought of was that they've changed the settings to help market Andy Williams records instead of Beyonce. (Sonys new marketing slogan in Newsweek: Less threatening than an iPod!)

Still, can't wait to get home and see what still works and what doesn't.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Anyone know how we update our Reader if we have a Mac? I'm at my brothers and I haven't had a chance to get to the site, so sorry if I am asking something that is really obvious!

Last edited by tsgreer; 05-23-2007 at 06:33 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
I'm updated. Reading with fingers crossed is difficult, but I think I can manage.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
No bricking here.. Went well...

Wonder if it will alter all battery life.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Exclamation Upgrade broke my prs500

My prs500 on my Macbook Pro 10.4.8 was working prior to the upgrade and is now dead in the water.

My filesystem code is still working.

Last edited by scotty1024; 02-09-2007 at 01:50 PM.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I guess we know why the server was down for those few days. Thanks for the headsup, guess I will go and get my updates and pray, LOL
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Max Introvert
Max Introvert began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
After a harrowing hour or so --

The new version of ConnSoft still doesn't work under 64-bit XP. I know that's a niche, but it doesn't bode well for 64-bit Vista, and they say this supports Vista.

In other news, don't try to update firmware running inside a virtual machine. I've seen the "Updating firmware now ..." screen a LOT more than is healthy recently. *grin*
Max Introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Make that my regression tests were working.

The filesystem itself is toast on the same error as is nailing prs500, can't execute pathquery on /.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Introvert
After a harrowing hour or so --

The new version of ConnSoft still doesn't work under 64-bit XP. I know that's a niche, but it doesn't bode well for 64-bit Vista, and they say this supports Vista.

In other news, don't try to update firmware running inside a virtual machine. I've seen the "Updating firmware now ..." screen a LOT more than is healthy recently. *grin*
I upgraded using Parallels 3180 under XP SP2. I just terminated the firmware update after it came up and said I now had the latest firmware. Then I relaunched Sony Connect and let it update itself.

Everything but the 3rd party apps are working now for me. I even bought and downloaded a new ebook after the upgrade.