Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
lemontree255
lemontree255 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Astak Mentor Vs. Cybook Gen3

Wanted an e-ink reader for ages now; finally gonna take the plunge. I've done my own research but I thought I had better consult the experts before parting with my cash.

I think it's between either the Astak Mentor 6 inch or the Bookeen Cybook Gen3. Obviously the Astak is not available as yet, but I wouldn't have long to wait, and the price sounds very promising.
Does anyone know what the deal is with the optional wifi? Does that mean there's a built in browser? That would be worth the wait IMO.

That being said, obviously I will be primarily reading, so BT and wifi are probably just more money down the drain. I'm tempted to shell out the extra cash and get a Cybook right now. It seems there are a few niggles such as a flat-file system, etc., but overall it seems to be a decent device.

So what say you experts, does the Astak look to be superior to the Cybook? I know the hardware is the same/similar, but perhaps the software is better?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
lemontree255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontree255 View Post
So what say you experts, does the Astak look to be superior to the Cybook? I know the hardware is the same/similar, but perhaps the software is better?

Since no one has any Astak device as they aren't out yet this question can't really be answered. The OEM for both devices is the same, so I suspect the will be very similar. What will be different is the software.

Also, if you are wanting to get the eReader version of the Astak then you must wait. Personally, I wish there were an eInk device that supported eReader. Since both my son's now have an iPod touch going 100% eReader would let us read all our eBooks on all those devices.

Other than that I would say just get the CyBook. No telling how long you will have to wait for the Astak. It has alreade been delayed several times... and there is no telling if that will happen again. You will also be able to sell the CyBook farily quickly from what I see if you do want to move to an Asktak. Of course, you might be orphaning your eBook collection unless you get the Mobipocket version of the Astak... I think called the Litebook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
lemontree255

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Since no one has any Astak device as they aren't out yet this question can't really be answered. The OEM for both devices is the same, so I suspect the will be very similar. What will be different is the software.

Also, if you are wanting to get the eReader version of the Astak then you must wait. Personally, I wish there were an eInk device that supported eReader. Since both my son's now have an iPod touch going 100% eReader would let us read all our eBooks on all those devices.
Hmmm, I'm thinking that the software may be better, but how much better can it really be considering it's on the same hardware? Maybe better file handling, faster response times, etc. But I suppose there's no guarantee of that, and we can't know until someone buys one. Out of interest, anyone on here planning on getting one?

Sorry perhaps I mislead, I don't have a particular need for an eReader device, sorry I'm not fully up on all the terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You will also be able to sell the CyBook farily quickly from what I see if you do want to move to an Asktak. Of course, you might be orphaning your eBook collection unless you get the Mobipocket version of the Astak... I think called the Litebook.
That's a good point, I could always sell it off. Thanks for your (prompt!) reply.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
as pilotbob said i can't speak for the astak since it's not been released yet (i'm sure that someone around here will get one when it comes out, if only to test it out !), but since you mentioned the cybook's flat file system i thought i would mention that folder support will definitely be included in a firmware update available in the very near future. this has been confirmed by bookeen.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
lemontree255

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
as pilotbob said i can't speak for the astak since it's not been released yet (i'm sure that someone around here will get one when it comes out, if only to test it out !), but since you mentioned the cybook's flat file system i thought i would mention that folder support will definitely be included in a firmware update available in the very near future. this has been confirmed by bookeen.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. Oh and great site and wiki btw.
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
We really have no idea how good the software on the Mentor will be. It might be worth waiting until September to see how good it is, but the Cybook is a safe choice.

No current EInk device has a full-featured web browser. The Kindle has a basic web browser, that is ok for occasional use but it also has a keyboard. I would be surprised if the Mentor had a good web browser, although in principle there are now several browsers that would work well if someone was willing to pay for the effort required to get them working. It would use an on-screen keyboard, which is one reason that WiFi and touch screen are often mentioned together. Note that the iLiad v2 has WiFi, but does not come with a web browser and the latest "Reader Edition" has dropped WiFi. The argument for WiFi is the delivery of content (ebooks, RSS feeds, etcetera) without needing a PC. This is a good thing, but only the Kindle does this well today and only in the US-only Whispernet coverage areas.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
just think - you could wait months for the astak or you could spend your months reading on a cybook. totally aside from the fact that yes, i love reading on my cybook, i'd always rather be reading than waiting

Quote:
Wanted an e-ink reader for ages now; finally gonna take the plunge. I've done my own research but I thought I had better consult the experts before parting with my cash.

I think it's between either the Astak Mentor 6 inch or the Bookeen Cybook Gen3. Obviously the Astak is not available as yet, but I wouldn't have long to wait, and the price sounds very promising.
Does anyone know what the deal is with the optional wifi? Does that mean there's a built in browser? That would be worth the wait IMO.

That being said, obviously I will be primarily reading, so BT and wifi are probably just more money down the drain. I'm tempted to shell out the extra cash and get a Cybook right now. It seems there are a few niggles such as a flat-file system, etc., but overall it seems to be a decent device.

basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Given the issues lots of people are having with the firmware on the Gen3, I'd wait for the Astak to see if it's any better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given the issues lots of people are having with the firmware on the Gen3, I'd wait for the Astak to see if it's any better.
What "issues", Jon? Other than a few people experiencing the occasional hang-up on booting (which simply requires a reset) I'm not aware of any "issues". You're making a mountain range out of a molehill.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
I had some problems but after A few recharges there have been no further problems. I think if you check how many residual problems there are left unesolved, it will be a very small number. I'd certainly buy a Cybook again. I have read more after getting the Cybook than I did before I had it because it is sooooooo nice and so portable.

It does need a folders view rather than a flat file view but that has been promised. Unless you flick from one book to another then essentially you read a book, find the next one to read, read that etc and the flat file is an annoyance because one can see how it could be made much simpler but it does not affect the experience of reading.

The issue with technology is that there is always a new thing "just about to be released". If one waits one never gets started and then there is a new thing "just about to be released". That is life.
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
lemontree255

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
just think - you could wait months for the astak or you could spend your months reading on a cybook. totally aside from the fact that yes, i love reading on my cybook, i'd always rather be reading than waiting
Well thanks for all your replies. Most people seem happy with their cybooks so I went ahead and ordered a brand-spanking new one. Can't wait.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Well thanks for all your replies. Most people seem happy with their cybooks so I went ahead and ordered a brand-spanking new one. Can't wait.
You will not regret it. And from what we have seen from the Astak software so far, Bookeens is better. But that might change when Astak finally gets their device to the market.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A real product is always more useful than "vapourware", IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
lemontree255

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A real product is always more useful than "vapourware", IMHO.
Yeah, that's what I reckoned.