Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How Should I start off the New Year?
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5) by Douglas Adams 15 39.47%
Dust (Jacob's Ladder #1) by Elizabeth Bear 3 7.89%
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy #1) by Pierce Brown 0 0%
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson 3 7.89%
Seraphina (Seraphina #1) by Rachel Hartman 1 2.63%
Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy #1) by David Gemmell 1 2.63%
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie 9 23.68%
Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) by Anthony Ryan 1 2.63%
The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter #1) by Megan Shepheard 1 2.63%
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland #1) by Catherynne M. Valente 2 5.26%
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede 5 13.16%
Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett 0 0%
The Book by M. Clifford 1 2.63%
Bird Box by Josh Malerman 0 0%
Swan Song by Robert McCammon 1 2.63%
The Martian by Andy Weir 21 55.26%
The Iron King (Les Rois Maudits #1) aka (The Accursed Kings #1) by Maurice Druon 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
How Should I start off the New Year?

Thanks to a little Christmas money (aka Amazon Gift Card) and an overflowing TBR I have overwhelmed myself with options! I would like help choosing how to end 2014/ begin 2015 please.
The following selections are books I previously or now own that will help me get a jump on one or more of my 2015 challenges.

The Choices:
  1. The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5) by Douglas Adams
  2. Dust (Jacob's Ladder #1) by Elizabeth Bear
  3. Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy #1) by Pierce Brown
  4. Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson
  5. Seraphina (Seraphina #1) by Rachel Hartman
  6. Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy #1) by David Gemmell
  7. Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie
  8. Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) by Anthony Ryan
  9. The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter #1) by Megan Shepheard
  10. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland #1) by Catherynne M. Valente
  11. Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede
  12. Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett
  13. The Book by M. Clifford
  14. Bird Box by Josh Malerman
  15. Swan Song by Robert McCammon
  16. The Martian by Andy Weir
  17. The Iron King (Les Rois Maudits #1) aka (The Accursed Kings #1) by Maurice Druon

This should be a multiple choice poll (assuming I set it up correctly ).
Votes/Suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year & Thank you!
Edited to Add: Since I plan to read all of these eventually, I'm going to vote for what I feel are my top choices right now. Please do not let that either persuade or dissuade you. If I really had a firm idea of which I wanted to choose, I would not have started this poll. Thank you, again.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-30-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I am ashamed to admit that I've only read two of your choices, and of those two, only enjoyed one. (I have tried many, many times to like Hitchhiker, but I just don't "get it". )
But I LOVED Andy Weir's "The Martian". It was one of those books that really caught me by surprise and latched on. That's my vote for you!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to tell you, if you do find yourself reading The Martian, you'll need to fix it first. The embedded fonts used are AWFUL for eInk.

When you do get to reading Ancillary Justice, don't worry that it's a bit confusing at the beginning. It does get a lot better and you do finally understand the beginning. I've read it and I did enjoy it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I am ashamed to admit that I've only read two of your choices, and of those two, only enjoyed one. (I have tried many, many times to like Hitchhiker, but I just don't "get it". )
But I LOVED Andy Weir's "The Martian". It was one of those books that really caught me by surprise and latched on. That's my vote for you!
I appreciate your vote! Thank you.

I haven't heard many say that they didn't like Hitchhiker's Guide .
I feel so behind the curve simply for not having read it before; especially seeing as I've had the omnibus for at least 3 years now.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to tell you, if you do find yourself reading The Martian, you'll need to fix it first. The embedded fonts used are AWFUL for eInk.

When you do get to reading Ancillary Justice, don't worry that it's a bit confusing at the beginning. It does get a lot better and you do finally understand the beginning. I've read it and I did enjoy it.
Thanks for the warnings!
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool More than one...

I was allowed to check more than one box, but I unchecked all but one before I actually voted.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I was allowed to check more than one box, but I unchecked all but one before I actually voted.

Did you change your mind!?! I hope my choices did not influence you to do so.

Thank you, though, for participating.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
I'm going with The Martian because that's the only book from your list that I have in my library. I haven't read it either, but I plan to do it soon.
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's going to be The Martian by a landslide.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool multiple choice test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Did you change your mind!?! I hope my choices did not influence you to do so.

Thank you, though, for participating.
No. A multiple choice test means that there are multiple possible answers to a question and the test-taker must choose one answer (the best of the choices), so that's what I did.
Quote:
What is a Multiple Choice Test?

The multiple-choice test is a very flexible assessment format that can be used to measure knowledge, skills, abilities, values, thinking skills, etc. Such a test usually consists of a number of items that pose a question to which students must select an answer from among a number of choices.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyMore View Post
I'm going with The Martian because that's the only book from your list that I have in my library. I haven't read it either, but I plan to do it soon.
Fair enough! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's going to be The Martian by a landslide.
Quite possibly - although one person did buck against the tide and vote for something other than The Martian! I'm wondering how many others might do so as well.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
No. A multiple choice test means that there are multiple possible answers to a question and the test-taker must choose one answer (the best of the choices), so that's what I did.

Ah! LOL Okay. Thank you!!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 AM   #13
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I've read Swan Song only from your list. It's a horror novel. I didn't like it much. You'd do better by going with Hitchhiker or The Martian...
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #14
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I liked The Martian, but didn't love it. It's not my favourite book on that list (of the five I've read, anyway.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
On the plus side, Hitchhikers Guide is a series. We all know how much you like those. And you got an omnibus edition, so you won't have to wait to get the next book ...

My vote goes for it, don't forget your towel, and

DON'T
PANIC
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote