Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #406
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@MarjaE

I'm sorry about your problems. Of corurse, you shouldn't have to reinstall Librerator daily (let alone multiple times a day), but I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I don't have DX, only K3, and I use launchpad. I never had the described problems happen to me. Some things that might/might not help:

1. I understand that DX has a rotation sensor. Try turning it off.

2. Going to Screen Saver while running Librerator might be another cause of the problem. Try avoiding it (exit Librerator when not reading). Also, make sure Librerator is closed before connecting the Kindle to PC or charger.

3. DX has less memory than K3. If you use reflow, it might run out of memory. Try staring Librerator with closing Kindle framework first. (You need to use launchpad for this, and key combinations are more difficult, so probably not good for you, but might help someone else:

Shift-L-K - kill kindle framework and start Librerator
Shift-L-R - restart framework after you exit Librerator)

I'm sorry I can't help more.

Regards,
Kai
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #407
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Shift-L-K - kill kindle framework and start Librerator
Shift-L-R - restart framework after you exit Librerator)
I have coordination, problems, and can't do the three-key combinations.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #408
iepaul
iepaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
librerator not launching when pdf selected

i have installed KUAL and Librerator but when I run librerator and select open in documents it lists my documents and I select a pdf. the pdf opens but doesn't appear any different than the standard pdf reader. I am using a kindle 4nt.

what have I done wrong?

iepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #409
erdos
Enthusiast
erdos began at the beginning.

Device: k4, Kobo Clara
i have a question:

with KUAL and Librerator, the document screen display a bunch of .dir folders, how do i hide these folders from view?
erdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #410
Rapid1898
Rapid1898 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One short question for clarification:

When i understand it right i can NOT use this version with my kindle paperwhite?

When yes what is the suggested PDF-reader for jailbreaked paperwhite?
Rapid1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #411
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This is for devices with a physical keyboard.
A PW-1 does not have a physical keyboard.

KOreader is the one for touch-screen devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #412
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Librerator stopped working for me for a while today. I had the glitched screen bug (post 214) for a couple days and now have the success bug (post 211).

I did a hard reset, lost my Kindle collections, still couldn't beat the success bug.

I then restarted my computer which I'd shut down for the day, plugged the Kindle in, replaced the Kite Launchpad and Librerator folders and was able to get into Librerator.

Hope this helps anyone else hitting the same bug.
I am using KindleDXG with Librerator for several years now, and as far as I can tell garbled screens and sometimes crashes come from some sort of conflict between Librerator and Kindle's orientation sensor. The solution that worked for me is to put Kindle into a fixed orientation mode (pressing Aa button and selecting the vertical mode say) before entering Librerator. This disables the sensor, and I haven't seen garbled screens after I started doing that.

The second issue is that Librerator simply can not read pdf and djvu files that are too large, it either freezes, or relapses into the Amazon shell, or simply crashes. I think the limit is roughly 15MB for pdf and 10MB for djvu, but may be lower for some files. It is nothing that hard restart can not fix (holding the switch for 30 seconds, not to be confused with factory reset), but it is best not to attempt opening such files to begin with.

These two issues were responsible for 90% of all crashes and garbled screens that I encountered.
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #413
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... A lot of my pdfs exceed 15 mb, and a lot of my djvus exceed 10 mb; on the Internet Archive the pdf versions are usually significantly larger than the djvu versions. How am I supposed to read these files without opening them?
Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #414
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... A lot of my pdfs exceed 15 mb, and a lot of my djvus exceed 10 mb; on the Internet Archive the pdf versions are usually significantly larger than the djvu versions.

How am I supposed to read these files without opening them?
The same way you read a printed book without opening it;
X-Ray vision.

Try re-wording your question, it does not make sense as written.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #415
MarjaE
Guru

Well, Jedidiyah said:

"I think the limit is roughly 15MB for pdf and 10MB for djvu, but may be lower for some files. It is nothing that hard restart can not fix (holding the switch for 30 seconds, not to be confused with factory reset), but it is best not to attempt opening such files to begin with."

Which is why I replied:

"... A lot of my pdfs exceed 15 mb, and a lot of my djvus exceed 10 mb; on the Internet Archive the pdf versions are usually significantly larger than the djvu versions. How am I supposed to read these files without opening them?"

I bought the Kindle Dx because reading pdfs on the computer meant worsening my rsi, and reading them on the small e-reader meant nasty eye-strain. I tried a number of tablets but can't use any with my disabilities.

In my experience, Librerator provides better readability for pdfs than the Kindle default, and compatibility with djvus. Opening large files hasn't crashed Librerator, but searching large files has sometimes screwed up the files.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #416
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well, Jedidiyah said:

"I think the limit is roughly 15MB for pdf and 10MB for djvu, but may be lower for some files. It is nothing that hard restart can not fix (holding the switch for 30 seconds, not to be confused with factory reset), but it is best not to attempt opening such files to begin with."

Which is why I replied:

"... A lot of my pdfs exceed 15 mb, and a lot of my djvus exceed 10 mb; on the Internet Archive the pdf versions are usually significantly larger than the djvu versions. How am I supposed to read these files without opening them?"

I bought the Kindle Dx because reading pdfs on the computer meant worsening my rsi, and reading them on the small e-reader meant nasty eye-strain. I tried a number of tablets but can't use any with my disabilities.

In my experience, Librerator provides better readability for pdfs than the Kindle default, and compatibility with djvus. Opening large files hasn't crashed Librerator, but searching large files has sometimes screwed up the files.
I could not, and still can not, see the quoted text you where replying to.

The short answer -
Convert them to multi-part books.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #417
MarjaE
Guru

Sice the regular Kindle reader also has trouble with large pdfs, I've started another thread on the problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278698

I don't have Adobe's expensive tools. I have some basic tools, but they can't split most pdfs without expanding them, sometimes to several times their original size, and can't compress them without losing readibility.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #418
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Librerator installation failure (using LaunchPad)

When I typed "Shift Shift I" to command LaunchPad to install Librerator 2 on my Kindle 3, I saw a "Failure" message displayed briefly at the bottom of the Kindle's screen. (Not surprising, Librerator didn't launch after I followed the remainder of the installation instructions.) Anyone care to guess what went wrong, and what I'll need to do to successfully install Librerator 2?

Many years ago I jailbroke my K3 (to install a screensaver hack). So I think the only preparation needed for Librerator, according to the first post of this thread, was to install LaunchPad, create a folder named customupdates (presumably in the Kindle's usb root folder), and copy the Librerator 2 zip file to customupdates. I assume the installation of LaunchPad succeeded (although I'm unsure how to fully test it) since I assume it was LaunchPad that displayed the "Failure" message. The zip file is still in customupdates; would LaunchPad have deleted the zip file if it had successfully installed the app?

I also tried moving the customupdates folder into the launchpad folder, but that produced the same "Failure" message after typing "Shift Shift I".

The Librerator installation instructions don't say where to create the customupdates folder. I guess the author assumed the user would have previously used LaunchPad to install a different app, so that the customupdates folder would already exist. I recommend the installation instructions be revised to say where to create the folder if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks in advance to whoever tries to help.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #419
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast

How to split large pdf files

Quote:
I don't have Adobe's expensive tools. I have some basic tools, but they can't split most pdfs without expanding them, sometimes to several times their original size, and can't compress them without losing readibility.
I've used PDFill PDF Tools Free on my Windows pc to split pdf files. The sizes of the resulting files are smaller, as one would expect. When their sizes are added together, the sum is similar to the size of the original file.

(PDF Tools also has many additional capabilities that people may find useful.)

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #420
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast

Need clarification of an installation step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle3w_Pdfs View Post
... create a folder named customupdates (presumably in the Kindle's usb root folder), and copy the Librerator 2 zip file to customupdates...
Did I misinterpret the installation instructions? Are we supposed to extract the zip file into customupdates, rather than copy it into customupdates?

Thanks again.

UPDATE: I figured out a way to get Librerator to work. Instead of copying the zip file to customupdates and typing "Shift Shift I", I copied the zip file to the Kindle's usb root folder and extracted the zip contents. (I used 7zip to "extract here" but you can use your favorite unzip utility.) Then I deleted the zip file and the unneeded kite folder.

I recommend this workaround be included in the instructions in the first message, for use when "Shift Shift I" fails to install Librerator.

Last edited by Kindle3w_Pdfs; 12-30-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Found a workaround to the problem

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader