Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Issue with backlight since update

Did my 1st update since I got my glo back in Jan. The update was done last night, so its the latest one. I have always found the backlight to be too bright on the glo, so I always use it on the lowest setting.
Now after the update, if I leave the light on min and turn light off or sleep unit, the light will not come back on. The icon displays on the screen and you need to move the slider to bring the light on. This is very annoying if your in a dark room and feel for the switch, you are a bit stuck as you cant see the screen to move the slider.

Kind of wish I had gone for the paperwhite :-/
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What happens if the light is set one tick off of minimum? And did you check to see if your light settings had changed with the update.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for the reply, looks like I am not the only one having the issue looking on these forums. Its hard to land it on 1 tick above the 1 %, if you are slightly higher then the issue goes away. Just a real pain if you loose the backlight and need to move the slider to get it back on. The whole point of getting the device was so I could read whilst the baby was sleeping, putting the main light on to fix the kobos backlight just wakes the baby up.

Spoke with Kobo who where useless and said they had never heard of the issue before.

Tempted to swap for a kindle, was put of by not being able to turn the light off, but TBH I have never had the light off one on the kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What happens if the light is set one tick off of minimum? And did you check to see if your light settings had changed with the update.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My experience with the Glo is the following. If the unit sleeps via the Sleep Cover, when the cover is opened the light comes back on at the same setting (even the 1% setting).

However, if turned off, or it goes to sleep via timeout, the light does not come back on. BUT.. if I press the light button on the top, it comes back on at the 1% setting.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
stethorn
Connoisseur

Even with the latest update ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My experience with the Glo is the following. If the unit sleeps via the Sleep Cover, when the cover is opened the light comes back on at the same setting (even the 1% setting).

However, if turned off, or it goes to sleep via timeout, the light does not come back on. BUT.. if I press the light button on the top, it comes back on at the 1% setting.
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nod..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Not to be a jerk, but are you sure you're on the latest update 2.8.1, and that you've verified it on the Settings: Device Information page? The reason I ask is that the issue you're describing was an issue a few firmware versions back. Have you tried logging off the device and back on and power cycling after the update? Maybe it's some sort of a holdover? Best of luck.

Last edited by TechniSol; 08-06-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: 'cause settings:Device gets you a smiley...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Not to be a jerk, but are you sure you're on the latest update 2.8.1, and that you've verified it on the Settings: Device Information page? The reason I ask is that the issue you're describing was an issue a few firmware versions back. Have you tried logging off the device and back on and power cycling after the update? Maybe it's some sort of a holdover? Best of luck.
I can confirm that the described issue does happen for me in 2.8.1 (official, not sideloaded this time!). It's a nondrama here as I virtually always use the SleepCover and don't ever power off, but it does happen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I have the same problem. After reading at night, I close the sleepcover and the light does not come on again when it is reopened. I have to go to the brightness bar and move it to make it come on. The 'light on' icon is visible throughout.

I upgraded to 2.8.1 last week and the problem has been present ever since. A real pain.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Must have fixed it and then broken it again...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,

I experienced the same issue yesterday after my update.
If light set-up at 1%, it does not light on when the device wakes up after sleeping (via switch).

But starting 2% birghtness, everything works just fine.

Annoying indeed as I use light mainly to read in the dark. And 2 % is really bright (1% as well, but better than nothing).
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
FencepostErr1r
Enthusiast
FencepostErr1r began at the beginning.

I got hit with this issue after a factory reset and upgrade via wifi to FW 3.1.1.
When I put the device into sleep mode, the behaviour seems to have changed from the previous version (2.8.1 I guess). First the light is turned off and than the screen shuts off three quarters of a second later.
Any suggestions beside putting it on 2& brightness? (Q-Tips are handy for achieving that with ease.)

-FencepostErr1r
FencepostErr1r is offline   Reply With Quote